Author Topic: Batum  (Read 4388 times)

Batum
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:06:25 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
from Hoops hype

Afterward, during a lengthy postgame meeting that lasted far longer than the NBA-mandated 10-minute cooling-off period, coach Nate McMillan held an open forum with the team, during which every player and every coach could say whatever he wanted. No one would reveal what was said. But Nicolas Batum said the time for talk has passed, that it was time for the Blazers to "act like men" and "show some pride." The Blazers (19-21) have lost nine of their last 12 games and are two-games below .500 in the second-half of a season for the first time since 2006-07, when they last finished with a losing record. Batum was asked if the players disrespected the coaching staff with their performance Friday night. He took it one step further. "Not just the coaches," Batum said. "The organization, the city, everybody. The fans watching us, supporting us. Because what we showed today, we disrespected ourselves, disrespected everybody around this team who likes and works for this team. That's unacceptable." Oregonian

Not that the Celtics really have the assets to trade for this kid but its refreshing to see a young player with his potential with this attitude.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Batum
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Bill Simmons had this one exactly right. In his trade value column, he says someone will sign this guy to an OBSCENE offer sheet this summer-- and it might be us. He turned 23 a few months ago, seems to be constantly improving, very efficient offensively, a willing defender and a great athlete. This quote says to me he also "gets it" (I'll call this the Anti-Blatche, in honor of some recent posts).

If there are no trades this offseason and we basically have money burning a hole in our pocket, what's the best use of all that cap space? There won't be a #1 guy out there, but I think Batum might develop into the 2nd or 3rd best on a championship contender. So, trying to pry him away with an unbelievable offer that allows us to build around Rondo and Batum - two exceptional young athletes and defenders looking for a #1 scorer and rebounder type to complete the circle-- could be interesting.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I dont know if paying Batum big money to get him as a FA would be the best idea but I certenly wouldnt be against it. He and Rondo seem like to good pairing.

I would even go for a JO + Wilcox + Dooling for Okafor and a 1st trade. Then the Cs would have 12-13 mill in free cap space to sign Batum. If he would sign for say 9-10mill then Danny would need to convince J Green to sign a one year discount deal with the promise of a longer more lucrative contract the following year. That would leave the Cs with the following line-up plus 3 2012 rookie first round picks for the next 2 seasons. Pierce and Okafer would then come off the books together.

PG Rondo, Avery
SG Batum, Moore
SF Pierce,
PF J Green, JJJ
C Okafor
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Batum could be Deng 2.0

Of course, he could be a middling role player who is constantly teasing GM's and coaches until he's 31 and goes back to Europe.

your guess=mine

But, its gonna take either a fool or a visionary to sign him to a monster sheet and steal him away from Portland.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
His Stats are very Deng like this season, if he was given 30+ minutes a game along side rondo I could easily see him getting 18-20pts a game (averaging 15 this year in 28 min) and 5-6 rbs. That along with his defence makes him a fringe allstar. Like it was previously posted Batum and Rondo would just need a go to scoring threat to round out the Cs new top 3 (Pierce could still fill that role for another season or two)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Batum could be Deng 2.0

Of course, he could be a middling role player who is constantly teasing GM's and coaches until he's 31 and goes back to Europe.

your guess=mine

But, its gonna take either a fool or a visionary to sign him to a monster sheet and steal him away from Portland.

Deng 2.0 seems exactly right.  There are slight differences (Deng plays a little bigger, Batum has more range), but they are essentially the same.  They are super role players.  Guys who have the talent to be superstars, but instead embrace doing the little things (for better or worse).

The problem is, someone is going to pay this kid based on his potential to be a superstar...but I don't think he has the mental game and killer instinct to be that. 

He will have a very good career as a 15/6/3 guy with excellent defense, but he will always be a bit of a disappointment.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Batum could be Deng 2.0

your guess=mine

Deng 2.0 seems exactly right.  There are slight differences (Deng plays a little bigger, Batum has more range), but they are essentially the same.  They are super role players.  Guys who have the talent to be superstars, but instead embrace doing the little things (for better or worse).

The problem is, someone is going to pay this kid based on his potential to be a superstar...but I don't think he has the mental game and killer instinct to be that. 

