Author Topic: Danny's Plan (idea)  (Read 21476 times)

Re: Danny's Plan (idea)
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The problem with Sullinger is that he doesn't really have a great chance of being a star.  His absolute cieling is probably Elton Brand, and it has been looking like he might not be athletic enough to even get there (although I do think things could change when he gets with an NBA trainer/dealer).

But, I think there is little doubt that Sullinger will be at the very least a very solid rotation big man, providing he doesn't go on the Michael Sweetney diet.  He has great basketball IQ, great ball skills, a good motor, and quick feet for a man his size.  

A lot will depend on his measurements, but I think he is also bigger than other undersized big men like Big Baby, Dujuan Blair, Brandon Bass, etc.  

Also, a lot of the complaints about him has been about his struggles to get shots off against bigger defenders, but I think this has a lot more to do with the way he is being defended as one of the top players in the country.  I think its absolutely a concern if your team is looking for a #1 or #2 option.  He will fall short there.  However, if you have other options, and just ask him to be a bruiser and rebounder, who can score against single coverage, or pass out of double teams, then he will be just fine.

He has a chance to slide out of the lottery because of the strength of the draft, and his lower upside, but he is an absolute steal in the mid first round, and I would be shocked if he doesn't have a 10 year NBA career, and I expect him to be at least as good as guys like Bass and Blair.
I think Sullinger's potential caps at Kris Humphries and not Elton Brand, unless of course you mean the post injury, older, Sixers' version of Brand.

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think Sullinger's potential caps at Kris Humphries and not Elton Brand, unless of course you mean the post injury, older, Sixers' version of Brand.

He is a much different player then Humphries. Sullinger is a legit post scorer with a back to the basket game. Sullinger is very similar to Carlos Boozer. He will be a no thrill boarder line allstar who will never be featured on sportscenter.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sullinger is not as athletic as Boozer.  Boozer can play against taller guys Sullinger wilts.  He is over rated.

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Sullinger is not as athletic as Boozer.  Boozer can play against taller guys Sullinger wilts.  He is over rated.
I've never been a big fan of Sullinger as a pro. He's a very good college player who's game won't translate to the pros all that well. I don't think he'll be Boozer, Brand or Humphries...I see him more as a Marcus Fizer. Maybe Sullinger will prove me wrong, but I see him as a 10/6 backup PF in the NBA.

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
The problem with Sullinger is that he doesn't really have a great chance of being a star.  His absolute cieling is probably Elton Brand, and it has been looking like he might not be athletic enough to even get there (although I do think things could change when he gets with an NBA trainer/dealer).

But, I think there is little doubt that Sullinger will be at the very least a very solid rotation big man, providing he doesn't go on the Michael Sweetney diet.  He has great basketball IQ, great ball skills, a good motor, and quick feet for a man his size.  

A lot will depend on his measurements, but I think he is also bigger than other undersized big men like Big Baby, Dujuan Blair, Brandon Bass, etc.  

Also, a lot of the complaints about him has been about his struggles to get shots off against bigger defenders, but I think this has a lot more to do with the way he is being defended as one of the top players in the country.  I think its absolutely a concern if your team is looking for a #1 or #2 option.  He will fall short there.  However, if you have other options, and just ask him to be a bruiser and rebounder, who can score against single coverage, or pass out of double teams, then he will be just fine.

He has a chance to slide out of the lottery because of the strength of the draft, and his lower upside, but he is an absolute steal in the mid first round, and I would be shocked if he doesn't have a 10 year NBA career, and I expect him to be at least as good as guys like Bass and Blair.

I certainly agree. Don't look over Elton Brand's early career where he was easily a 20-10 player night in and night out. So, if the ceiling is Brand for someone, probably he will not be on the board past the fifth pick.
I doubt Sullinger has such potential, though. He may end up playing little minutes from the bench for much of his whole career.
Hope he proves me wrong. Have heard somewhere that his work ethic is good and I like players with good character no matter what level of natural talent they possess.

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
.I see him more as a Marcus Fizer. Maybe Sullinger will prove me wrong, but I see him as a 10/6 backup PF in the NBA.

Fizer was more of a 4/3. Sullinger is a 4/5.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2012, 07:48:39 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
We go into the next season with these players for sure:

Rondo
Bradley
Pierce
Stiemer
JJJ
Moore

I would offer a multi-year deal to the following players, at or their value now (though I'd prefer one year):

Bass
Pietrus

I would offer a multi-year deal to the following player, below his value now (though I prefer one):

KG

I would offer a one-year deal, at or below current market value, for the following players:

Ray
Sasha
J Green

I would let all these guys walk:

Dooling
Quise
Wilcox

My preferred roster without draft picks, any signings or trades:

1 - Rondo, Bradley, Moore
2 - Bradley, Pietrus, Sasha
3 - Pierce, Pietrus, Green, JJJ, Sasha
4 - Bass, Green, JJJ
5 - KG, Stiemer

I think this roster is more than possible to put together at a reasonable price, while keeping maximum cap flexibility for 2013-2014.

The two wildcards here are KG and Bass.  KG is worth a 2-year deal in my opinion, at $12M per.  He will definitely get an offer north of that in Free Agency this offseason.  He is playing too well, and could easily be the final piece to a championship team.  Bass is having his best year ever in the NBA, is in great shape, and is just young enough to get one more big multi-year deal.  I honestly think Bass will depart, but KG might just stay in Boston at a discount if we have a competitive team.

So if you remove Bass, we still have Green and JJJ, along with KG, at the 4.  If we lose KG too...we have a lot of work to do.

But that is the shell to build off of.