Author Topic: Help Ainge get Beasley  (Read 9228 times)

Re: Help Ainge get Beasley
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Please people stop with the Michael Beasley threads....PLEASE!!

The kid is an immature, pot head, no direction, no defense, all about me type of player that is just a horrible fit in this town.

For those wanting Beasley so much, just wait until next season and you are going to get a more mature, more intelligent, more talented, and more defensively focused player. His name is Jeff Green and he will be cheaper and better than Beasley will ever be.

Your anti-Beasley rage sounds kind of personal / judgmental.

Having Green and having Beasley are not mutually exclusive things, by the way. 

TP, PosImpos.  I'm one of the biggest Beasley supporters on this board, and I just don't understand this post.  I understand that Beasley was caught for pot and that people see him as selfish, but everyone makes mistakes and it seems like he's matured since then.  In the right system, Beasley can be a borderline All-Star and he's yet to reach his full potential.  His talent is greater than what the 22-25th pick will be, and we desperately could use his scoring ability.  I also think that Beasley will greatly benefit from being around a veteran-laden squad.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Not feeling the Beasley love myself, never been impressed. If he was so great 10 teams would be after him.  

Hold out for a better player.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The kid is an immature, pot head, no direction, no defense, all about me type of player that is just a horrible fit in this town.
Sounds a lot like the description of Lamar Odom when he was with the Clippers and even the Heat.

People do grow up.  I have no idea if Beasley will, but he certainly could.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

exactly.  there is a reason why he is likely looking at his third team and he is only 23! 

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

For those wanting Beasley so much, just wait until next season and you are going to get a more mature, more intelligent, more talented, and more defensively focused player. His name is Jeff Green and he will be cheaper and better than Beasley will ever be.

Having Green and having Beasley are not mutually exclusive things, by the way. 

I don't think this really adds to the thread, and is kinda weird to say.

But I agree with Nick, Beasley is not the type of character you want around this team or any team you are trying to rebuild.  I think a team can survive some knuckelheads like Nate and guys like that, but the distractions that Beasley brings with him are not welcome here in my opinion. 

Why is the "rebuild" part even in your argument? That has nothing to do with acquiring Beasley. Just say you don't want him for a  2 month rental because when your argument is based around him not being good for rebuilding you aren't discussing what everyone else is.

My argument applys to this team too, Beasley is a week person from everything that I have heard or read about him, we saw KG make Baby cry, I think if Beasley didnt come in and immediate straighten up, (which I think is a long shot) the veterans would probably get on him and he would completely shut down. 

Also not sure a state that has decriminalized marijauna is a good spot for him.

Yeah I guess if you think he absolutely will make this team worse and that getting him for essentially nothing is a bad idea than your argument makes a little more sense. My view is that he wouldn't be detrimental for 22 months and there is potential that he could help the team.

As for the weed I couldn't care less. Im sure TONS of pro athletes smoke regularly just like the American public. For the most part they all drink which is worse for their body during the season anyway (not to mention they all probably don't eat healthy )

Also don't think he would smoke more when he is in Mass because of decrimininalizing of it. Not sure of you were kinda joking there so I wont even argue there

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

exactly.  there is a reason why he is likely looking at his third team and he is only 23! 

Kinda misleading. Heat "got rid of him" to sign Lebron and Bosh which I think is kind of understandable. Now is contract is up on a team that has a couple very good players that play his position. Also a team that is very frugal.  So yeah there are arguments against him but this one holds absolutely no weight

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I don't see any reason for either Sac or Minn. to do this trade...

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I don't at all care about the pot, or really even the immaturity.

I just don't think he is a terribly good ball player. I am looking at his career stats, and he has never been above league average in any statistical category, and has in fact been far below it at points. His eFG% and TS% are both abysmal, as is his points per play. He is a very inefficient player, which does not fit our system well.

That said, it is possible for him to improve. People make the comparison with Odom. Certainly, Odom was trash as a Clipper, and improved remarkably in subsequent years. However, it is worth noting that even when Odom was a Clipper, his TS%/eFG%/points per shot were all ABOVE the league average. His passing, too, was remarkable (he averaged 8.2 assists per 48 minutes, where the league average for his position is 2.6). His defense was pretty good too, getting above average block and steal numbers. The reason he wasn't very good is because he was a terrible rebounder and help defender, and he turned the ball over a lot.

