Author Topic: URI fires Baron  (Read 2986 times)

URI fires Baron
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
From Hoopsworld:  The Rhode Island Rams fired head coach Jim Baron Sunday.Baron, who still had two-years remaining on his contract, led Rhode Island to a 7-24 record this season, including a 4-12 record inside the Atlantic 10.Baron made five NIT appearances since taking over the Rams in 2001. He had reached 20 wins in six seasons but never made the NCAA Tournament. According to ESPN, URI doesn’t have the money to buy out Baron’s contract and will need to use independent funds.

as a RI resident -- this doesn't surprise me and I'm not bothered by his dismissal.  had 11 years to get this team into the NCAA and couldn't get there. couldn't attract decent enough talent to the school.  if he hadn't brought his 2 kids in to play, his record would be mediocre at best the past 6 years (and it was a mess this year).

also not surprised that the state can't buy him out.  thought that would be the one thing saving his butt for the rest of his contract.

Re: URI fires Baron
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think a team like URI is going to have trouble attracting good talent though...this year obviously they really hit a brick wall...although they werent any better last year either.

they shouldve made the NCAA 2 years ago when they had ulmer,cothran, delroy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bring back Skinner.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bring back Skinner.
I really wish they had kept him but I know BC offered way more $.  Would love to see him come back.

even though Baron had a string of 20-win seasons recently so he produced more-even results, Skinner had the knack of finding those diamonds-in-the-rough that developed during their 4 years in Kingston.  he had a more up-and-down history with his teams but he typically got into the NCAA every four years or so.  and when he got there, he was a good enough coach to make a little noise once in a while.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Also not surprised...

Dont think he was a great recruiter...
And you really have to be exceptional at recruiting to get talent to RI.

PC at least has the Big East as a selling point and it still takes a great recruiter like Ed Cooley to get kids to come and play.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
What's Jim Harrick doing these days....?

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Hoping they can get Dan Hurley.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce