Author Topic: Boston/Washington Idea  (Read 8700 times)

Re: Boston/Washington Idea
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 12:34:27 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Two things:

1) People need to stop being so selective and quite frankly unrealistic. Yes, maybe McGee and Blatche aren't good fits, but we aren't in a position to do much else besides take risks on flawed players or take salary back in exchange for sweeteners.  If not this deal, these are the types of deals that Danny likely is going to have to choose from.  I swear some people on this board would shoot down LeBron for  second round pick ideas because he doesn't have a good jump shot, has never won anything, and has a contract that hurts our cap flexibility (not to mention studs like Leon Powe and Ryan Gomes can be found in the second round).

2) While I am not completely sold on the OP's trade proposal, I have been thinking more and more that if Danny is going to make a deal, this is the type of deal to make. First let me say that I am OK with Danny sitting pat and not making a trade. However it is looking more and more like there won't be anyone worth signing to max deals this summer anyway. The last thing we want to do is spend for the sake of spending like Dumars did a few years back when he inked Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to ridiculous contracts. Thus, I'd be on board with Danny offering to take back salary for a year or two (though preferably not 3 like with Blatche) in exchange for sweeteners that could blossom in a better environment (like McGee).

We could then bring back Ray and KG, nurture the rebuilding team for a year or two and then begin setting ourselves up for the summer of 2013 or 2014.

TP.

People are really acting like we have our pick of all the great starting centers in the NBA. We don't. We have a hole in the middle, a huge hole that just has not been filled since the Perk trade. We have to get someone there. How many times do we have to see other teams get to the basket at will, how many times do we have to get out rebounded by double digits before we say enough is enough?

Javale McGee would never be my first choice. Or second...third...fourth...fifth...you get the point. But with the situation we're in now, I would take him. The Wizards have young, talented players who just can't seem to get it right. We've been able to mold players before, and I think McGee could be one of those players. He's young and healthy which is more than we can say of anyone we've had in that position for the past what...2, 3 years now?

Javale McGee is low risk, high reward IMO. Not sure about giving up those first rounders though.

You have it backwards.

This is a high risk, low reward.

If it works out, the Celtics are overpaying for role players.

But chances are, it doesn't work out and the Celtics are looking for creative ways to give them away much like the Wizards are doing. 

It's high risk because of Blatche's contract

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
\If you think we are out of options and that therefore trading for Blatche's horrible contract to get McGee is worth it to save the season....Did you ask yourself if saving the season is worth it? Does McGee = a finals appearance? Does he make us better than Miami or Chicago? He may improve our chances of an upset but admit it, we are underdogs with him or without him. In these cases you fold and play another hand. Don't go all in for a pipe dream like this. Its hard for fans to give up but smart GM's get paid to do it.

It could mean the difference between a successful rebuild and a drawn out catastrophe like Detroit is going through.

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Consider the scenario where some stupid GM signs restricted free agent Javale McGee to an offer sheet so big that the Celtics would be stupid to match.  Nick Young is an unrestricted free agent who signed a qualifying offer for this season because he was looking for a contract of around $9m/year, while the Wizards thought he was more of a $5m/year player.

McGee and Young are the sort of players I can see someone overpaying, so make a trade for McGee/Young/Blatche, and Blatche may be the only one on the Celtics roster next season. How do you like the trade idea if there is a 10-20% chance of that happening?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:14 AM »

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Consider the scenario where some stupid GM signs restricted free agent Javale McGee to an offer sheet so big that the Celtics would be stupid to match.  Nick Young is an unrestricted free agent who signed a qualifying offer for this season because he was looking for a contract of around $9m/year, while the Wizards thought he was more of a $5m/year player.

McGee and Young are the sort of players I can see someone overpaying, so make a trade for McGee/Young/Blatche, and Blatche may be the only one on the Celtics roster next season. How do you like the trade idea if there is a 10-20% chance of that happening?

The same thing could've happened to ray allen and kevin garnett now couldn't it have?

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:25 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The same thing could've happened to ray allen and kevin garnett now couldn't it have?

Your reply makes no sense to me.  Please explain.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 06:09:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Except KG and Ray are worth the numbers they are getting.  There was no way another team could swoop in and overpay them.

(not to mention KG agreed to a contract extension when he was traded)

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's easy to shoot down deals like this one; however, it's not like we have lots of options here.  No big star is likely to come here this summer and we don't have the assets or the picks to land a big star in a trade or in the draft. 

Having patience is a legitimate option.  If the Celtics can't sign Dwight Howard in the summer, I would be interested in renting out cap space to take on salary from a team that needs to clear cap space to be able to sign Howard (or another free agent).

I think you and I are more or less on the same page. By no means am I saying McGee/Blatche is thr ideal deal. As I made it very clear in my posts, I am not completely sold on it.

However, as both you and I said, renting cap space may be the best value we can get for the Big 3 or JO.  It just drives me crazy that people want to shoot down any deal doesn't involve us getting a top 10 NBA talent for essentially nothing. If we want to improve our talent level, we're likely going to have to take a risk on someone who we think can turn it around in Boston despite some sort of flaw.

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It's easy to shoot down deals like this one; however, it's not like we have lots of options here.  No big star is likely to come here this summer and we don't have the assets or the picks to land a big star in a trade or in the draft. 

Having patience is a legitimate option.  If the Celtics can't sign Dwight Howard in the summer, I would be interested in renting out cap space to take on salary from a team that needs to clear cap space to be able to sign Howard (or another free agent).

I think you and I are more or less on the same page. By no means am I saying McGee/Blatche is thr ideal deal. As I made it very clear in my posts, I am not completely sold on it.

However, as both you and I said, renting cap space may be the best value we can get for the Big 3 or JO.  It just drives me crazy that people want to shoot down any deal doesn't involve us getting a top 10 NBA talent for essentially nothing. If we want to improve our talent level, we're likely going to have to take a risk on someone who we think can turn it around in Boston despite some sort of flaw.

This has nothing to do with "not getting a top 10 value"

This is about taking on another teams junk.  And that is what they are, the Wizards junk. 

These are not minor flaws.  Blatche will not listen to coaching, will not defend and will not go inside against other big men. 

Young is a shot jacker who will not defend.

Mcgee is clueless on how to play the game, but because of his size, is likely to be over payed next season. 

We are talking about 3/5th the starting lineup of the 9-30 Wizards. 

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If we want to improve our talent level, we're likely going to have to take a risk on someone who we think can turn it around in Boston despite some sort of flaw.

I'm convinced that talking a risk on an injury-prone player staying healthy or an older player not having his production fall off a cliff is a better idea than gambling that a knucklehead stops being stupid.