So, it IS possible for Beasley to improve. However, Odom I do not think is a good comparison, because Odom was already a very efficient player, and his weaknesses were in areas that are much easier to improve on (boxing out, rotations, limiting turnovers) than Beasley.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Would be nice to get Thompson!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I just don't think he is a terribly good ball player. I am looking at his career stats, and he has never been above league average in any statistical category, and has in fact been far below it at points. His eFG% and TS% are both abysmal, as is his points per play. He is a very inefficient player, which does not fit our system well.

That may be true, but statistical efficiency isn't the only thing that matters.  I'm pretty sure any statistical analysis had Miami beating Dallas in the Finals last year.  The four things about Beasley are...

1.  He can score a lot when he's on.  Beasley is easily capable of scoring over 20 pts on any given night and over 30 is not out of the question.

2.  Efficient or not, Beasley is averaging 12.1 pts in 25 minutes and that's considerably below his career average.  By comparison, Bass is averaging 11.7 pts in 29 minutes, considerably above his career average.

3.  Beasley can get his own shot.  The only other guys on Boston who can do that are Rondo and Pierce.  While Rondo can get his shot, he has trouble making it and while Pierce is a much better shot-maker, Beasley's athleticism gives him a better chance of getting a shot off against high-level defensive pressure.

4.  Though his performance hasn't matched his talent, that talent is still there and Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than JO and a 1st round pick that's in the mid teens or mid 20s, but without having to take on any real salary commitments beyond this season.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
i honestly wouldnt mind beasley, especially if the c's decide to go for one more try at the championship. the c's need help on the bench/depth. if you can get beasley for the clippers pick (which seems like it's gonna be in the late 20's) and jo or some minor piece like that, they should make the deal.

i dont think beasely would be a huge problem in this veteran lockeroom for the next few months. and he gives you some nice flexibility at the 3/4 the c's dont have right now.

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

That may be true, but statistical efficiency isn't the only thing that matters.  I'm pretty sure any statistical analysis had Miami beating Dallas in the Finals last year.  The four things about Beasley are...

1.  He can score a lot when he's on.  Beasley is easily capable of scoring over 20 pts on any given night and over 30 is not out of the question.

2.  Efficient or not, Beasley is averaging 12.1 pts in 25 minutes and that's considerably below his career average.  By comparison, Bass is averaging 11.7 pts in 29 minutes, considerably above his career average.

3.  Beasley can get his own shot.  The only other guys on Boston who can do that are Rondo and Pierce.  While Rondo can get his shot, he has trouble making it and while Pierce is a much better shot-maker, Beasley's athleticism gives him a better chance of getting a shot off against high-level defensive pressure.

4.  Though his performance hasn't matched his talent, that talent is still there and Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than JO and a 1st round pick that's in the mid teens or mid 20s, but without having to take on any real salary commitments beyond this season.

Mike
Excellent points! If Beasley can be gotten for a pick and JO its a no brainer. Actually, its not a terrible idea to offer Ray for Beasley and additional pieces. I dont want to trade Ray, but Minny has some pieces that could fit in well with the C's

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

That may be true, but statistical efficiency isn't the only thing that matters.  I'm pretty sure any statistical analysis had Miami beating Dallas in the Finals last year.  The four things about Beasley are...

1.  He can score a lot when he's on.  Beasley is easily capable of scoring over 20 pts on any given night and over 30 is not out of the question.

2.  Efficient or not, Beasley is averaging 12.1 pts in 25 minutes and that's considerably below his career average.  By comparison, Bass is averaging 11.7 pts in 29 minutes, considerably above his career average.

3.  Beasley can get his own shot.  The only other guys on Boston who can do that are Rondo and Pierce.  While Rondo can get his shot, he has trouble making it and while Pierce is a much better shot-maker, Beasley's athleticism gives him a better chance of getting a shot off against high-level defensive pressure.

4.  Though his performance hasn't matched his talent, that talent is still there and Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than JO and a 1st round pick that's in the mid teens or mid 20s, but without having to take on any real salary commitments beyond this season.

