Author Topic: Would you make these controversial decisions if you were Celtics GM?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I have looked over numerous situations & if we are indeed willing to bypass 1 last run, would you be willing to make these deals? Note: You are willing to rebuild & maybe salvage 1 last Big 4 title run.

#1)

Boston trades: Rondo & Brandon Bass & Both 2012 1st rounders to Bobcats.

Charlotte trades: Kemba Walker, Bismayck Biyombo, Boris Diaw & Bobcats 1st round 2012 pick. (Currently with best odds at winning lottery).

Idk who would be the dummy in this deal Micheal Jordan or Danny Ainge?

Pro's for Boston: There aren't many, but you would be banking on Biyombo continuing to progress rapidly as is what being being shown in his dominant performance against Dwight Howard. 15 rebs & 7blks against the best center in the league is nothing to sneeze at. Kemba wouldn't be a long term PG option but maybe could fill a Microwave Johnson roll of the bench. But the Prize would be winning the lottery & attaining Anthony Davis! A lineup going forward of Davis & Biyombo defensively would rival what Mourning & Mutombo did at Georgetown. And maybe just maybe Biyombo could help this unit make a legit run at Center & Diaw off the bench playing a combo forward 3-5 & Kemba filling in for Bradley still gives us 1 last run.

Con's for Boston: The lottery God's or deamons being cruel to us once more & dropping the best chances to a 5-6 pick again. And on top of that we would be giving away the best player in the deal by a very longshot. Micheal Jordan maybe saves face if this happens & Danny gets run out of town by Red's ghost. And Howard & Williams deem there is not enough here to make a run in the future alone.

Pro's & Con's for Charlotte: I wouldn't try to think in MJ's General Manager hat/mind!

#2)

Boston Trades: Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, Brandon Bass, Greg Steimsa & Both 2012 1st rounders to Wizards

Washington trades: John Wall, Javale McGee, Jan Vesely & Washington's 2012 1st rounder(currently 2nd worse team in NBA)

Pro's for Boston: It legitimately jumpstarts the rebuiliding process & potentially the Celtics could have 4 long term spots in the lineup filled with a Wall, McGee, Johnson & hopefully top 3 draft pick.

Cons for Boston: Taking on Lewis contract for a extra year at 21mil til 2013 most likely takes any hope of signing Howard out of the picture unless we amnesty Pierce. But Im not sure that would work either. But you only do this deal knowing you have 5% chance of signing Howard anyhow.

Pro's for Washington: Rondo is box office boom going forward & possibly the best PG in the league. And a top 10 player in terms of starting a franchise. Garnett wouldn't hurt jersey sales & box office either & maybe the freeing of Rashard Lewis contract off the books help them make a run at Dwight Howard themselves.

Con's for Washington: Boston gets the #1 pick! Rondo becomes cantankerous & hard to coach & play with due to the losing. KG most likely retires or leaves to play with a contender Spurs, Lakers, Heat,OKC, Mavericks. And after 6 weeks of hope and box office boom over trades, fans do not come to see Rondo alone if they don't make a decent splash over the summer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:36:46 PM by KG_ended_Bias »

Re: Would you make these controversial decisions if you were Celtics GM?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
There's a less than 0 percent chance that either the Bobcats or the Wizards would accept those trades. The Celtics would accept those deals in a heartbeat if the picks were included.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
I agree its a longshot but you have to admit most owners want sexy! They want a draw which equals money in their pockets. So sometimes they are willing to lose in games & value in order to win in the pockets!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Hell no to trade 1 hell yes to trade 2.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I agree its a longshot but you have to admit most owners want sexy! They want a draw which equals money in their pockets. So sometimes they are willing to lose in games & value in order to win in the pockets!

