Author Topic: Danny's Plan (idea)  (Read 21444 times)

Re: Danny's Plan (idea)
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Way to much to give up for Sullinger plus he's not a Center.  He's actually an udersized (6'8 or so) Power Forward.  I'm in Big 10 county and saw him play a ton this year and he just out muscled people in college which he won't do as much in the pros.  In college he averaged just 9 RPG so I don't see him averaging more in the Pros.  If he falls to us fine or if we have to give up an extra #2 maybe but not both #1's..

He was measured with shoes on at the Adidas camp at 6'10 with a 7'1 wingspan. Rebounding numbers ussually transfer evenly or favorably from the NCAA to College Kevin love averaged 10.6 rebounds a game in college and is averaging 13 per this year (with a similare physical profile to Sullinger) Emeka Okafor's rebounding average from college to pros is almost identical. At 6'9- 6'10 265-275 he will still be able to muscle guys in the pros with a few hand full of exceptions most NBA bigs lack significant lower body strength, just looking at Sullinger I would field the guess that he would out squat 95% of the NBA's big men.

Then why does Ohio State list him at 6'9? 

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/osu-m-baskbl-mtt.html

I would think they (OSU) would be a little more accurate than an addidas camp, don't you... I've never heard any school list a player smaller than what he actually is in college, have you? Hes not a Center sorry, but an excellent PF prospect as mentioned by every single scouting service. 

Here's a couple of scouting reports showing him as a 6'9 Power forward (not a Center)

http://swishscout.com/?page_id=683

http://bloguin.com/articles/college/scouting-report-jared-sullinger.html

Players get measured two ways, with and without shoes. If measured in shoes most camps will state as such. But he is 6'9".

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I really don't think 6'9" vs 6'10" is that big of a deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't think 6'9" vs 6'10" is that big of a deal.
Not really, length matters more. He's not very long for a PF either.

He's going to be a PF in the NBA is my guess.

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I wonder how much value Pierce will have as a semi-expiring/semi-star vet this coming offseason.

Anyone think San Antonio would do something like Jackson and Kawhi Leonard for Pierce?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
austin rivers is a part of it.

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Im hoping he goes after Eric Gordon. Rondo+Gordon+Green would be an inexpensive (somewhat) and attractive core.

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Im hoping he goes after Eric Gordon. Rondo+Gordon+Green would be an inexpensive (somewhat) and attractive core.
Given the contract offer New Orleans gave to Gordon which he turned down I don't think he'll come cheap at all. The C's would have to offer him max money for New Orleans to even think about not matching.

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 08:26:31 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I just want to say something on Jeff Green. He was mentioned as a power forward and as a part to the future core. I like Jeff Green and am one of the few who still thinks the trade was a good idea. But his problem in his career has been miscasting on two fronts.

First, as a power forward - that's not him. He's a small forward and belongs on the wing. He's a pretty [dang] good perimeter defender, has a decent shot, and can cut to the basket, but doesn't have an interior game against power forwards on either end of the court. Second, he is miscast as a core offensive player. He's an okay offensive player who doesn't get in the way, gives you some points, moves the ball, moves pretty well off the ball, and is an above average perimeter (but again, not interior) defender and very good teammate. Green can start, as long as he's your small forward and you have two near-elite or three good offensive options. Or he can be a quality sixth man, but not the kind you rely on to give you an offensive explosion because he doesn't create his own shot.

That's why I think 3 years, $18-20 million, with the third year only partially guaranteed, is the right kind of deal for him. I would like to resign him for that and keep him as a good bench player. But you still have a problem with who you're starting games with and are gonna struggle to fill that center hole.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I just want to say something on Jeff Green. He was mentioned as a power forward and as a part to the future core.

I agree Green is a SF who can play some PF. I only listed him as a PF for next year because with plan I layed out the Cs would be very thin at PF and Green would have to play there for a season by default. This is fare from ideal.

My favorite scenario (posted in my build around rondo threat) would be Pierce gets traded in a 3 way trade for Paul Milsap,resign J Green, the Cs draft a starting SG, and sign a FA center.

Then J Green starts at SF and Bradely is our 6th-7th man and backs up both guard positions.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here is my new tweak for the plan for next year (obviously, its very fluid, but this is what I would try to do as of now):

1. Resign KG.  If he will sign for 1 year, great, but I think the sweet spot is going to be more like 2 years/$24 million.  I think he will be offered more elsewhere, but that will be a serious enough offer to get him to stay in Boston.

