Author Topic: Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick  (Read 7178 times)

Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you seriously think this team needs to be blown up, then Allen to the Pacers without taking any salary back is the correct trade to make.  You can hold out for a 1st rounder, but you need to settle for a 2nd round pick.

The reason is math.  According to ShamSports, the Celtics payroll is $79,205,308.  Ray Allen makes $10,000,0000.  The luxury tax threshold is $70,307,000.  A salary dump, like what the Lakers did with Odom, is the sensible course if you want to throw in the towel on the season.

The Celtics a) save $10m in luxury tax, plus Allen's salary for the rest of the season and b) are further removed from having to pay the punitive luxury tax for repeat tax-payers in the future when a rebuilding process has hopefully become fruitful.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Trade Ray Allen to Indiana for just a 2nd Round Pick
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think wanting to save Wyc money and thinking the team should blow up the current group are the same position.

Avoiding the more punative luxury tax can be done after KG's salary has been shed. Its not a concern that is worth ditching Allen in a straight salary dump when you could get an actual asset back potentially.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
If you seriously think this team needs to be blown up, then Allen to the Pacers without taking any salary back is the correct trade to make.  You can hold out for a 1st rounder, but you need to settle for a 2nd round pick.

The reason is math.  According to ShamSports, the Celtics payroll is $79,205,308.  Ray Allen makes $10,000,0000.  The luxury tax threshold is $70,307,000.  A salary dump, like what the Lakers did with Odom, is the sensible course if you want to throw in the towel on the season.

The Celtics a) save $10m in luxury tax, plus Allen's salary for the rest of the season and b) are further removed from having to pay the punitive luxury tax for repeat tax-payers in the future when a rebuilding process has hopefully become fruitful.

As long as the owners are willing to pay the tax why would Ainge make any trades that only benefit the owners' financial interests and not the team?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
when you could get an actual asset back potentially.

I'm actually pessimistic that you can get more for Allen than a second round pick unless you are willing to take on the contract of an undesirable player signed beyond this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
when you could get an actual asset back potentially.

I'm actually pessimistic that you can get more for Allen than a second round pick unless you are willing to take on the contract of an undesirable player signed beyond this season.
I think you're being far to pessimistic on that front, we could recieve a (low) first round pick for him and an expiring deal easily. But Danny doesn't want another low round pick when he has two already.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
As long as the owners are willing to pay the tax why would Ainge make any trades that only benefit the owners' financial interests and not the team?

Long term thinking in avoiding the more punitive luxury tax for repeat tax payers that the owners might balk at five years from now when the Celtics are, hopefully, contenders.  If you're serious about blowing up the team, then you have to think beyond this season.  And I think a second round pick and $10m might actually do more for the team than a late first and some other expiring contracts.   Consider the possibility that the cash can be used to effectively buy a pick.

Now, I'm not one of the "blow it up now" crowd, but I think this is the sort of trade that you absolutely have to try to do if you're serious about going in that direction.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If you want to start rebuilding immediately rather than waiting until this summer, this trade makes sense.

Trade Ray. Get little to nothing in return. Lose more games. Get a better draft pick.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Giving up Ray for just a 2nd isn't worth it.  Saving money isn't a good enough reason to break up the Big 3.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know there's a certain deadline at which salaries have to be submitted so that they are final for the year and the luxury tax can be figured out. I'm not sure when it is but I assume it is after the trade deadline but with everything being different this year, maybe its not.

The reason I say this is because I'm not sure dumping $10 million now will make a difference if we are past that deadline date cut off.

That said, if we are giving Ray away it better be for a first rounder and not a very low 2nd rounder.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
And the dumbest trade idea of the week goes to...
 Warning: No mocking other posters, keep commentary civil and tone the same. See here for more information.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
And the dumbest trade idea of the week goes to...

lol agreed

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
WARNING: KEEP COMMENTARY CIVIL.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we can get back some talent I would hope for Ray.  Salary cap is worth nothing if we can't sign the talent.  Talent and picks at least ensure something if we don't sign a star.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
This is ignorant.  Why wouldnt we want to keep Ray at a low salary next season if not to even come off the bench?  That's a low salary roster spot.

Yall gettin crazy wit these desperate moves.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I know there's a certain deadline at which salaries have to be submitted so that they are final for the year and the luxury tax can be figured out. I'm not sure when it is but I assume it is after the trade deadline but with everything being different this year, maybe its not.

The reason I say this is because I'm not sure dumping $10 million now will make a difference if we are past that deadline date cut off.

As far as I understand, it's your salary at the end of the season that counts, plus items such as salary for waived players.

Teams can't trade players after the trade deadline, but can dump them after the season.  However, they can't dump a contract that expires (or could expire due to an option) after the season ends and before June 30.  You can trade players who have additional years in that time period.