Author Topic: Ray Allen to Bulls trade idea - Bulls fan take  (Read 2498 times)

Ray Allen to Bulls trade idea - Bulls fan take
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
This is a Bulls fan who wrote about what they should do about Rip. I think it is interesting that of all the trade ideas he find a deal for Ray Allen the best move for his team. His package is Brewer & Korver plus the Bobcats pick.

That is more salary than we'd want but that pick would be valuable EXCEPT for these restrictions: (lottery-protected in 2012, top-12 protected in 2013, top-10 in 2014, top-8 in 2015, unprotected in 2016) Here is the full article:

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bulls-confidential/2012/03/what-to-do-about-rip-hamilton/

I wouldn't want that trade. I'd rather have Ray's & his bird rights than a pick we can't cash in on for several years. Brewer & Korver are just role players.

Re: Ray Allen to Bulls trade idea - Bulls fan take
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:18 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
yea, I wouldn't trade Ray to the Bulls unless they give up Asik/Gibson and Butler along with the Bobcats pick

Ainge is in a position of strength here in dealing Ray or any of the big three. He does not need to rush. Holding on to Ray and KG and using the extra cap space is great. It's the teams like the Bulls, Pacers, and Clippers who want a guy to put them over the top that are desperate, not the C's.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I actually think that would be a very good trade for the C's, if the Bulls would do it. 

That pick could have a ton of value going forward because, well, the Bobcats are run terribly, and everyone knows it.  If the C's are patient, it should end up as a lottery pick, but it also could be a key asset if they want to trade for a superstar in the next few years...just ask the Clippers how valuable a potentially unprotected pick from a poorly run franchise is.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would happily make that trade. Doubt Chicago would but maybe.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:53:43 PM »

Offline Corey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. That pick is really valuable in the long run, hell...It could be a top overall pick in a few years.

Ray is expiring, you get a few solid role players for him that are only under contract for one more year, so they aren't killing you financially long term.

Good trade.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Eh, I'm not a huge fan.  Brewer and Korver mean absolutely nothing in this trade.  Even if we are going to blow everything up, Brewer and Korver won't be re-signed by the team whenever their deals are up.  So their value is really nil.

The pick sounds great and all; however, given all the restrictions, it's quite possible it never turns into anything more than a mid first round pick in potentially a weak draft. 

At this point I'd rather ride it out and see what we can get for Ray in a sign and trade next year. 

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
brewer and korver have non-guaranteed contracts next season making it basically two expiring contracts.  In other words... the trade is Ray for a future 1st without ruining any "cap flexibility" next season.

So basically... if Chicago was willing to do this, Boston would HAVE to take it.  I'd rather have a future 1st (which could be huge) than rent Ray until the end of the season on a team that doesn't have the talent to go past the first round of the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
brewer and korver have non-guaranteed contracts next season making it basically two expiring contracts.  In other words... the trade is Ray for a future 1st without ruining any "cap flexibility" next season.

So basically... if Chicago was willing to do this, Boston would HAVE to take it.  I'd rather have a future 1st (which could be huge) than rent Ray until the end of the season on a team that doesn't have the talent to go past the first round of the playoffs.

I would rather have Ray than a late first round pick, which I think is the going rate for Ray.  But, if they can get one like this, that has the potential to be a lottery pick, then it would be hard to pass up.

The problem with this trade is that I don't think Chicago would do it.  While we might not see a ton of value in Korver and Brewer, they will (and I think Brewer is being a bit underrated here, he has become a very solid player).  I think they would gladly give up Korver for Ray, but I think they would hessitate to give up both Korver and Brewer.  Given Rip's injuries of late, that would leave them way too thin on the wing. 

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Why not Brewer, Korver Chicago's 1st rounder this year AND the Bobcats highly protected, who knows what/when pick.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
There's a good chance that Bobcat's pick ends up in the top five. I'd take that deal.