Author Topic: Duke is about to lose to a 15-seed  (Read 9957 times)

Re: Duke is about to lose to a 15-seed
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
I doubt Doc is a in a good mood right now. I agree with you guys on his son. He needs to stay in college at least another season.

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Duke hasn't been a supreme program for over 5 years. No one will listen because they won the tournament in 2010, but that tournament was one of the flukiest ever and they coasted through a wide open bracket using a 7' (Zoubek) that no one could box out beating mid-major Butler for the title. And Austin Rivers, the hype is an absolute joke. He has a lot to learn. Needs to stay 3 years at least...would not touch him in THIS YEAR'S draft with a ten foot pole.
come on now, they beat Purdue, Butler, and West Virginia along the way.  All finished in the top 2 (at least tied for it) of big time conferences that year.  It wasn't like they played a bunch of high seeds as a result of upsets. 16, 8, 4, 3, 2, and then Butler was a 5 in the finals.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
so maybe austin rivers stock drops a little now? to our pick range

I doubt he even enters the NBA draft now, what's the point if he's not going to be a lottery pick. Not like he needs the money , his pops is loaded

Because he would likely have interest in playing for us and the C's are sitting pretty with 2 1st rd picks and a 2nd. We have the assets (picks), resources (ownership willing to spend), need (need a 2 guard to replace Ray eventually), and motivation (Doc would probably want to coach Austin) to get it done.

I seriously doubt this will be a factor in Austin Rivers decision.  A promise from the Cs is not necessarily what he would want.  What good would be a guarantee to be the third PG behind Rondo and Avery Bradley?  I guess he could play SG but why bother when he can be BMOC at Duke for another year and if he improves get picked in the lottery the next year, likely start earlier in his career, and get more guaranteed money. It's a no brainer for him to stay another year especially since so many prospects didn't declare last year due to the lock out.

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
IMO the difference from mid majors nd powerhouses aint dat large as it used to be due to all the 1 nd done players leavin nd the actual chemistry nd team play of the smaller schools. Plus players at the powerhouses aint even skilled like they used to be

I think the other difference is that due to drastically increased TV coverage, you don't need to go to a top 8 school in order to get noticed, so the top schools aren't quite as stacked top to bottom as they used to be. It's better to be The Man at Marquette or something than be the 7th man at Duke.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
13 scholarships versus 15, one and dones, better tv exposure but man this tourny has been crazy to pick the past 2 years.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Duke hasn't been a supreme program for over 5 years. No one will listen because they won the tournament in 2010, but that tournament was one of the flukiest ever and they coasted through a wide open bracket using a 7' (Zoubek) that no one could box out beating mid-major Butler for the title. And Austin Rivers, the hype is an absolute joke. He has a lot to learn. Needs to stay 3 years at least...would not touch him in THIS YEAR'S draft with a ten foot pole.
come on now, they beat Purdue, Butler, and West Virginia along the way.  All finished in the top 2 (at least tied for it) of big time conferences that year.  It wasn't like they played a bunch of high seeds as a result of upsets. 16, 8, 4, 3, 2, and then Butler was a 5 in the finals.

The highest seed they played that year was WVU who was a 2 seed. They played a 16, 8, 4, 2, and 5 as you said. And that WVU team lost one of their best players, Da'Sean Butler, in that game against Duke. Most teams that win titles face much tougher roads especially later in tournaments. And Butler was inches away from beating them in the title game. If you don't think that was a fluky tournament, then I don't know what is. Since 2004 (with the exception of that year), the best Duke has finished has been the Sweet 16 despite the following seeds: 1 (2005), 1 (2006), 6 (2007), 2 (2008), 2 (2009), 1 (2010), 1 (2011), 2 (2012). That is NOT good.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 10:32:50 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
There goes my bracket... Mizzou and Duke  ::)

Mine too! I went out on a limb for Duke to pull it all off... Darn my bracket jinks
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good to see Duke choke it up.  Now maybe peeps will shut up about Austin Rivers here.  I didn't pick them to get beat but had them getting upset later.

