Author Topic: Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick  (Read 7179 times)

Re: Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
when you could get an actual asset back potentially.

I'm actually pessimistic that you can get more for Allen than a second round pick unless you are willing to take on the contract of an undesirable player signed beyond this season.
Ray Allen remains deadly from 3, is still one of the best conditioned players in the league, can finish on breaks, and has a lethal midrange game. He has great value for many contenders who might like him for the playoffs this season and then sign him for next.

Ray is one of those players where you know exactly what to expect from him. He also seems to have little ego at this point in his career so he can be easily integrated. He also has good size for his position, so you aren't really compromising anything adding him.

He can get more than a second round pick for a team where he is a good fit.

I'll clarify that I don't think he can get more than a second round pick if you are adamant about not taking back salary for next year.

A comparable rental trade would be Houston sending Shane Battier to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet and a first round pick.  Houston has to pay Thabeet $5.1m this season.  My belief is that the Celtics would need to take on a Thabeet-like salary commitment to get a first round pick in exchange for Ray Allen.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I don't think I can express how much hate I have for this idea and still be civil.

TP! For writing what we all were thinking........LOL
And you can TP me back for thinking what you were writing....LOLEM (Em=even more)
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
if you're going to trade ray and solve a big man problem here then why not just trade him straight up for odom.  we know odom is on the outs with dallas and dallas needs a quality guy like ray if they are going to go deep into the play offs.  Its a win-win.  Then hopefully Ray Ray coes back here top finish his career.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unless something useful comes back (and a 2nd rounder is not useful), the Celtics do not trade him.

Same with KG, Pierce, Rondo, Bass...

You get the picture.

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think Ray Allen is worth far more than a second round pick to a team that is on the bubble of seriously contending.

I agree Inidiana would be a good destination - but I'd want more in return or I'd be happy to just let Ray come off the books.

What about:

Ray and Brandon Bass, for:
Hansbrough and Indy's 1st round pick.

Why for Indiana:
* Gives them two Vets to mix in with their youth for a playoff run
* The trio of Granger, Ray and George will be a load.
* They get a decent return for Hansbrough
* They really don't need draft picks at this point - they need tough vets mixed with youth.

Why for Boston:
* Get another decent pick in a deep draft
* Get a good, tough, energy guy off the bench who can run the floor. Same age as Bass.

To me that's a fair trade.   

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think Ray Allen is worth far more than a second round pick to a team that is on the bubble of seriously contending.

I agree Inidiana would be a good destination - but I'd want more in return or I'd be happy to just let Ray come off the books.

What about:

Ray and Brandon Bass, for:
Hansbrough and Indy's 1st round pick.

Why for Indiana:
* Gives them two Vets to mix in with their youth for a playoff run
* The trio of Granger, Ray and George will be a load.
* They get a decent return for Hansbrough
* They really don't need draft picks at this point - they need tough vets mixed with youth.

Why for Boston:
* Get another decent pick in a deep draft
* Get a good, tough, energy guy off the bench who can run the floor. Same age as Bass.

To me that's a fair trade.  

Yes, I think that's a fair trade -- it's something I've suggested before.

I would even be okay with taking Dahntay Jones off their hands in the deal, as well.

Another deal I would do is Pierce + 1st for George.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Trade him for a mid 2nd round pick so we can draft another JR Giddens or Gabe Pruitt?  No thanks.

I think the team does not want to burn any bridges with Ray.  If the organization believes they can field a competitive team next year they would most likely want to resign Ray.  The chances he'd come back after a trade are slim.  Ray is not going anywhere unless something of true value is returning.