Trading John Wall doesn't bring in any new fans. As for the Bobcats, the top pick is more likely to draw more fans.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
I actually would do trade 1 before I do trade 2. Because once Rondo is gone & you possibly could get Anthony Davis. You could say hey look over here Dwight & Deron while posturing through the media that your #1 priorities are to get at C & PG at Max level money without stepping on any ones toes.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:11:00 PM by KG_ended_Bias »

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I actually would do trade 1 before I do trade 2. Because once Rondo is gone & you possibly could get Anthony Davis. You could say hey look over here Dwight & Deron while posturing through the media that your #1 priorities are to get at C & PG without stepping on any ones toes.

With trade two I get John Wall, Vesely who supposed to be really good when he comes over, McGee who I realize is a dumby, but is talented and tradeable along with the second best chance at getting Davis.

For me John Wall and a 2012 guaranteed top 5 with second best chance of getting Davis > Kemba Walker, role player level rookies, and 2012 guaranteed top 4. Remember its a lottery the Bobcats probably won't even get the 1st overall.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
Those decisions would only be (very) controversial for the other teams.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I actually would do trade 1 before I do trade 2. Because once Rondo is gone & you possibly could get Anthony Davis. You could say hey look over here Dwight & Deron while posturing through the media that your #1 priorities are to get at C & PG without stepping on any ones toes.

With trade two I get John Wall, Vesely who supposed to be really good when he comes over, McGee who I realize is a dumby, but is talented and tradeable along with the second best chance at getting Davis.

For me John Wall and a 2012 guaranteed top 5 with second best chance of getting Davis > Kemba Walker, role player level rookies, and 2012 guaranteed top 4. Remember its a lottery the Bobcats probably won't even get the 1st overall.

Vesely's here.  He's already played 460 minutes as a Washington Wizard.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
I'd do both trades in a heartbeat, but yeah I'd do #2 before #1. Giving up KG doesn't matter at that point, and Wall + Vesely + McGee is much better than Kemba + Biyombo, and the odds are about even.

I'd be shocked if Charlotte or Washington did this though, no shot.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
Remember Michael Jordan's greatnest is not as a GM. So as KG would say "Anythings possibllllllllllle"

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yes I would do both in a heartbeat.

The other teams would not.
You may get the Wizards to agree simply because they are a horrible organization.
Not even MJ's yes men are dumb enough to give up the chance at getting Anthony Davis.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It must be me but I wouldn't do either deal.

1. Boston trades: Rondo & Brandon Bass & Both 2012 1st rounders to Bobcats.
Charlotte trades: Kemba Walker, Bismayck Biyombo, Boris Diaw & Bobcats 1st round 2012 pick. (Currently with best odds at winning lottery).
--> I don't like this deal because I don't have high expectations for the incoming players and I'm very skeptical of banking on a high % lottery draw to actually pay off for the C's.  See Duncan, Tim  or  Oden, Greg/Durant, Kevin.  I also don't like the fact that we'd be giving up our 3 best rebuilding assets in Rondo and the 2 1sts  (as well as Bass) for essentially 1 rebuilding asset (their pick)

2. Boston Trades: Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, Brandon Bass, Greg Steimsa & Both 2012 1st rounders to Wizards
Washington trades: John Wall, Javale McGee, Jan Vesely & Washington's 2012 1st rounder(currently 2nd worse team in NBA)
-->I don't like this for the same reasons as the first deal for the most part.  Granted I think Wall is a good talent but I don't think he'll be as good/versatile as Rondo.  Mcgee, while an intriguing talent, has shown to be a knucklehead so far.  Not thrilled with taking on that risk on a rebuilding team.  Vesely hasn't shown anything so far.  I've already covered my distaste for gambling on pingpong balls.   

I think the C's are coughing up a little much in each of these deals.  If they kept one of their 1sts, I'd probably consider the second deal.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Those decisions would only be (very) controversial for the other teams.
Yeah, yet a other ridiculously one-sided trade proposal by a fan.  The second trade is super ridiculous.  I'm thinking John wall probably has  more value than rondo.  And yet you still propose wash gives up their #1 pick and a chance at franchise changer Anthony Davis?!?

Just got to laugh at these scenarios.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
watching the game tonight the decision I would make is the break up the team.  Philly is killing us.