Author Topic: Would the Jazz take the 2012 Clippers' 1st Rounder for Millsap?  (Read 4553 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
In an ordinary draft year, I think the answer would pretty obviously be "no", but in 2012, the pick could be very valuable -- even in the 20s. The Jazz are fading away a bit this season, and are clearly looking towards the future with young players waiting behind Millsap.

The Cs could trade the pick, JO and Sasha for Millsap. Would the Cs do that deal?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Would the Jazz take the 2012 Clippers' 1st Rounder for Millsap?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
probably.  Both Jefferson and Millsap are expendable there.  If they can get draft picks and cap space for them, they'd be stupid not to take it.  They are building around Favors and Kanter.  Why pay Jefferson and Millsap?

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd def do the clippers first and expiring $ for Millsap. Who wouldn't?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see how Utah would consider that enough.  It would probably take at least the C's #1 instead of the Clips and that with the assumption it's unprotected (on the odd chance the C's slip to the lottery which I just can't see happening right now)

If we insisted on the Clip's pick we'd probably have to include either Bradley or JJJ (who'd be a nice back up for Favors).

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't see how Utah would consider that enough.  It would probably take at least the C's #1 instead of the Clips and that with the assumption it's unprotected (on the odd chance the C's slip to the lottery which I just can't see happening right now)

If we insisted on the Clip's pick we'd probably have to include either Bradley or JJJ (who'd be a nice back up for Favors).

Dunno. I don't think they could fetch a pick in the teens in the 2012 draft for him. He's only got a single year remaining on his deal.

They're stuck with Jefferson and Harris, so their best chip is Millsap. If they want experience instead of youth, they'd presumably be looking for a 2, but I just don't see the veteran guy they'd get in exchange for Millsap at that position.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I agree that the Jazz will be looking to move one of their big men, I disagree that it will be cheap.

The Jazz are going to want more then a late draft pick, no matter how deep the team is.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:50 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Absolutely, positively, never in your wildest dreams. I repeat.
NO!
Millsap is an All Star level talent who is on a very good contract. Hell if one or two of those Western conference guys pulled out through injury Millsap would have been an All Star.

You wouldn't even get Al Jefferson for a first rounder and an expiring deal.
Big guys like this are going to be overvalued as soon as Dwight is off the market because there won't be any decent ones available until 2014.

I almost thought the thread title was a joke until I saw some people actually pondered that this might be possible.
One last time.
No way Utah does that. They might move Millsap for a top 10 pick and some expiring deals at the least.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Why would we do it?

Our positions of need start with a center. The last thing we need is another 4. We need a 5, so AlJeff would fill a huge need for us (assuming we are trying to win this year).

If we are not trying to win this year, we don't need either.

I think Utah is a good trading partner with us, but to get their draft picks (they have 2 currently in the top 15) and one of their young ones.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Why would we do it?

Our positions of need start with a center. The last thing we need is another 4. We need a 5, so AlJeff would fill a huge need for us (assuming we are trying to win this year).

I think Utah is a good trading partner with us, but to get their draft picks (they have 2 currently in the top 15) and one of their young ones.

We'd do it because Millsap is a heck of a player who has had an all-star caliber year.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Absolutely, positively, never in your wildest dreams. I repeat.
NO!
Millsap is an All Star level talent who is on a very good contract. Hell if one or two of those Western conference guys pulled out through injury Millsap would have been an All Star.

You wouldn't even get Al Jefferson for a first rounder and an expiring deal.
Big guys like this are going to be overvalued as soon as Dwight is off the market because there won't be any decent ones available until 2014.

I almost thought the thread title was a joke until I saw some people actually pondered that this might be possible.
One last time.
No way Utah does that. They might move Millsap for a top 10 pick and some expiring deals at the least.

I think you misunderstand the value of both Al Jefferson (like almost everyone on this board) and Paul Millsap. They may indeed pass, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you suggest. They would not get a top 10 pick in this draft for Millsap.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Why would we do it?

We'd do it because Millsap is a heck of a player who has had an all-star caliber year.

And because the Celtics rebounding is awful, and Millsap is one of the best in the game in that department.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Why would we do it?

AlJeff is no slouch either and the people on the Jazz board talk about how much more he is passing out of the post.

Milsap and Al's stats are pretty similar too and they both expire next year.

AlJeff: 33 min, 19 pts, 9 rb, 2 assists and 1.5 blocks per game.

Milsap: 31 minutes 15 pts., 9 rb, 2 assists and .78 blacks per game.

AlJeff's presence inside and playing inside out with KG and allowing KG to play his more natural position are all reasons why I lean to BigAl. Defensively, he rebounds and blocks shots, which is what we need. His D will improve if he comes here.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Rondo Ray JO and Clippers pick

For

Jefferson Milsap and Harris

It works on trade checker. Would you do it?
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Why would we do it?

AlJeff is no slouch either and the people on the Jazz board talk about how much more he is passing out of the post.

Milsap and Al's stats are pretty similar too and they both expire next year.

AlJeff: 33 min, 19 pts, 9 rb, 2 assists and 1.5 blocks per game.

Milsap: 31 minutes 15 pts., 9 rb, 2 assists and .78 blacks per game.

AlJeff's presence inside and playing inside out with KG and allowing KG to play his more natural position are all reasons why I lean to BigAl. Defensively, he rebounds and blocks shots, which is what we need. His D will improve if he comes here.

If you're just talking about this season I think Al Jefferson is probably the better choice, and because he makes more money, he'd probably 'cost' less.

However Millsap is the better deal (he's signed through next season), and because of his more varied offensive game, he's a great guy to pair next to Dwight Howard.

And Dwight Howard should be everyone's endgame right now.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Rondo Ray JO and Clippers pick

For

Jefferson Milsap and Harris

It works on trade checker. Would you do it?

I have been an advocate for A Jazz trade for a long time. What especially interests me are their young pieces and  2 1st rounders this year.

I like your trade, but I eliminate one of Milsap/ BigAl for us and would want their picks OR one of their young players.

Although, both ALJeff and BigAl definitely put us all in this year with big cap flexibility for two consecutive years.