Author Topic: If C's get Smith and keep Rondo, do they go after Howard?  (Read 7290 times)

If C's get Smith and keep Rondo, do they go after Howard?
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Now what an athletic team this could be with  a line up of...
Rondo
Peirce
Green
Smith
Howard

Im not sure this is a Championship team for one reason. Its a very poor shooting team. Peirce and then Green are the best shooters. Peirce has been streaky and Green is a scorer not a knock shooter. Pierce being really the only 3 point shooter.

Howard/Rondo/Smith aren't all good jump shooters. teams can play off a bit and clog the middle.  End of the game one of them takes the ball out and the D has a 50% chance of making them pass the ball to a poor FT shooter.

Now Howard can look like a beast at times, but he is also surrounded by 3 point shooters, teams have to respect that. Smith is probably the best of the 3, but he's no KG when it comes to that knock down 18 foot shot.

Now it could work, Im not ruling it out. But you see what happened to Miami when they have to shoot jump shots, the offense stalls. I like to see how they fare in the playoffs this year to make this kind of call.

I don't mind having two bad jump shooters on the floor, especially when one of them is Rondo and handing the point, but to have three give one two options at the end of the game.

I'd rather have Smith than Howard, with some great shooters. Smith has more offensive skills, plays good D and runs the floor well, and can go off from time to time. And have a Center like Lopez who is a decent all around Center that doesn't really hurt you at one or two things.

Let the Nets have Howard and they can have a line up of...

Williams
Morrow
Brooks
Humphries
Howard

Celtics line up in two years
Rondo
Rivers? or Pietrus
Green
Smith
Lopez

Re: If C's get Smith and keep Rondo, do they go after Howard?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
If the Celtics could get Smith in a trade and keep Rondo, I think they'd at least have a solid sales pitch to make to Dwight Howard.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »

Offline TheGreenMonster

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 40
They go after Howard even if they don't get Smith but landing him probably increases the chance of tempting Dwight to Boston, but by how much who knows.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If I was the Celtics and I could get Smith for Ray Allen, bass, and a pick I would do it in a heartbeat...However, Why would the Hawks ever do that? If I was in the Hawk's GM's shoes I would never do it.

Only thing that might tempt me if I was the Hawks GM would be Allen, Bass, and BOTH 1st round picks...Even then I don't see why they'd move one of their best players for an expiring contract, a 6th man, and 2 middle to late 1st round picks. If Smith has said he is 100% leaving the organization in 2 years than I might be more inclined to do it.

...Still if I'm the Celtics I wouldn't hesitate to give up both 1st round picks...

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This whole thread is fantasyland.

C's aren't getting Smith and they sure as heck aren't getting Howard.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Man, this is probably a stupid question.  But I read every comment in this thread, and no one has said it - what "Smith" are you guys even talking about?

According to ESPN, there are 7 guys named Smith playing in the NBA right now.  Have the Celts been rumored to be associated with one of these guys?

http://espn.go.com/nba/players/_/search/smith

edit: I finally saw someone mention the Hawks' GM.  So you're obviously talking about Josh Smith. Next question: is he a free agent this summer?  Second question: if so, is he really the best use of our precious free agent dollars?  I think not, unless we somehow got him super cheap (which is highly unlikely).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:40:25 PM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Man, this is probably a stupid question.  But I read every comment in this thread, and no one has said it - what "Smith" are you guys even talking about?

According to ESPN, there are 7 guys named Smith playing in the NBA right now.  Have the Celts been rumored to be associated with one of these guys?

http://espn.go.com/nba/players/_/search/smith

edit: I finally saw someone mention the Hawks' GM.  So you're obviously talking about Josh Smith. Next question: is he a free agent this summer?  Second question: if so, is he really the best use of our precious free agent dollars?  I think not, unless we somehow got him super cheap (which is highly unlikely).

With the thin pickings this offseason outside of Howard and Deron Williams, he probably would be.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Call me crazy, but I'd say you should probably pursue Dwight Howard no matter what.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
thats 3 guys who cant shoot a lick and even Green is only a decent shooter and are questionable at the line...dwight howard needs a shooting 4 next to him imo...but either way yes you pursue him no matter what

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
they'd have to

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Get Smith regardless.  He's the best piece for rebuilding that is out there that could help draw other FAs.  If KG is still here, Smith would get 100% better, too...defensively and off-smarts--wise.  Yes, that's a basketball term. Plus, the whole team-mindset that Atlanta has never had (they've had chemistry, but that doesn't get you through tough times) would do any of these fringe players a WORLD of good.

Get J Smith, get ALJeff, have KG teach them D, set for the future.

Rondo
JGreen
Smith
Al Jeff

+ Pierce and whoever

emphasis on the future.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 02:11:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If the C's _____________, do they go after Howard?

Yes.

Will the C's get Howard if they ___________?

No.

Thanks for your time.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
If the C's _____________, do they go after Howard?

Yes.

Will the C's get Howard if they ___________?

No.

Thanks for your time.

So there arent any scenarios where you see Dwight coming here?

It's a long shot, but I wouldnt be shocked if he got to FA and ultimately chose the Celtics if Ainge put some intriguing pieces (like Smith) here with ROndo.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:27:54 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
This whole thread is fantasyland.

C's aren't getting Smith and they sure as heck aren't getting Howard.

I see why you feel this way but back in 07, I'm sure a lot of people were saying the same thing about Ray Allen and KG.

Look what happened in baseball this year with the free agents.

Athletes surprise us all the time and Dwight does not seem like a very predictable fellow!

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 07:25:06 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
might be wrong but wouldnt we have to amnesty pierce to get smith and howard?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet