Author Topic: Thank You Josh Smith!  (Read 17621 times)

Re: Thank You Josh Smith!
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
rondo and oneil work for smith and pachulia

bradley / drooling
allen / moore
pierce / pietrus
smith / bass / jjj
garnett / pachulia

I think its a good deal - atlanta ends up with the best player in the trade

Why is it a good deal when the other team gets the best player?

well, in a good deal it should be hard to say which team got the best player.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Trading Rondo for Josh Smith is insane. 

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Trading Rondo for Josh Smith is insane. 

I wouldn't characterize it as insane, but at this point, I'm inclined to think it wouldn't be very good move. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
People are missing the point.

The whole reason why Boston would be interested in acquiring J-Smoove would be to play with Rondo!

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The whole reason why Boston would be interested in acquiring J-Smoove would be to play with Rondo!

+1

With that said, C's don't have enough to entice Atl. This best offer we could make would be something like Ray + Bass + JJJ + Clips 1st + another future 1st. Still don't they'd bite - we'd probably need a 3rd team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
to get it done we could also throw in JJJ:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6mvq97d

if we did manage to get dwight this summer our starting lineup would be:

PG: Rondo
SG: Ray (if he reups with us on a favorable deal)
SF: Williams
PF: Smith
C: Howard

That lineup is uber athletic, with some of the top defensive players at their positions in the league respectively (williams is no slouch on defense). Rondo would have the perfect set of running mates on the break for the next few years.

PG:Rondo
SG:Gordon or mayo
SF:Jeff green
PF:Josh Smith
C:Dwight Howard

^ that's better

This would be a terrible non-shooting team. As fun as they would be to watch I would pass.

Any trade unless for an elite player can't involve both draft picks and Ray/KG. Best things we have at this point going into the off season is cap space flexibly and picks. With Josh Smith on the team next years team is at 43Mil and if Bass picks-up his player option that would climb to 47mil. The NBA team salary cap is 58Mil this year and next so you do the math to fill out the rest of the team for 11Mil.

PG Rondo - 11m
SG <blank>
SF Pierce - 16.8m
PF <blank> (could be Josh Smith - 13.2m) and (Bass - 4m)
C <blank>

bench
JJJ 1.1m
AB 1.6m

To fill out this roster we have to hope Ray and KG (playing center) come back and we can find decent players for the bench.

I would rather go after Brook Lopez in the off season, NJ is going to go after Dwight and also try to hold onto Deron.

SG options Courtney Lee, Marco Belinelli, Jamal Crawford, Carlos Delfino, Landry Fields, and OJ Mayo; as well as bring back Ray on the cheap (hopefully for a 6th man role and not a starter). Landry Fields would be a nice option here, the Knicks have to resign Lin and are currently sitting at 61m next year already.

PG Rondo 11
SG ???Fields (around 6 to 7m)
SF PP 16.8
PF KG 10
C Lopez 11

and Ray as the 6th man plus AB, JJJ, Green (hopefully), and Bass (hopefully) as well as the 2 picks. All for under 70m which is 13m better than this years team. Plus a chance to challenge.

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2012, 12:40:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Smith demanding a trade is good news/bad news.

The bad news is it might entice Ainge to make a deal for him this season.  That is just foolish.  The reason it is foolish is also the "good news".  Smith obviously wants out of Atlanta.  There's no point in trading for him now, when we can just wait.  If he wants to play here bad enough, he will, one way or another (see Melo/NYK).

Smith will be a free agent next offseason (summer 2013).  There's no need to make a trade now. Atlanta may not be under the gun to trade him right now, but they sure will be next season. Atlanta will have to take whatever they can get.

We can wait until this offseason, and offer them a trade of young players & picks, without having to send them back a contract they don't want.  That's the beauty of having cap space.

Or we can just wait until 2013, and sign him as a free agent (if he really does want to play with Rondo, as he has hinted in the past).

Now all we need is put Rondo on the "DWade recruitment plan", and have him convince Smith and Howard to come play with him here.  Create our own "superfriends"!  (gotta admit, I do feel a little dirty for saying that though)

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

yep, and thats his whole reason for even wanting to play here

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

yep, and thats his whole reason for even wanting to play here

I don't know if this is sarcastic, if it is I apologise, but I actually think the whole reason Danny grabs Smith this season is to lure Howard to Boston. Smith is a good player somewhere in between an All Star and a role player ala David West.
Clubs will put more weight and value in his ability to draw Dwight Howard to their club which is why the Hawks should probably help him in his quest to be traded.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2012, 06:27:25 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Boston should trade Bass/Wilcox (preferably Bass, because he can start for ATL and produce), JO, JaJuan (to be their project PF), a 1st, a 2nd, a future 1st for Josh.

Atlanta might not be getting all star quality players, but Bass/Wilcox are not bad players and are close to starter quality, they shed salary for this year so they can also compete in the FA pool, as well as get picks for the future. 

If that's not the deal, then, I love you Ray, but this is Josh Smith we're talking here.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »

Offline Philippine Celtics

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
I Don't see the point in this trade. This Trade is insane. I will NOT risk trading Rondo to a PF. Rondo playing with Smith fun to watch because we need guys who can run.

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 08:50:07 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
a trio of J Smoov/Rondo/Green on the break would be filthy
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:41 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
rondo and oneil work for smith and pachulia

bradley / drooling
allen / moore
pierce / pietrus
smith / bass / jjj
garnett / pachulia

I think its a good deal - atlanta ends up with the best player in the trade

Just curious, but was that a typo on Keyon's name or a commentary on his play?

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Josh Smith for Amare Stoudemire could be an interesting trade for both teams.

New York

PG - Lin, Baron
SG - Fields, Shumpert
SF - Melo, JR Smith
PF - Josh Smith, Jeffries, Novak
C  - Tyson, Harrellson

Atlanta

PG - Teague, Hinrich
SG - Joe Johnson, W.Green
SF - Marvin, Tracy
PF - Amare, Radmanovic
C  - Horford, Zaza

Atlanta gets a true go-to scorer to put alongside Joe Johnson. Something they have needed for years. Horford gets to slide into that third option role that suits him best and has the jump-shooting to space the floor for Amare's face up game and the defensive ability and range to complement Amare's weaknesses on that end of the court.

New York gets a player who can create mayhem defensively and who would when put alongside Tyson Chandler help New York to create one of the best defensive 1-2 big man punches in the league for the next 3-5 years. It also takes a scorer out of the picture and allows Melo and Lin more freedom to monopolize the ball. I've always thought Josh Smith would look fantastic in D'Antoni's offense. A lot of similarities to Shawn Marion's game.