He will have a very good career as a 15/6/3 guy with excellent defense, but he will always be a bit of a disappointment.

I don't know what a 'max' offer for Batum is under the new CBA, but would you pay Luol Deng 10 million per year to do what he does?

Cuz I think I would.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
He just turned 23 a few months ago and he's improving steadily. Seems like he gets it. Someone will sign him to a huge deal based on superstar potential... and he has a good chance of reaching that potential.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
He just turned 23 a few months ago and he's improving steadily. Seems like he gets it. Someone will sign him to a huge deal based on superstar potential... and he has a good chance of reaching that potential.

What are you seeing as his potential? Like, compare him to a player today that you think is his ceiling.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Batum could be Deng 2.0

your guess=mine

I don't know what a 'max' offer for Batum is under the new CBA, but would you pay Luol Deng 10 million per year to do what he does?

Cuz I think I would.

Ummm, it depends.  Probably not on the C's as currently constructed.  I am a firm believer that you never pay a premium for role players until you have your stars in place, because that will just limit your flexibility, and role players without stars are useless.

However, for a team that already has their star/stars in place, then he is absolutely worth $10 million per year.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown

What are you seeing as his potential? Like, compare him to a player today that you think is his ceiling.

Hmmm, good question. The guy who jumped to mind was Pippen. I think he's as talented and dynamic as Rudy Gay, but with a lot more heart and hustle. Its tough to compare, which seems weird because he's a pretty protypical SF. I think the topside from a numbers perspective are like 22/7/4 with first team defense and exceptional offensive efficiency and PER. His shooting numbers are excellent.

His last 10 games are 16pts, 5 rebounds, 1.5 assts, 1.5 blocks and a steal (i rounded up by .1 on all of those). Shooting %s are 46/41/83.

I think he could be the 2nd/3rd best player on a title contender at some point. Seem about right?

Basically, I think he can by a much more dynamic Deng... Take Deng, add 5-6pts per game and better athleticism...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:04:00 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
Batum could be Deng 2.0

your guess=mine

Cuz I think I would.

Ummm, it depends.  Probably not on the C's as currently constructed.  I am a firm believer that you never pay a premium for role players until you have your stars in place, because that will just limit your flexibility, and role players without stars are useless.

However, for a team that already has their star/stars in place, then he is absolutely worth $10 million per year.

The argument will that this kid could be a star. He's improving, he gets it, he defends, he's mega-efficient, he's developing nicely. He's not Byron Russell... he's a potential #2/3 guy on a championship team.

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Lot of love for the frenchies round here this season. First Pie, now Batum, I even hear boris diaw whispers.

Batum is the best player of the 3 by far though so I guess its alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9MlYKMFl_A

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Hmmm, good question. The guy who jumped to mind was Pippen. I think he's as talented and dynamic as Rudy Gay, but with a lot more heart and hustle. Its tough to compare, which seems weird because he's a pretty protypical SF. I think the topside from a numbers perspective are like 22/7/4 with first team defense and exceptional offensive efficiency and PER. His shooting numbers are excellent.

His last 10 games are 16pts, 5 rebounds, 1.5 assts, 1.5 blocks and a steal (i rounded up by .1 on all of those). Shooting %s are 46/41/83.

I think he could be the 2nd/3rd best player on a title contender at some point. Seem about right?

Well Pippen seems way too high, just cuz he's a top-50 player, ever.

But Deng seems about right, with Deng being a significantly better passer, and Batum looking like he's a more polished outside shooter.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Batum could be Deng 2.0

your guess=mine

Cuz I think I would.

The argument will that this kid could be a star. He's improving, he gets it, he defends, he's mega-efficient, he's developing nicely. He's not Byron Russell... he's a potential #2/3 guy on a championship team.

Yeah, he could be a 2/3 guy on a championship team, if he is with a superstar.  I really think the Deng comparison is right on.  

My only point is that he is never going to be that go-to guy that he has the talent to be, because he doesn't have the mentality for it.  

On the right team (like Deng is on now), that is immensely valuable, however, on a team that doesn't have that true alpha dog for him to defer to, he will unfortunately be seen as a disappointment to many fans, because he won't take that alpha-dog role.