Author Topic: Philly Trade Idea  (Read 4018 times)

Philly Trade Idea
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
So this seems like as good a time as any to bring this idea up, I mentioned it in another thread but I don't think people saw it. I was perusing the Philly boards the other day and saw it being discussed, so I wanted to bring it up here and see what you guys thought about it.

Boston sends: Rondo, pick
Philadelphia sends: Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner

Rondo wouldn't be enough to fetch Holiday and Turner on his own, but their fans seemed intrigued if you add in something like the Clippers first. It'd give the Sixers a consolidation of talent and an upgrade at the point guard position with more playoff experience.

The Celtics would add an impact player like Turner off their bench, and would pick up two key pieces for the futures that are still on rookie contracts. One of the few moves that could help us now and in the future. Jrue has had distribution issues, but he'd have a point guard coach in Doc. Turner could use some Pierce mentoring.

Thoughts?
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

Re: Philly Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Neither Holiday nor Turner is good enough a player to justify trading Rondo.

Here's what I'd be happy to see, though:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6qcrmps

Pierce + Bass

for

Turner + Young + Nocioni (filler)

Sixers suddenly have a great wing combination in Pierce and Iggy, and once Hawes is healthy they have a very good big rotation with Brand / Hawes / Bass / Vucevic.

Turner gets to go to a rebuilding team where he'll get more offensive touches (though he'd still have to be off the ball a lot).  Young can take over the starting PF position moving forward.  He and Green could make a very big, athletic combination at SF / PF.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Pierce + Bass

for

Sixers suddenly have a great wing combination in Pierce and Iggy, and once Hawes is healthy they have a very good big rotation with Brand / Hawes / Bass / Vucevic.

Turner gets to go to a rebuilding team where he'll get more offensive touches (though he'd still have to be off the ball a lot).  Young can take over the starting PF position moving forward.  He and Green could make a very big, athletic combination at SF / PF.

Please be serious -- too much Rondo kool-aid, too much Pierce kool-aid.

OP, gave you a TP for posting this idea before the game tonite here:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=54179.msg1161572;topicseen#new
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Pierce + Bass

for

Turner gets to go to a rebuilding team where he'll get more offensive touches (though he'd still have to be off the ball a lot).  Young can take over the starting PF position moving forward.  He and Green could make a very big, athletic combination at SF / PF.

Please be serious.

How is that not serious?  I think that's a winning trade for both teams, honestly.

Pierce has shown that he still has elite play in him, which should make him enticing for a team like Philly, which is one really good player away from being a really good team.  Pierce would be perfect for them.  The only way this would be a bad trade for the Celtics is if they could do better for Pierce -- which I rather doubt.

As for Rondo "kool-aid," I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Neither Holiday nor Turner has shown the potential to have the kind of impact that Rondo can have.  I'd much prefer to have Rondo than to have Holiday and Turner, even from a rebuilding perspective.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Pierce + Bass

for

Please be serious.

How is that not serious?  I think that's a winning trade for both teams, honestly.

Pierce has shown that he still has elite play in him, which should make him enticing for a team like Philly, which is one really good player away from being a really good team.  Pierce would be perfect for them.  The only way this would be a bad trade for the Celtics is if they could do better for Pierce -- which I rather doubt.

As for Rondo "kool-aid," I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Neither Holiday nor Turner has shown the potential to have the kind of impact that Rondo can have.  I'd much prefer to have Rondo than to have Holiday and Turner, even from a rebuilding perspective.

There is no chance the '6ers trade Young & Turner for Pierce, even if he didn't play the same position as Iggy. As for the Rondo proposal, you've got the wrong team saying 'no'.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Pierce + Bass

for

Turner gets to go to a rebuilding team where he'll get more offensive touches (though he'd still have to be off the ball a lot).  Young can take over the starting PF position moving forward.  He and Green could make a very big, athletic combination at SF / PF.

Please be serious.

How is that not serious?  I think that's a winning trade for both teams, honestly.

Pierce has shown that he still has elite play in him, which should make him enticing for a team like Philly, which is one really good player away from being a really good team.  Pierce would be perfect for them.  The only way this would be a bad trade for the Celtics is if they could do better for Pierce -- which I rather doubt.

As for Rondo "kool-aid," I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Neither Holiday nor Turner has shown the potential to have the kind of impact that Rondo can have.  I'd much prefer to have Rondo than to have Holiday and Turner, even from a rebuilding perspective.

