Author Topic: Trade Idea: Tyrus Thomas  (Read 3323 times)

Trade Idea: Tyrus Thomas
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
One of the great casualties of the lockout has been Tyrus Thomas' season.  He showed up out of shape and thus far has submitted the worse season of his career, shooting 34%, averaging a near career low in rebounds.  As of this month, he's fallen out of the regular rotation in Charlotte.

This is a far cry from his injury-shortened season last year, when he averaged 10 points, and nearly 6 boards and 2 blocks coming off the bench.  His mid-range jumper was falling at a Bass-esque clip, he was getting to the free throw line at a nice rate, and his per 36 minute productivity in points and rebound mirrored KG.

Is now a good buy low opportunity? Tyrus has 3 years, $26 mil left on his deal.  At that price he could an Andris Biedrins type albatross, or a cheaper Josh Smith if he gets his act together. 

How much would you give up for Tyrus?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Re: Trade Idea: Tyrus Thomas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not interested in taking on that contract.

I'd love to see San Antonio make a run at him. I think T.Thomas could make the Spurs a legitimate contender. They are just a little short up front. Timmy just needs a little more help defensively. Tyrus could be just the man to provide that. He'd be a really nice glue-guy at PF for them.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
One of the great casualties of the lockout has been Tyrus Thomas' season.  He showed up out of shape and thus far has submitted the worse season of his career, shooting 34%, averaging a near career low in rebounds.  As of this month, he's fallen out of the regular rotation in Charlotte.

This is a far cry from his injury-shortened season last year, when he averaged 10 points, and nearly 6 boards and 2 blocks coming off the bench.  His mid-range jumper was falling at a Bass-esque clip, he was getting to the free throw line at a nice rate, and his per 36 minute productivity in points and rebound mirrored KG.

Is now a good buy low opportunity? Tyrus has 3 years, $26 mil left on his deal.  At that price he could an Andris Biedrins type albatross, or a cheaper Josh Smith if he gets his act together. 

i wouldn't do it, this team is stacked with 4's. Last thing we need is another 4 tyring to play a 5 on this team. It won't work. A team like Mia will drive on us like we are I-95.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If we're taking on a headcase - I prefer Michael Beasley. Far more raw talent.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
TP SNIVELY

Not only do I agree now would be great time to try on him, but his skillet matches perfect with Rondo.
KG sticks at the 5 and know he and Bass could run the floor catching oops and helping our rebounding efficiency.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
No interest in Tyrus Thomas.  All the physical tools, but at this point it's clear that mentally he's just not there.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Sasha or Marquis perhaps?

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I wouldn't want him on the Celtics

Ever since he said he was in the dunk contest "just for the money" and didn't care about entertaining fans, i've written him off of my memory lol

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd strongly consider it.  People need to realize that we're not going to be able to get great players for what we have to give up.  If we want to upgrade, we're going to have to gamble on someone with a flaw that we believe we can turn around. 

Thomas seems to fit that bill.  Beasley does as well. 

Now, you can argue that it hurts us cap wise this summer; however, I'd argue that we're really not in the Howard/Williams running anyway.  And if that's the case, we might as well take one last shot this year and worry more about building assets and gearing up for the summer of 2013 or 2014. 

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no interest in him with that contract and this year's performance.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Question is what would the Bobcats give us to take that bad egg on a bloated deal off their hands?

Unless it was their lotto pick (and they wouldn't) why handicap our salary cap for 3 years with that guy? B/c he *might* turn it around? How about don't bother wasting 3 years and I'll tell you how it would go:

Lazy bum stays lazy and continues to be a total bust. End of story. I'd rather develop JJJ than give playing time to an overpaid headcase who isn't producing.