Author Topic: Building around Rondo  (Read 8522 times)

Re: Building around Rondo
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the plan needs to be go for the big fish, and if that fails, punt the flexibility for another year.  For example, would you trade a 2nd to Orlando for Nelson, Reddick and a 1st (both players in their last year) if Orlando was looking for a way to create cap space to sign Deron Williams?  Then, Boston can look to sell Nelson to a team in need of a PG. 

Well, Redick is completely unguaranteed next season, so they can just waive him.  Orlando needs to move Turkoglu's contract to do anything.  If I wanted to commit a full-on rebuild, I would seriously consider seeing if I could extract more than two first round picks as compensation for taking on Turkoglu's contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
i wish this team could build around rondo, but i doubt they can  rondo needs to really put this team on his back @ all cost. 4 points last night really? and 8 points two nights before? how can someone be a star playing like that the thunder was down badly against the spurs even tho okc lost westbrook still fought to get his team the win. the trade talk is over now does that give rondo an excuse to start having awful games?

Consistency, or the lack thereof.

Until Rondo plays with some remote level of consistency, any attempt to rebuild around him will bomb this franchise back to the Pitino days.

Now you know why the attempts to move him.

Remember where you heard it first.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the plan needs to be go for the big fish, and if that fails, punt the flexibility for another year.  For example, would you trade a 2nd to Orlando for Nelson, Reddick and a 1st (both players in their last year) if Orlando was looking for a way to create cap space to sign Deron Williams?  Then, Boston can look to sell Nelson to a team in need of a PG. 

Well, Redick is completely unguaranteed next season, so they can just waive him.  Orlando needs to move Turkoglu's contract to do anything.  If I wanted to commit a full-on rebuild, I would seriously consider seeing if I could extract more than two first round picks as compensation for taking on Turkoglu's contract.

Did not know that.  (Reddick)

I would be a little worried about taking on more then one season of contracts.  If the team didn't already have Rondo and were starting from scratch, maybe. 

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »

Offline Tone

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think we should try to get OJ Mayo and trade for Josh Smith in the summer it would be good to surround Rondo with these players

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If the celtics did the milsap for pierce trade I previously proposed Danny could then follow this trade up with a FA offer to one of this years FA centers. Kaman at 2-3 years 12mill or Hawes at 3 years 10 mill would be solid and safe offers. If Kaman excepted then the team is as follows

with at least 1 rookie 1st rounder to add and possibly 6million dollars free (j green for 6mill, kaman for 12 mill) if no additional salaries are taken on from milsap trade. EDIT this would actually be a bigger free cap number if no salaries in addition to milsaps where taken on a possible 12-13 million free cap. This could be enough to offer 12 mill to Batum and try to steal him from Portland or make stern go near max or eric gordon.

stats are reasonable projections based on 100% healthy and previous career bests.

PG Rondo (26) stats 15pts 5rb 10as
SG ??
SF J Green (25) stats 15pts 5rb
PF Milsap (27) stats 20pt 9rb
C  Kaman (30)  stats 13pt 8rb
6th  ??SF
7th Avery (21)
8th JJJ (24)
9th ??PG
10th Steimsma

the Cs would either have to start avery,try to resign ray for 6 mill, draft a SG, or find a vet on a one year deal to fill the void at SG. The bench would have to be filled with vets at min and draft picks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:13:17 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:35 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If the celtics did the milsap for pierce trade I previously proposed Danny could then follow this trade up with a FA offer to one of this years FA centers. Kaman at 2-3 years 12mill or Hawes at 3 years 10 mill would be solid and safe offers. If Kaman excepted then the team is as follows

with at least 1 rookie 1st rounder to add and possibly 6million dollars free (j green for 6mill, kaman for 12 mill) if no additional salaries are taken on from milsap trade.

stats are reasonable projections based on 100% healthy and previous career bests.

PG Rondo (26) stats 15pts 5rb 10as
SG ??
SF J Green (25) stats 15pts 5rb
PF Milsap (27) stats 20pt 9rb
C  Kaman (30)  stats 13pt 8rb
6th  ??SF
7th Avery (21)
8th JJJ (24)
9th ??PG
10th Steimsma

the Cs would either have to start avery,try to resign ray for 6 mill, draft a SG, or find a vet on a one year deal to fill the void at SG. The bench would have to be filled with vets at min and draft picks.

OJ Mayo?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
OJ Mayo?

I have always been a fan of the Cs adding Mayo. However i worry that with the abundance of free cap space and the relatively weak FA class someone is going to over pay for OJ. His resemblance to Ben Gordon worries me.

The 2013 class is pretty strong in SGs so the celtics may be better of waiting it out.

The ideal situation is the Celtics draft Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb, Terrance Ross, Brad Beal or another rookie SG who ends up beating Avery out for the starting spot. Then the free cap space can be used to sign a FA or trade and take on a veterans contract who can carry the bench.

On paper if the celtics have a shooting guard at least as good as mayo and J Green returns to the 15 and 5 player he was they would actually match up pretty favorably to Orlando and Chicago.

Boston    Magic      Bulls
Rondo     Nelson     Rose
Mayo*     Redick     Hamilton
J Green   Richardon  Deng
Milsap    Anderson   Boozer
Kaman     Howard     Noah

as I edited above the milsap trade could actually gain the Cs an extra 7 million dollars in free cap space, if the Cs dont take on any players in addition to milsap. This would actually leave danny a possible 11-12 million in addition to the moves ive proposed above.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:02:49 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings – $5.3 million – Restricted ($6.9 million Qualifying Offer)
James Harden, Oklahoma City Thunder – $5.8 million – Restricted ($7.6 million Qualifying Offer)
DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors – $3.3 million – Restricted ($4.5 million Qualifying Offer)

These three guys could all be targets for the Celtics shooting guard in 2013 with the 6milion unspent this off-season and the 6 million the pierce trade would gain us.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I have always been a fan of the Cs adding Mayo. However i worry that with the abundance of free cap space and the relatively weak FA class someone is going to over pay for OJ. His resemblance to Ben Gordon worries me.

I'm sort of the opinion that for a shooting guard considered to be a one-way player not particularly useful on defense to be a good fit for the Celtics, he must be about as good on offense as Ray Allen.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I'm sort of the opinion that for a shooting guard considered to be a one-way player not particularly useful on defense to be a good fit for the Celtics, he must be about as good on offense as Ray Allen.

I agree a one dimensional offensive SG shoot be at least as good as Ray on offense. Ray's style of offense is actually a benefit on defense, much like reggie miller's constant movement on offense used to do they ware down the opposing defender which in turns takes away some of there opponents offense.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet