Author Topic: Concerning the Josh Smith rumors  (Read 11253 times)

Re: Concerning the Josh Smith rumors
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Get back to me when Josh Smith can guard someone.

HATE his defense.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Really? I've always been under the impression that he was a good defender and that was one of his strengths. Anyways unless Smith is traded this season or next I'm sure he'll be there for us in 2013. The more I think about Smith in Green the more I like the idea of him and Rondo. We'd still need a go to scorer, but Rondo and Smith would be a real nice starting point.

I'd be willing to give up Ray and Bass, but not our picks. That's probably me being cheap not wanting to give up value for value, but I want to have Rondo, Smith, and talented young players.

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

HATE his defense.
Smith's straight man defense isn't great but he is always among the league leaders in blocked shots and steals, especially from his position.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

HATE his defense.
Smith's straight man defense isn't great but he is always among the league leaders in blocked shots and steals, especially from his position.

This is pretty accurate, with a little bit of coaching he could probably be one of the top defensive players in the game. Very long and athletic and can score, he's perfect for what the Celtics are trying to do.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

HATE his defense.

This is pretty accurate, with a little bit of coaching he could probably be one of the top defensive players in the game. Very long and athletic and can score, he's perfect for what the Celtics are trying to do.
when I said not great, I should have clarified that I meant it was good, just not great.  I didn't mean to imply he was a poor man defender.  Smith is a good man defender, but an excellent shot blocker and steal generator, which is as much as about his superb team/help defense as his man defense.

Josh Smith is a strong all around defender.  No one should be worried about his defense.  His offensive consistency and decision making is why he hasn't reached that next level. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He always seems to do well against us.

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why wait for 2013 if we can have him now?  Not to mention that he'll be 2 years older then and looking for big money.  If the Celtics get Smith now, he is used to attract D-Howard in 2012 free agent class.

Ok, let's say we trade Ray Allen, Bass, and a 1st for Smith.
Our lineup for 2011:

G Rondo
G Pierce/Pietrus
SF Smith
PF KG
C JO/Cox

Our Lineup in 2012

G Rondo
G Ray/Pietrus
SF Pierce/Smith
PF Smith/KG
C Dwight Howard/Cox

Something like that.  Pierce has played SG before, so it's not like he can't go back there again if he has to but we can also put Pietrus out there.  And in 2012 if the Hawks just let Ray's contract expire, he might even return to Boston.

Really? I've always been under the impression that he was a good defender and that was one of his strengths. Anyways unless Smith is traded this season or next I'm sure he'll be there for us in 2013. The more I think about Smith in Green the more I like the idea of him and Rondo. We'd still need a go to scorer, but Rondo and Smith would be a real nice starting point.

I'd be willing to give up Ray and Bass, but not our picks. That's probably me being cheap not wanting to give up value for value, but I want to have Rondo, Smith, and talented young players.

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »

Offline BMack Dueling Couches

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
that's unfortunate i don't see the c's putting together a good enough package unless it ends up being beasley swung to atlanta

Problem solved...

Hawks get: Pierce and Beasley
Celtics get: Josh Smith and Marvin Williams
Timberwolves get: Jermaine O'Neal and a first round pick

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

also dont love Smiths defence

but maybe Atlanta takes this trade

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7cyewxw

Celtics pick top 10 protected goes to Atlanta

Clippers pick goes to minn
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

also dont love Smiths defence

but maybe Atlanta takes this trade

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7cyewxw

Celtics pick top 10 protected goes to Atlanta

Clippers pick goes to minn

I did a simular trade the other day for fun when I hear Atlanta wanted Ray. It came down to 4 teams. I'll try to get it close to what it was.

Atlanta get: Allen/Beasley
Minn get: JO/Cuhnningham
Memphis get:Hinrinch
Boston get Smith/Mayo

Memphis probably wont do it now that Mayo is playing good, but he also probably will walk after next season. So they get a little some thing out of it.

Minn gets out of the Beasley contract.

Atlanta gets there guy for a year, and see's if Beasley works out.

Boston gets two guys to run with Rondo that can also score. And oh yeah they are young!

Next season Ray comes back and mentors Mayo, or Rivers if the C's still have a pick, because Im sure some picks will have to be involved in this one.

Ah well, its nice to dream some times!

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
my thing is why would ATL do it?

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
my thing is why would ATL do it?

I agree, the only way I see this happening is if Smith is really causing management headaches and they just want him gone. If that is the case I don't understand why they wouldn't try to trade him for a real center to try to move Horford to his natural 4 position.

If some how the celtics did end up with Smith, using the trade I proposed above the next key would be trading Bass and Dooling for a SG or C.

Maybe try S Young (from my previous trade), Bass and Dooling to phoenix for C Frye and S Brown? Frye is a 4 year deal but for pretty reasonable.

Then the Cs resign KG,Pietrus,S Brown, Wilcox, J Green in the offseason. We end up with a "young veteran team" mostly 26-30 year old, two hall of famers, and two young guys. Rebounding will still be an issue but if KG can hold up we actually match up pretty nicely with miami.

2013 Celtics

C  KG, Frye
PF Smith, Wilcox, JJJ
SF Pierce, Green
SG Pietrus, S Brown
PG Rondo, Avery

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:21:29 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm a huge Josh Smith fan so I was hoping this would go down. However, with how each team is doing it seems unlikely at best. For us, it seemed like a good idea to get younger when the team was struggling but now that we've won five in a row and have a chance to take the division back moving one of the core pieces seems foolish. For Atlanta they have won three straight including victories against indiana and okc. They have done this with Horford and Johnson out. Since the all star break Smoove has been carrying this team. Would they really move him for picks and salary relief when he's shown he can carry a team?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19