Author Topic: Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick  (Read 7174 times)

Re: Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know there's a certain deadline at which salaries have to be submitted so that they are final for the year and the luxury tax can be figured out. I'm not sure when it is but I assume it is after the trade deadline but with everything being different this year, maybe its not.

The reason I say this is because I'm not sure dumping $10 million now will make a difference if we are past that deadline date cut off.

As far as I understand, it's your salary at the end of the season that counts, plus items such as salary for waived players.

Teams can't trade players after the trade deadline, but can dump them after the season.  However, they can't dump a contract that expires (or could expire due to an option) after the season ends and before June 30.  You can trade players who have additional years in that time period.
The deadline hasn't been the end of the season  in prior years. I know that. I just don't remember when that date is.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
when you could get an actual asset back potentially.

I'm actually pessimistic that you can get more for Allen than a second round pick unless you are willing to take on the contract of an undesirable player signed beyond this season.
I think you're being far to pessimistic on that front, we could recieve a (low) first round pick for him and an expiring deal easily. But Danny doesn't want another low round pick when he has two already.

I've looked around and I just don't see the appropriately-sized expiring deals of players whose teams are completely dis-interested in re-signing them.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
This is ignorant.  Why wouldnt we want to keep Ray at a low salary next season if not to even come off the bench?  That's a low salary roster spot.

Yall gettin crazy wit these desperate moves.

Just to be clear.  I'm not in favor of trading Ray Allen (heck, I don't even want to trade Jermaine O'Neal unless he is 100% ruled out for the post-season due to injury or you get a legit 7-footer in return or in a companion deal), but I think this is the logical move if people want to blow up the team mid-season.  If you want to blow it up now with mid-season deals but think this trade is inconceivable, then you're doing it wrong.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
No reason for a profitable team like the Celtics to salary dump unless its making room for more talent.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The only thing this trade would do is give us a 10M Trade Exception. Don't think anyone mentioned that yet.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 04:44:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Also, as I stated elsewhere, each home game in the playoffs generates about S1 million or more of extra revenue for the Celtics. getting into the playoffs and maybe getting 5-6 homes games could offset most of this luxury tax the C's would have to pay.

Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
ray allen for a 2nd round pick, show some respect..the celts organization is far more better than what you perceive them to be..sit back guys, you are missing all the fun...
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
If you seriously think this team needs to be blown up, then Allen to the Pacers without taking any salary back is the correct trade to make.  You can hold out for a 1st rounder, but you need to settle for a 2nd round pick.

The reason is math.  According to ShamSports, the Celtics payroll is $79,205,308.  Ray Allen makes $10,000,0000.  The luxury tax threshold is $70,307,000.  A salary dump, like what the Lakers did with Odom, is the sensible course if you want to throw in the towel on the season.

The Celtics a) save $10m in luxury tax, plus Allen's salary for the rest of the season and b) are further removed from having to pay the punitive luxury tax for repeat tax-payers in the future when a rebuilding process has hopefully become fruitful.

****! Seriously?

You can purchase a 2nd Round Draft Pick without any trouble on draft day.

Loyalty, Honor and Family:  Three Things that Red built the Celtics on.

How you handle megastars at the twilight of the ending of their career sometimes determines you ability to sign and retain athletes.   Ray Allen and KG come off the books.

It might be worth it to keep them and then talk to them about the vet minimum.  How would you like those guys coming off your bench?

Ray wants to stay in Boston.  KG really isn't ready to retire.

Yeah, a trade might me imminent.  However not for that 2nd round draft choice kind of crap.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Cannon, you're getting a lot of hate but you're right on that if they can't get a first, a second would be better than nothing. The worst thing to do would be to stand pat and actually believe that this team has any chance to make a playoff run. It's better to either go all in for the title or to blow it up. Middling teams are the worst place to be in the NBA.

Having said that, they should be able to get at least a late first for Ray. If Danny can't do that, he should be canned (semi-serious here). A late-first in the NBA usually means there's a chance somebody could be a rotation player. Unlike the NFL, you rarely get solid starters there.

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd rather see if you get George Hill from Indiana.

or how about this 3 team trade

Boston - Tyler Hansbrough
Indiana - Ray Allen, Lamar Odom
Dallas - George Hill, Jeff Foster
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:47:03 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
when you could get an actual asset back potentially.

I'm actually pessimistic that you can get more for Allen than a second round pick unless you are willing to take on the contract of an undesirable player signed beyond this season.
Ray Allen remains deadly from 3, is still one of the best conditioned players in the league, can finish on breaks, and has a lethal midrange game. He has great value for many contenders who might like him for the playoffs this season and then sign him for next.

Ray is one of those players where you know exactly what to expect from him. He also seems to have little ego at this point in his career so he can be easily integrated. He also has good size for his position, so you aren't really compromising anything adding him.

He can get more than a second round pick for a team where he is a good fit.

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
Are you kidding me?? He's gonna be off the books in three months anyways. Either we get something of value back, or we keep Ray for one final playoff run.

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't think I can express how much hate I have for this idea and still be civil.

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you seriously think this team needs to be blown up, then Allen to the Pacers without taking any salary back is the correct trade to make.  You can hold out for a 1st rounder, but you need to settle for a 2nd round pick.

The reason is math.  According to ShamSports, the Celtics payroll is $79,205,308.  Ray Allen makes $10,000,0000.  The luxury tax threshold is $70,307,000.  A salary dump, like what the Lakers did with Odom, is the sensible course if you want to throw in the towel on the season.

The Celtics a) save $10m in luxury tax, plus Allen's salary for the rest of the season and b) are further removed from having to pay the punitive luxury tax for repeat tax-payers in the future when a rebuilding process has hopefully become fruitful.

Thinking about your proposal.  Let me ask a question that hopefully someone can answer... I don't totally understand "trade exceptions"

Say we traded Ray to Indiana for nothing more than a 2nd rounder.  Indiana absorbs Ray's salary.  Don't we now have a "trade exception"?  

What can we do with this 10 mil "trade exception"...  trade or no trade, we'll have 25 mil in cap space in the offseason if we renounce the rights to KG, Jeff Green, Bass and Ray (if we don't trade him)...   So say we sign a couple guys with that 25 mil and reach the cap.   Do we still have that 10 mil trade exception?  Doesn't that mean we use that trade exception to bring in a guy like Blatche (from a team looking to dump his salary) or a guy like Millsap (by including a pick) even if we have now used up all our cap space?

Doesn't that give you a bit more flexibility?  

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:13 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
What can we do with this 10 mil "trade exception"...  trade or no trade, we'll have 25 mil in cap space in the offseason if we renounce the rights to KG, Jeff Green, Bass and Ray (if we don't trade him)...   So say we sign a couple guys with that 25 mil and reach the cap.   Do we still have that 10 mil trade exception?  Doesn't that mean we use that trade exception to bring in a guy like Blatche (from a team looking to dump his salary) or a guy like Millsap (by including a pick) even if we have now used up all our cap space?

As I understand it, a traded player exception counts against the cap, so the Celtics would probably have to renounce any they have to sign a player with cap space.