2. Resign Jeff Green to a 1 year deal.  Probably going to cost something similar to his original qualifying offer, but they have been laying the groundwork all year, so hopefully he chooses the C's as his venue to prove he deserves a big contract.

3. Make a 3-way sign and trade deal, sending Ray to Chicago, Asik to Atlanta, and Bass also to Atlanta (I like Bass, but much like Davis, he is going to become dramatically overpaid this summer, and I don't want it coming from the C's), and sending Josh Smith to Boston.  I am not a huge Smith fan, but on a 1 year deal, where you are not giving up a ton of future assets, its a no brainer.

4. Draft a couple good players.

5. Use the MLE to sign a young wing or center who might be undervalued (wing is MUCH more likely, since Centers are so overpriced).  Ideally try to sell a guy like Mayo on a 2-3 year "prove it" contract, like Charlotte did with Gerald Wallace.

6. Use the LLE and vet minimum contracts to fill out the roster with guys on 1 year deals.

So, essentially, here is the Core of the team next year:

PG: Rondo, Bradley
SG: Mayo(?)
SF: Pierce, Green
PF: Smith, Johnson
C: KG

Plus draft picks, signings, etc.

That is likely not a championship team, but they will be fun to watch.  And more importantly, they will remain very flexible going forward.  Smith and Green will be expiring contracts, KG and Pierce could both be cut after the year for only ~$4+ million cap hits each, if they want more cap space the following summer...and they also will likely be pretty tradable if they don't fall off a cliff.  And you also put together some young guys who are going to get the chance to prove to you whether they are keepers or not, while still maintaining a strong veterance presence and culture around them. 

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
1. Resign KG.  If he will sign for 1 year, great, but I think the sweet spot is going to be more like 2 years/$24 million.  I think he will be offered more elsewhere, but that will be a serious enough offer to get him to stay in Boston.

2. Resign Jeff Green to a 1 year deal.  Probably going to cost something similar to his original qualifying offer, but they have been laying the groundwork all year, so hopefully he chooses the C's as his venue to prove he deserves a big contract.
I am thinking two years $20 million for Garnett and one year $3 million for Jeff Green.

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I am thinking two years $20 million for Garnett and one year $3 million for Jeff Green.

Which would make this an even more no-brainer.  I am just trying to be "realistic" about what the market will be for these guys.  And by realistic, I mean erring on the side of caution. 

I could certainly see those numbers being where it ends up, but I also could see some other teams throwing a wrench in it, and forcing them to pay more of a premium for such a short term deal.

I mean, with Kevin especially, I think he has been pretty clearly been a top 5 center in the league this year, and when you realize that Kwame Brown made $7 million last season, its not hard to imagine that a few teams would be willing to throw a lot of money his way. 

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is the plan I posted in the Building around Rondo thread. I figured doing a three team trade to send out Pierce and get milsap. The voids left at SG and 6th man would ideally be filled with rookies or vets on 1 year deals.

If the celtics did the milsap for pierce trade I previously proposed Danny could then follow this trade up with a FA offer to one of this years FA centers. Kaman at 2-3 years 12mill or Hawes at 3 years 10 mill would be solid and safe offers. If Kaman excepted then the team is as follows

with at least 1 rookie 1st rounder to add and possibly 6million dollars free (j green for 6mill, kaman for 12 mill) if no additional salaries are taken on from milsap trade. EDIT this would actually be a bigger free cap number if no salaries in addition to milsaps where taken on a possible 12-13 million free cap. This could be enough to offer 12 mill to Batum and try to steal him from Portland or make stern go near max or eric gordon.

stats are reasonable projections based on 100% healthy and previous career bests.

PG Rondo (26) stats 15pts 5rb 10as
SG ??
SF J Green (25) stats 15pts 5rb
PF Milsap (27) stats 20pt 9rb
C  Kaman (30)  stats 13pt 8rb
6th  ??SF
7th Avery (21)
8th JJJ (24)
9th ??PG
10th Steimsma

the Cs would either have to start avery,try to resign ray for 6 mill, draft a SG, or find a vet on a one year deal to fill the void at SG. The bench would have to be filled with vets at min and draft picks.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

You think $3 mil will fetch Jeff Green?  I'm not sure there's enough fear over Jeff's ability to play post-surgery to drop him to 1/3 of the value he commanded last offseason.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You think $3 mil will fetch Jeff Green?  I'm not sure there's enough fear over Jeff's ability to play post-surgery to drop him to 1/3 of the value he commanded last offseason.

This all depends on insurance companies.  If they won't insure him until he proves he is not going to drop dead on the court, then I think it is realistic to think that teams are not going to be willing to pay a premium for him.