Author Topic: Building around Rondo  (Read 8523 times)

Building around Rondo
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
As ive stated in my prevous post "Danny'y Plan" I think the celtics will hold onto there cap flexibility and look to 2013 to actually spend free agent money for the future. Using this FA money, Draft picks and possibly trading pierces contract the Cs need to build a team presumably around Rondo. If we use the more team friendly no super star approach (like the billups lead piston) we need to fill our starting lineup with players who are boarder line allstar at all 5 positions.

With that im mind I see 2 possibly 4 pieces currently involved with this organization that could have roles in our next push for a ring. Danny's plan should be use cap space, draft picks, and a possible pierce trade to fill in the voids.

1.Rondo will by default be our future captian/leader

2.Avery could fit in nicely as a future 3rd guard/7th man

3.J Green (if healthy) will either thrive and be our future starting SF, come back the player he was before the health problems and be a good 6th man 3/4, or not make it back to where he was and be a 8-9th bench player

4.JJJ could continue his development and be a nice 3rd big. I don't ever see him as a starting caliber PF on a championship team but definitely an above average 3rd big.

PG Rondo
SG ??
SF ?? or J Green
PF ??
C  ??
6th J Green, ??
7th Avery
8th JJJ

who would you realistically plug into the ?? spots and how do you see them being attained?

PF: I could see us signing Milsap in 2013 as a FA

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Building around Rondo
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think that Rondo should be surrounded by bigs who can shoot on the perimeter.  I would happily bring back KG to play center or to come off the bench as a C/PF for the next 2 years.  I would go after restricted free agent Ryan Anderson, who I think Orlando undervalues and may allow to go elsewhere because they don't see him as the star they want beside Dwight Howard.  He's an intelligent player who can shoot threes but also has a decent post game and he's a monster offensive rebounder who actually leads the Magic in offensive rebounding percentage, not Dwight.

For SG, I'd seek out a tall three-and-D wing who can catch-and-shoot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
pg-rondo
sg-
sf-jeff green
pf-josh smith
c-garnett

bench:
pierce (maybe starting sg) , pietrus, bradley, jjj, stiesma, wilcox if healthy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
first off, this can and should be a quick rebuild for no other reason that both Pierce and Ray have a lot left in the tank.

It's all about replacing KG with a shot blocking Center
(hence my last Javale Mcgee post)

add a premier 5 to play alongside Bass up front, and we'll keep it rolling.  Add J Green and Bradley off the bench, we'd be a threat for the ECF. 

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I also am a big fan of Ryan Anderson and feel he would be a great fit with Rondo. My fear is that a team like NJ is going to pay him like Charlie Villanuava was and Anderson isnt worth that to the Cs. If he could be signed for 4 years for under 9 mill then I would do that and risk not having enough $$ for Green, Ray, KG and Bass
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
One of the unrestricted free agents seldom mentioned is 24 yo Ilyasova, who is one of the best pfs in the east this season. In the 16 games he has played 30+ minutes this season he averages close to 19-11. As a starter this season he averages 14-9 (compared to Andersons 16-8).  

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
first off, this can and should be a quick rebuild for no other reason that both Pierce and Ray have a lot left in the tank.

I would rather keep KG than Ray.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I would rather keep KG than Ray.
as would I , ray has lost a step this year, very noticeable in him trying to get free for jump shot which has stagnated the offense and his defense
granted if ray would sign for 5m or less and agree to come off bench i'd welcome him for a couple years

Not sure on kg retiring he is such a competitor that if he can't play at a level he's happy with he might just hang it up.  I'd love to have him back and then when he retires become big man/defensive coach.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
boston goal in 2012 should be : mix pure athleticism with scoring vets

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Maybe, but I'd like to add a no knuckleheads or chuckers rule in the search for more athleticism.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Maybe, but I'd like to add a no knuckleheads or chuckers rule in the search for more athleticism.

i guess a josh smith trade is out of the question on draft night lol.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
As ive stated in my prevous post "Danny'y Plan" I think the celtics will hold onto there cap flexibility and look to 2013 to actually spend free agent money for the future. Using this FA money, Draft picks and possibly trading pierces contract the Cs need to build a team presumably around Rondo. If we use the more team friendly no super star approach (like the billups lead piston) we need to fill our starting lineup with players who are boarder line allstar at all 5 positions.

With that im mind I see 2 possibly 4 pieces currently involved with this organization that could have roles in our next push for a ring. Danny's plan should be use cap space, draft picks, and a possible pierce trade to fill in the voids.

1.Rondo will by default be our future captian/leader

2.Avery could fit in nicely as a future 3rd guard/7th man

3.J Green (if healthy) will either thrive and be our future starting SF, come back the player he was before the health problems and be a good 6th man 3/4, or not make it back to where he was and be a 8-9th bench player

4.JJJ could continue his development and be a nice 3rd big. I don't ever see him as a starting caliber PF on a championship team but definitely an above average 3rd big.

PG Rondo
SG ??
SF ?? or J Green
PF ??
C  ??
6th J Green, ??
7th Avery
8th JJJ

who would you realistically plug into the ?? spots and how do you see them being attained?

PF: I could see us signing Milsap in 2013 as a FA

pg: rondo
sg: Nic Batum
sf: Paul
pf: KG
C: Omer Asik (if we can somehow lure him away from chicago who seems to cherish him like hes wilt chamberlain)
6 man: Jeff Green (future starting sf)
Avery
JJ
Etwaun

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
One of the unrestricted free agents seldom mentioned is 24 yo Ilyasova, who is one of the best pfs in the east this season. In the 16 games he has played 30+ minutes this season he averages close to 19-11. As a starter this season he averages 14-9 (compared to Andersons 16-8). 

I feel the same way about Ilysova that I do about Anderson. They would be great but im afraid the Cs would have to over pay. He has the added threat of competing with European teams for him in free agency.

Also I don't think that KG or Ray have a place in building around Rondo. Since the Big 3 have been in boston the celtics have been built around them. Now is the time for the transition to a Rondo led team. Whether KG or Ray are back next year is a mute point im looking at least 2 years down the road when we can try to compete for another ring.I like the idea of keeping kg and ray around for the transition, I feel that solid veterans help to expedite the growth of young players but they should only be a side note in the plan not really a part of it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:05:05 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
This Draft is going to be HUGE for this rebuild. Right now according to draf.net we hold the 18th and 20th picks. Danny needs to target a player and if needed use both those picks to get him. Then if we he does trade 2 for 1 he should buy another pick in the 2nd round. Hitting on a rotational player in the 2nd round goes a long way in accumulating assets because they are cheap and very trade-able.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
RONDO
SCOLA
WILLIAMS
ALDRIDGE