Author Topic: If C's get Smith and keep Rondo, do they go after Howard?  (Read 7291 times)

Re: If C's get Smith and keep Rondo, do they go after Howard?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I don't think it really matters who is on the C's team; Howard is going to a big market team.  He is endorsed by Adidas and they want him in a big market.  Did any of you catch the extension deal Derrick Rose signed with Adidas recently?  I think it was $90m guaranteed and could get up to $130+m over the life of the deal.  He's going to make almost as much wearing their shoes as he is playing basketball. 

The "game" is a lot different today with all the money floating around.  Players (heavily influenced by their agents) are more concerned about marketing themselves, rather than playing the GM role and thinking where's my best fit to win.  I do think they want both, but the financial security trumps the winning part. 

There was also a recent article about D-Will and how he liked NJN and his chances of staying.  One thing he mentioned was in NJN he got a bunch of endorsement deals and that was non-existent in Utah.  I would imagine DH12 sees a similiar situation for himself.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Get Smith regardless.  He's the best piece for rebuilding that is out there that could help draw other FAs.  If KG is still here, Smith would get 100% better, too...defensively and off-smarts--wise.  Yes, that's a basketball term. Plus, the whole team-mindset that Atlanta has never had (they've had chemistry, but that doesn't get you through tough times) would do any of these fringe players a WORLD of good.

Get J Smith, get ALJeff, have KG teach them D, set for the future.

Rondo
JGreen
Smith
Al Jeff

+ Pierce and whoever

emphasis on the future.

I don't like that lineup.  That team would struggle to score even more than the present team does now.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »

Offline Lioney

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Impossible;

Rondo; $11M
Pierce; $16,8
Smith; $13,2
Howard; $18,5

=$59,5

There is only one chance to make it happen;

Trade Pierce for Smith;

Rondo; $11M
Smith; $13,2
Howard; $18,5

=$42,7M

Green; $7M
Pietrus; $2,5M

=$52,2

2x1st round picks and Bradley, JJJ and 3xRookie Minimum contracts.

=$58,6M

Maybe another trade: Clippers 1st round pick and Bradley+JJJ for expiring contract(for Bass).

Rondo;$11M
Pietrus;$2,5M
Green;$7M
Smith;$13,2M
Howard;$18,5M
Bass;$5M

=$57,2M

Our 1st round pick and 5xRookie Min

=$61M

Ray+KG and couple of veteran minimum;

Rondo/Vet Min.
Ray/Rivers
Green/Pietrus
Smith/Bass
Howard/KG

But I think Atlanta Hawks would want younger player for Josh Smith and Celtics don't give up Pierce(at least I)

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Howard seems all crazed about going to a big market .  I'd like to see Josh Smith on the Celtics, I believe as Celtic he'll raise his play to higher level . And try and draft some center talent and maybe one will pan out or maybe we can get a godd FA center at some point in the future.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If the C's _____________, do they go after Howard?

Yes.

Will the C's get Howard if they ___________?

No.

Thanks for your time.

So there arent any scenarios where you see Dwight coming here?

It's a long shot, but I wouldnt be shocked if he got to FA and ultimately chose the Celtics if Ainge put some intriguing pieces (like Smith) here with ROndo.
Nope...  He's signing long term extensions in LA or Brooklyn after he is traded in about 8 days barring some insane golden state trade or something... Or staying in Orlando.  Either way, all of this is done a little over a week from now.  

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
If we had Rondo, Smith and Howard, we wouldn't have financial room for Pierce, and I wouldn't want Green (need a better shooter in the starting line-up).

I'd go after shooters, shooters and more shooters with whatever cap space was left.  Try to resign Ray & Pietrus, makes a sales pitch to JR Smith, Danny Green...
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Call me crazy, but I'd say you should probably pursue Dwight Howard no matter what.

This should have ended the entire thread.  Under what circumstances DON'T you go after Howard?  You go after Howard regardless of who else you traded for.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Call me crazy, but I'd say you should probably pursue Dwight Howard no matter what.

This should have ended the entire thread.  Under what circumstances DON'T you go after Howard?  You go after Howard regardless of who else you traded for.

Agreed

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14