There is no chance the '6ers trade Young & Turner for Pierce, even if he didn't play the same position as Iggy. As for the Rondo proposal, you've got the wrong team saying 'no'.

Holiday is likely never going to make an All-Star game.  Turner is kind of a bust so far, but he has the potential to turn into a valuable, productive player, though probably not a star.

I don't see why the Celtics would ever consider trading Rondo for those two.

Pierce plays SF, and Iggy can play either wing position.  Iggy / Pierce on the wing would give the Sixers one of the best wing combinations in the league.

Young is a very nice player, but Pierce is better.

Pierce + Bass would be more valuable to a win-now team than Turner and Young right now.  Sixers would be a lot more balanced.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:20:54 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Philly would laugh at this

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:23 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
I'm getting the sense that people in this thread think Turner is a really highly valued player . . . are people aware that he's been a decidedly underwhelming player so far? His performance against a listless Celtics team tonight notwithstanding.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
I'm getting the sense that people in this thread think Turner is a really highly valued player . . . are people aware that he's been a decidedly underwhelming player so far? His performance against a listless Celtics team tonight notwithstanding.

I've watched every Philly game this season... Turner has all the talent in the world.. Philly is just a bad situation/roster for him... Young/Williams/Iggy take to many bad shots and half the time he's out of the loop..

with Turner in the starting lineup, it allows him to run the offense, and Holiday to do what he does best.. score... everyone is going to see how good Turner is if they allow him to play his game

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:26:53 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I've watched every Philly game this season... Turner has all the talent in the world.. Philly is just a good situation/roster for him... Young/Williams/Iggy take to many bad shots and half the time he's out of the loop..

with Turner in the starting lineup, it allows him to run the offense, and Holiday to do what he does best.. score... everyone is going to see how good Turner is if they allow him to play his game

With Holiday, Iggy, and Lou Williams on the roster, when is that ever going to happen?  Not anytime soon.

Turner has to learn to shoot at least a little before he becomes a high impact player.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
He's starting the rest of the season as the point guard, while Holiday is going to play off the ball more like when he was at UCLA...

Holiday is not a good PG, and struggles when he has to focus on involving his teammates..

Turner can run the offense better, and will be able to play his game now that he is inserted in the lineup.. even if he struggles at shooting, Jodie Meeks was shooting horrible in the starting lineup, and HIS only responsibility was to shoot... he became a huge liability for the sixers

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
He's starting the rest of the season as the point guard, while Holiday is going to play off the ball more like when he was at UCLA...

Holiday is not a good PG, and struggles when he has to focus on involving his teammates..

Turner can run the offense better, and will be able to play his game now that he is inserted in the lineup.. even if he struggles at shooting, Jodie Meeks was shooting horrible in the starting lineup, and HIS only responsibility was to shoot... he became a huge liability for the sixers

I'll believe it when I see it.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

I think Turner and Holiday is a really cool, versatile and talented potential backcourt. Jrue hasn't developed as I thought he would this year, but given his progression from year 1 to year 2, I think it's wrong to say a 21-year-old with his statistics will never make an All-Star appearance.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would trade Rondo and a pick for Holiday and Turner in a heart beat, I would also include either JJ, or the clippers pick to get the deal done.

As others have said Turner is just not in the right situation. Turner needs the ball in his hands. If the Cs pulled off this trade I would then build for the future around the idea of Turner as the primary Ball Handler, Holiday at SG, Avery as the first guard off the bench backing up the 1 and 2. With the right team and minutes Turner could be a poor mans Grant Hill. I could see him averaging 15-18 pts 7-9 rbs and 5-8 assists while defending apposing teams SG or SF and allowing us to use athletic undersized SGs to play off the ball and defend the point.

Holiday has also shown alot of potential and is still very young.

This only happens if the Cs are looking to cash in and not make a final push this year. I dont think that will be the case. I also don't know that phili is ready to cash there young talent yet.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I think Turner and Holiday is a really cool, versatile and talented potential backcourt. Jrue hasn't developed as I thought he would this year, but given his progression from year 1 to year 2, I think it's wrong to say a 21-year-old with his statistics will never make an All-Star appearance.

again, Holiday is a nice player, but when I look at the absolute wealth of point guards in the league right now, I would bet on the field making the All-Star game over him in any given season.

- Doc Rivers