Author Topic: Could Crawford be the answer to the Cs anemic offense?  (Read 4582 times)

Could Crawford be the answer to the Cs anemic offense?
« on: March 08, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The twittersphere is awash with word that a first round pick can get a team Jamal Crawford.  Boston desperately needs scoring, and that's one thing that Crawford can do.   He's a tweener guard, but could be the Cs Jason Terry type. 

If Ainge is convinced that these old geezers on the Cs have another deep playoff run in them, he's got to find a paint presence and some scoring in the next couple of weeks. Crawford has a player's option next year for $5m, so he might be only a rental, but since over half the later first round picks don't ever do much in the league, it might be worth the gamble.  The Clippers pic will be later first round. 

Trade JO for Crawford, sign a bought out Chris Kamen, and make one more run at a title.   

Re: Could Crawford be the answer to the Cs anemic offense?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Nah, he's a gunner.  Not gonna help this team, which struggles a lot because it relies too much on jumpshots.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »

Kiorrik

Joey Crawford?

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Joey Crawford?

Sure! As a Celtic he would immediately T up everyone on the opposing team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »

Kiorrik

Joey Crawford?

Sure! As a Celtic he would immediately T up everyone on the opposing team.
Plus, it would be nice to have him on *our* side for once.

Don't think any force in the universe could convince him to "sign" with the Celtics though :)

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
If I'm the bulls I would entertain this as rip insurance

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I sincerely believe that an all-offense, no-defense player is a bad fit for the Celtics.  If you think that describes Crawford, then it would be wrong to trade for him.  He'd have to be Ray Allen-good on offense for it to work out.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
The twittersphere is awash with word that a first round pick can get a team Jamal Crawford.  Boston desperately needs scoring, and that's one thing that Crawford can do.   He's a tweener guard, but could be the Cs Jason Terry type. 

If Ainge is convinced that these old geezers on the Cs have another deep playoff run in them, he's got to find a paint presence and some scoring in the next couple of weeks. Crawford has a player's option next year for $5m, so he might be only a rental, but since over half the later first round picks don't ever do much in the league, it might be worth the gamble.  The Clippers pic will be later first round. 

Trade JO for Crawford, sign a bought out Chris Kamen, and make one more run at a title.   

Kaman will not be bought out.  He WILL be traded...

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:04 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He would be good to throw out there with the second unit because he will basically shoot 75% of their shots.
If he's hot, he will keep our leads against the stronger teams- we have a huge problem letting our strong starts erode very quickly.
He would be good to throw out there in a small ball line up with Pietrus, Ray , Crawford, Rondo and Wilcox because he can drive much better than Ray or Pietrus.

Probably not worth a first round pick at this point though.
Let the ship go down gracefully.
I'd swap him for JO's expiring deal but I can't see Portland doing that.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:22:47 AM »

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Honestly

I wouldn't mind him in the post season because he could single highhandedly win us a game or two in the playoffs

kind of like nate robinson but better

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
I think you guys are overrating his liability on defense. I haven't watched much of him this year but it seems to me like the lack of defense is based on rep, but the stats tell a different story. According to Synergy, he's giving up .77 points per play, good for 79th in the NBA. According to 82games, he's split his time between PG and SG and has defended 1s to a PER of 12.6 and 2s to a PER of 14.3, both impressive stats. Last year, he defended 2s to a 13 PER.

Now, these stats aren't perfect. Both the Hawks and Blazers were 5 points better on defense with him off the court, and he does have a rep as a below-average defender.

I'm just saying that maybe his defense isn't as big a deal as some people are saying, and that it's worth the minor lumps for his offensive production off the bench.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm just saying that maybe his defense isn't as big a deal as some people are saying, and that it's worth the minor lumps for his offensive production off the bench.

I think he's more indifferent to defense rather than outright bad. 

Here's the thing that concerns me.  He reportedly plans on opting out so he can chase a better contract and offense is what brings in the money.  Is he going to be a selfish player like Glen Davis, looking for his own shot whether or not it fits within the team's strategy?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think you guys are overrating his liability on defense. I haven't watched much of him this year but it seems to me like the lack of defense is based on rep, but the stats tell a different story. According to Synergy, he's giving up .77 points per play, good for 79th in the NBA. According to 82games, he's split his time between PG and SG and has defended 1s to a PER of 12.6 and 2s to a PER of 14.3, both impressive stats. Last year, he defended 2s to a 13 PER.

Now, these stats aren't perfect. Both the Hawks and Blazers were 5 points better on defense with him off the court, and he does have a rep as a below-average defender.

Nate McMillan has been happy with J.Crawford's defense this season.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
One of the best backup guards in the league. He'd be a nice upgrade for the Celtics.

I think they'd have to make a move elsewhere to strengthen their frontcourt to make giving up a first for Crawford worthwhile. If they can pull off that other move, then yes, I'd love to add Jamal to the team.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Notice how much of the C's offense is geared towards outside shooting? What do you think Crawford brings to the table on offense? Exactly, more outside shooting.

C's need a down low offensive and defensive presence and someone willing to create their shot of the dribble bringing it into the paint, not more guys hanging around the 3 point line looking for the ball so they can chuck it.