Mike

You can't just throw away the whole concept of shooting efficiency, though.  Beasley's ability to get his own shot is nice, but as long as Rondo's around and getting other people their own shots, I'll take the smart, efficient shooter.  

Hell, Antoine Walker used to score a lot of points around here!

Beasley's wouldn't be stepping into a major role here anyway, not the way he plays defense.  Doc's not going to put him out there, he's not going to trust him (and I don't blame him).  I haven't seen anything from him to indicate that he's any different today from when Miami ran him out of town.

With that said, if you can get him for JO's contract alone - go for it, every time.  

If you have to give up any assets (including any 1st round draft picks)....  why?  He's a free agent at the end of the season, and we aren't contending for anything this year.  If we're going into rebuild-mode, we'll be renouncing Bird rights on all of our free agents, so if we wanted to re-sign him it would have to be using our cap space.  

Trading for Beasley if the cost is nil (JO alone) makes sense.  Giving up any assets for him...   no.  Those early-20s draft picks have gotten us some decent players over the years (Delonte, Tony Allen, Bradley now, and hopefully JJJ).  Would you trade Avery Bradley for a couple months of Beasley?

EDIT: I get that he's loaded with potential, he's got the talent to turn into an All-Star.  The fact that he's going to be a free agent, though...  I don't see how he would be anything more than a short-term rental.  If we're going to have to use our own cap space to re-sign him this summer...  just push to sign him this summer, don't give up a pick for a couple months' play.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:02:32 PM by the_Bird »

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

That may be true, but statistical efficiency isn't the only thing that matters.  I'm pretty sure any statistical analysis had Miami beating Dallas in the Finals last year.  The four things about Beasley are...

1.  He can score a lot when he's on.  Beasley is easily capable of scoring over 20 pts on any given night and over 30 is not out of the question.

2.  Efficient or not, Beasley is averaging 12.1 pts in 25 minutes and that's considerably below his career average.  By comparison, Bass is averaging 11.7 pts in 29 minutes, considerably above his career average.

3.  Beasley can get his own shot.  The only other guys on Boston who can do that are Rondo and Pierce.  While Rondo can get his shot, he has trouble making it and while Pierce is a much better shot-maker, Beasley's athleticism gives him a better chance of getting a shot off against high-level defensive pressure.

4.  Though his performance hasn't matched his talent, that talent is still there and Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than JO and a 1st round pick that's in the mid teens or mid 20s, but without having to take on any real salary commitments beyond this season.

Mike

You can't just throw away the whole concept of shooting efficiency, though.  Beasley's ability to get his own shot is nice, but as long as Rondo's around and getting other people their own shots, I'll take the smart, efficient shooter.  

Hell, Antoine Walker used to score a lot of points around here!

Beasley's wouldn't be stepping into a major role here anyway, not the way he plays defense.  Doc's not going to put him out there, he's not going to trust him (and I don't blame him).  I haven't seen anything from him to indicate that he's any different today from when Miami ran him out of town.

With that said, if you can get him for JO's contract alone - go for it, every time.  

If you have to give up any assets (including any 1st round draft picks)....  why?  He's a free agent at the end of the season, and we aren't contending for anything this year.  If we're going into rebuild-mode, we'll be renouncing Bird rights on all of our free agents, so if we wanted to re-sign him it would have to be using our cap space.  

Trading for Beasley if the cost is nil (JO alone) makes sense.  Giving up any assets for him...   no.  Those early-20s draft picks have gotten us some decent players over the years (Delonte, Tony Allen, Bradley now, and hopefully JJJ).  Would you trade Avery Bradley for a couple months of Beasley?

EDIT: I get that he's loaded with potential, he's got the talent to turn into an All-Star.  The fact that he's going to be a free agent, though...  I don't see how he would be anything more than a short-term rental.  If we're going to have to use our own cap space to re-sign him this summer...  just push to sign him this summer, don't give up a pick fT TO or a couple months' play.

He would be a RFA. C's would have right to match any offer if they trade for him.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I get that, but is Beasley really who you want to commit this summer's cap space to? 

I guess I just haven't seen anything from Beasley, ever, to indicate that he's anything more than a taller Ricky Buckets.