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Good to see Duke choke it up.  Now maybe peeps will shut up about Austin Rivers here.  I didn't pick them to get beat but had them getting upset later.

If Austin RIvers comes out and slips to the Celtics I think that would be nice value.

He has a future in the NBA as a scorer...reminds me of Brandon Roy.

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This isn't too surprising to me.  I'm a big Duke fan, and have to say I saw an early exit coming (although I didn't expect it to be this early).

I do have to laugh at all the folks who are so overwhelming happy Duke lost.  That's how you know you're good, when other's enjoy you losing.  The urban dictionary calls these people "haters".

I am LOVING this....duke is my all time least favorite college basketball team (full disclosure..I'm a UConn fan).  

This right here proves my point.  UConn lost too, but I couldn't care less.  UConn isn't even on my radar.  There is only one team that concerns me.  UNC-Loathe them!

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:01 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
This isn't too surprising to me.  I'm a big Duke fan, and have to say I saw an early exit coming (although I didn't expect it to be this early).

I do have to laugh at all the folks who are so overwhelming happy Duke lost.  That's how you know you're good, when other's enjoy you losing.  The urban dictionary calls these people "haters".

I am LOVING this....duke is my all time least favorite college basketball team (full disclosure..I'm a UConn fan).  

This right here proves my point.  UConn lost too, but I couldn't care less.  UConn isn't even on my radar.  There is only one team that concerns me.  UNC-Loathe them!

It's not the winning. It's the squeaky clean reputation and good kids.

I know I sound sarcastic but I'm serious. Duke has been the model of a college bball program forever now with no sign of slowing down and no real scandal.

It doesnt seem real and therefor, isnt relatable for alot of casual college bball fans.

I know I dont like seeing them win. The psyche of American sports fans is a funny thing isnt it?

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 12:49:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
2's Duke and Missouri losing. Busted my bracket. But oh what a day for for college basketball.

After having that 16 seend UNC-A scare Syracuse. And not a lot of upsets, the 2nd day was full of MADNESS.

Now to Austin Rivers. I think he'll stay. I think Doc will tell him to stay. After this loss, Doc will go "look son, if you can't out play CJ McCollum, you're not NBA ready."
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 12:55:50 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I am not sure why there are a lot of comments about Austin going to the C's.  I think that would be the WORST landing spot for him.  Too much pressure with Dad coaching, too weird, too hard on their relationship to be a good fit.

Plus, I agree with most out there.  AR isn't ready for the NBA yet.  He has shown flashes, but I think he would benefit from 1-2 more years practicing his craft and becoming a better player on D.

[/quote]

If Austin RIvers comes out and slips to the Celtics I think that would be nice value.

He has a future in the NBA as a scorer...reminds me of Brandon Roy.
[/quote]

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

It's not the winning. It's the squeaky clean reputation and good kids.

I know I sound sarcastic but I'm serious. Duke has been the model of a college bball program forever now with no sign of slowing down and no real scandal.

It doesnt seem real and therefor, isnt relatable for alot of casual college bball fans.

I know I dont like seeing them win. The psyche of American sports fans is a funny thing isnt it?

They're not squeaky clean. The NCAA is just afraid to punish Coach K and ruin one of the only clean-appearing upper echelon college basketball programs.

"2000: After leaving Duke, former star Corey Maggette admits to accepting thousands of dollars from summer-league coach Myron Piggie. Though such payments would presumably have made Maggette ineligible, the NCAA declines to strip Duke of its Final Four appearance. The Blue Devils, in fact, aren’t punished at all. This undoubtedly confuses John Calipari."

An entertaining read: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/03/duke_basketball_the_18_most_hateable_moments_in_the_history_of_blue_devils_basketball_.single.html

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 02:11:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great game by Lehigh.  It takes a heck of a school to make Duke's players look bad and their cheerleaders look good.