Author Topic: Thank You Josh Smith!  (Read 17622 times)

Re: Thank You Josh Smith!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=726ot86

Could LAC pick get it done or would we need to move our picK?

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Finally, some news! Haven't had legit possible Celtics related trade deadline rumors for days now.

I'd be willing to offer Ray, Bass, the clippers 2012 pick and our 2nd round 2012 pick for Smith and Hinrich.

Depends who the Hawks want really...I want to keep Pierce, but if he is the dealbreaker for the Hawks, I'd offer Pierce and our second rounder for Josh.

So many questions.

*If the Hawks just want picks we could give our 2 firsts for him and throw in filler. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7glcxy9

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
it's all about the future so as long as rondo is here,that's all that matters really

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I feel like Josh Smith is another OJ Mayo, he's stuck there and he hates it.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm thinking that Atlanta might ask for JuJuan Johnson to be included in any trade.  If that's a dealbreaker for you, then maybe Josh Smith isn't that desirable.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Josh Smith is a Gerald Wallace/Shawn Marion (in his prime)/Lamar Odom (in his prime) level talent.  A wide range in trade values: Wallace pulled expirings and a pair of first rounders, Marion got an old Shaq, and Odom (along with Caron Butler) got a slightly past his prime Shaq.

No idea what Smith will fetch.  Brook Lopez, Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce... or expirings and picks.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think two desperate teams should partner up for a Josh Smith trade.

Atlanta trades Josh Smith
Orlando trades Ryan Anderson, JJ Redick, and Von Wafer

That's a bad trade for Atlanta.  Ryan Anderson greatly diminishes in utility absent Howard (and he's coming up for a payday) and the other  two don't make up the difference.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm thinking that Atlanta might ask for JuJuan Johnson to be included in any trade.  If that's a dealbreaker for you, then maybe Josh Smith isn't that desirable.

I like the idea of JJJ developing for us but Smith is already developed and only 3 years older.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
honestly i'll trade

bass + JO + JJJ

nothing more for Josh Smith

I'm not ready to break up the main core

if we can add a piece around it, then i'm happy

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline Brazilian Celtic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I guess JO + Bass + a 1st round pick (ours) should do.

Josh and Rondo are good friends, from Oak Hill.

Can this be of some importance in the deal?

In the NBA of today...when friends want to play together...they get there!

see: Miami, James, Wade, Bosh

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Josh Smith is a Gerald Wallace/Shawn Marion (in his prime)/Lamar Odom (in his prime) level talent.  A wide range in trade values: Wallace pulled expirings and a pair of first rounders, Marion got an old Shaq, and Odom (along with Caron Butler) got a slightly past his prime Shaq.

No idea what Smith will fetch.  Brook Lopez, Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce... or expirings and picks.

Given that Smith wants out, Atlanta has somewhat diminished leverage, but I'd be shocked if Atlants takes a bag of nickels for him.   I think it will take Rondo to get him, but I'd be thrilled if they'd go for Ray/Bass/Pick package.  I just don't see why they would -- I think another team will offer more.

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
DANNY GO GET J SMOOVE!

you need him for your pitch this summer to D12

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Why do people think ATL will move Josh Smith for an expiring contract and a compilation of bench players?

ATL is hanging up on DA unless he's talking Rondo.

EDIT: Neurotic Guy nails it.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Honestly I think offering them Pierce and a 1st rounder makes the most sense.

... Pausing for the temper tantrum fits of disgust from Celtic fans... "ARE YOU NUTS!?  PIERCE?  Pierce is a zillions tymes betterz!! OMG ... A 1st ALSO?... ARES YOU INSNAE?!"

Ok, moving on...  Love Pierce.  Second favorite player of all time.  Unfortunately he's 34 years old and the perception (true or not) is that he's only got a couple years left of top play.  But honestly I don't even see why Atlanta would do this.  Pierce is under contract for another year so it's not an expiring contract that can alleviate their cap situation.  We'd have to give up a 1st rounder (clippers pick?) for them to even think about it.  Even then, they probably pass.

Why for Boston?  PIerce is under contract for another year at 16 mil.  He's actually hurting our cap flexibility as-is.  Still, we have roughly 25 mil in cap space (if we let Ray, KG, Bass and Jeff Green walk) next season if we keep Pierce.   So if the plan is to utilize that 25 mil for a couple impact young guys (saying goodbye to Ray, KG, Jeff Green and Bass), then it doesn't hurt our long-term vision to trade Pierce (16.5 mil next year) for a 26 year old Josh Smith (13 mil next year).   It actually would leave us with 28 mil in cap space... So for you Dwight Howard dreamers (prepare to wake up in 7 days, btw), this fits right in line with your vision... Rondo, Josh Smith and the cap room to bring in Dwight Howard (rendered irrelevant by the fact Dwight will be traded to teh Lakers or Nets within a week).  

Short term, you can throw another 1st rounder at Minny and pry away Beasley.  Trot out PG - Rondo, SG - Ray, SF - Beasley, PF - Smith, C - KG for our playoff run.  WHo cares, right?... we're out in the first round regardless.

Final call... nah.  Makes little sense for Atlanta and the only Pierce trade that is really logical for the Celtics would be one that brings back expiring contracts + draft pick and/or young cheap talent.

If you want Smith you're probably gonna have to get rid of Rondo.    

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I guess JO + Bass + a 1st round pick (ours) should do.

Josh and Rondo are good friends, from Oak Hill.

Can this be of some importance in the deal?

In the NBA of today...when friends want to play together...they get there!

see: Miami, James, Wade, Bosh

The difference was, those guys were all free agents.  Smith is under contract, and while I do think he has some say in where he goes (agents are powerful), Atlanta is not going to give the C's a discount for him.

I really think people are undervaluing Smith here.  His value is really not a whole lot different from Rondos.  They are both guys with flaws that hold them back from being superstars, but are still very impactful, and they put people in seats.  

I think the only thing giving Rondo significantly more value than Smith is that Rondo is signed for a couple years longer, so there is less of a rental aspect.  Otherwise, they are very comparable.  And would you trade Rondo for an expiring contract (and a guy who plays the same position as arguably your best player), a decent rotation player who is a couple month rental, and a mid to late first round pick (getting later by the day, after you trade them your borderline all star).

If the C's are not giving up Rondo, I think the price STARTS at Ray, Bass, and 2 picks, PLUS, the C's would have to take back Williams' contract as well.  And I am not even sure that would get it done.

Atlanta is under no obligation to trade Smith, so if they don't get back a lot of value, they won't trade him (again, same thing as Rondo).