Author Topic: Would the Jazz take the 2012 Clippers' 1st Rounder for Millsap?  (Read 4561 times)

Re: Would the Jazz take the 2012 Clippers' 1st Rounder for Millsap?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Why would we do it?

Our positions of need start with a center. The last thing we need is another 4. We need a 5, so AlJeff would fill a huge need for us (assuming we are trying to win this year).

If we are not trying to win this year, we don't need either.

I think Utah is a good trading partner with us, but to get their draft picks (they have 2 currently in the top 15) and one of their young ones.

We'd do it because Millsap is a heck of a player who has had an all-star caliber year.

AlJeff is no slouch either and the people on the Jazz board talk about how much more he is passing out of the post.

Milsap and Al's stats are pretty similar too and they both expire next year.

AlJeff: 33 min, 19 pts, 9 rb, 2 assists and 1.5 blocks per game.

Milsap: 31 minutes 15 pts., 9 rb, 2 assists and .78 blacks per game.

AlJeff's presence inside and playing inside out with KG and allowing KG to play his more natural position are all reasons why I lean to BigAl. Defensively, he rebounds and blocks shots, which is what we need. His D will improve if he comes here.

If you're just talking about this season I think Al Jefferson is probably the better choice, and because he makes more money, he'd probably 'cost' less.

However Millsap is the better deal (he's signed through next season), and because of his more varied offensive game, he's a great guy to pair next to Dwight Howard.

And Dwight Howard should be everyone's endgame right now.

TP Indeed, love the positive thinking about DH. He and Milsap together...wow....we can hope.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo Ray JO and Clippers pick

For

Jefferson Milsap and Harris

It works on trade checker. Would you do it?

I have been an advocate for A Jazz trade for a long time. What especially interests me are their young pieces and  2 1st rounders this year.

I like your trade, but I eliminate one of Milsap/ BigAl for us and would want their picks OR one of their young players.

Although, both ALJeff and BigAl definitely put us all in this year with big cap flexibility for two consecutive years.

I've said for a while, but the trade I'd make with Utah is:

Utah Trades: Gordan Hayward, Paul Millsap, GSW's 1st
Boston Trades: Rajon Rondo

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I'd def do the clippers first and expiring $ for Millsap. Who wouldn't?

Utah...

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Looking at Utah's situation, it's hard to see them looking to move Millsap for expirings and picks.  They are well under the tax, none of their young guys are that close to hitting free agency.  They have 4 recent lottery picks on their roster and are set to add two more this offseason.  Adding more picks might create a youth overload.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

For

I have been an advocate for A Jazz trade for a long time. What especially interests me are their young pieces and  2 1st rounders this year.

I like your trade, but I eliminate one of Milsap/ BigAl for us and would want their picks OR one of their young players.

Although, both ALJeff and BigAl definitely put us all in this year with big cap flexibility for two consecutive years.

I think that we both have been in agreement for a long time that Utah is a good trade partner for us and gives us tons of permutations including youngs, picks and young vets like Milsap, Harris and AlJeff who can contribute now.

I guess it depends on what direction that we are going in to determine the package that we want.

If we are blowing it up I go for Harris for salary match purposes(I think very undervalued), Hayward, Burks and their two picks for Rondo.

Throw in Dooling and the numbers work.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8y6endh

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

For

I have been an advocate for A Jazz trade for a long time. What especially interests me are their young pieces and  2 1st rounders this year.

I think that we both have been in agreement for a long time that Utah is a good trade partner for us and gives us tons of permutations including youngs, picks and young vets like Milsap, Harris and AlJeff who can contribute now.

I guess it depends on what direction that we are going in to determine the package that we want.

If we are blowing it up I go for Harris for salary match purposes(I think very undervalued), Hayward, Burks and their two picks for Rondo.

See I'm just not a Devin Harris fan. I defended him a lot while he was in NJ, saying that he, (much like Deron Williams') was inconsistent because of the broken soul that were the rest of his teammates, but then he went to Utah and didn't look much better.

And, if you're going after Howard, why not also target Deron Williams.

Building around Williams/Millsap/Howard with 3 1sts in 2012 and Gordan Hayward/Avery Bradley sounds like a win. You'd need to amnesty/move Pierce however.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

For

See I'm just not a Devin Harris fan. I defended him a lot while he was in NJ, saying that he, (much like Deron Williams') was inconsistent because of the broken soul that were the rest of his teammates, but then he went to Utah and didn't look much better.

And, if you're going after Howard, why not also target Deron Williams.

Building around Williams/Millsap/Howard with 3 1sts in 2012 and Gordan Hayward/Avery Bradley sounds like a win. You'd need to amnesty/move Pierce however.

Sign me up. That's ideal, but if DH/DWill doesn't come about, I think that I would rather have Harris and the 4 picks in this draft along with Hayward and Burks and Bradley and JJJ going forward along with whomever we get in free agency.

I'd be happy with your scenario or mine.

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge is reportedly asking for a first round pick and a young player for Ray Allen.  I think Utah wants significantly more than that for Millsap, not less.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Ainge is reportedly asking for a first round pick and a young player for Ray Allen.  I think Utah wants significantly more than that for Millsap, not less.

As we would want significantly more for Rondo.

That's also why I'd take AlJeff. If Milsap is worth more than AlJeff, in theory we should get more (picks/youngs/whatever)if we took Jefferson.