Author Topic: Trade idea with New Jersey  (Read 2010 times)

Trade idea with New Jersey
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
An idea prompted by this in Chad Ford's chat today:

Jay (NC)
You say the Nets will not be able to afford Lopez and DH, but every move the Nets have made this season has been to sign DH and re-sign Lopez and DWill. The Nets will still have drop two contracts this Summer. Farmer will opt out and they have the Rockets 1st Round pick for someone to take a player like Petro, Stevenson, or Sheldon Williams off their hands.

Chad Ford
(1:38 PM) That's a lot of assumptions. Why would Farmar opt out? He's making $4.5 million next year. Not sure he gets that on the open market. Morrow, Brooks, Shawne Williams and Petro are all under contract for next year. AND Brook Lopez will have a large cap hold as a restricted free agent. I don't think they'll have the money to offer Williams and Howard the Max and keep Lopez's cap hold on the books.

Here's the pitch:

Boston trades Jermaine O'Neal, Keyon Dooling, Marquis Daniels, and cash
New Jersey trades Jordan Farmar, Johan Petro, and 2012 1st rounder from Houston

Farmar and Petro both have another year remaining on their contracts; this move would clear millions of dollars in cap space for the Nets to try to land Dwight Howard.

Boston essentially rents out next year's cap space for a middling 1st rounder, and picks up two vets who could shore up the bench. Bonus: the trade opens up a roster spot and creates a $2 million dollar exception for a follow up deal.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Trade idea with New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not worth it. The price is too high.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like this type of trade idea.  I'd prefer taking back Anthony Morrow versus Farmar or Petro, though.  So, Farmar + Morrow + #1 for cap space?  Yeah, I'd probably do that, assuming that we've heard from Dwight that there's no way he'd come to Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I wanted to rent out cap space, I would look to take on a worse contract for a better draft pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Houston's pick projects in the late teens...  Hmmm...

I'd want the right to swap picks with NJ to spoil cap space on the likes of Petro and Farmar.

Regardless I can't see the Nets keeping Brook with Dwight.  Too much concentration of investment in the 5 position, even moreso than Pau/Bynum.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I went to the NJ/Bobcats' game on Sunday.  What amazed me about as much as Deron's 57 was Jordan Farmer's pregame shooting routine from 3-point land!!  I have NEVER seen anyone hit threes more consistently (except for Ray of course).

Someone just needs to let him be a spot-up shooter, as he is NOT a PG!!

This would be a great trade for us.  Petro looked decent as well (of course it was against the Bobcats without Biyombo).

Smitty77

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Houston's pick projects in the late teens...  Hmmm...

I'd want the right to swap picks with NJ to spoil cap space on the likes of Petro and Farmar.

Regardless I can't see the Nets keeping Brook with Dwight.  Too much concentration of investment in the 5 position, even moreso than Pau/Bynum.
tough call on that.  a 3rd first rounder in the next draft to really start rebuilding or a swap of picks with them.  If it was a swap of the NJ for the Clips pick that would be better.  

I like the idea Roy had of picking up Morrow instead of Petro.  I really hate Farmar though.  If I had to take Farmar, I'd expand the deal to send out Quisy as well to get Farmar, Morrow, Petro and their pick with the idea of keeping Morrow and trying to move Farmar and Petro as expiring deals next year.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I like this type of trade idea.  I'd prefer taking back Anthony Morrow versus Farmar or Petro, though.  So, Farmar + Morrow + #1 for cap space?  Yeah, I'd probably do that, assuming that we've heard from Dwight that there's no way he'd come to Boston.

Agreed. Good creative idea, but if the Nets need this, then raise the price by insisting on Morrow. I haven't looked at the numbers, but i'd swap Petro in for Farmer in that deal, however, if possible.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)