Author Topic: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)  (Read 37292 times)

Re: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we are going after him it must mean we are keeping Rajon as they are buddies.

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Boston - Wes Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams
Atlanta - Ray Allen, Michael Beasley, Darko Milicic
Minnesota - Paul Pierce

Minnesota gets that veteran playoff tested wing they need for a playoff run and gives up a guy that is probably gone (beasley), a young guy with some potential (johnson), and a poor contract they don't want anymore (darko). 

Atlanta adds a veteran shooter, depth at center, and a young scorer they can take a look at it.

Boston gets younger, more athletic, and more talented.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Minnesota - Paul Pierce

Minnesota gets that veteran playoff tested wing they need for a playoff run and gives up a guy that is probably gone (beasley), a young guy with some potential (johnson), and a poor contract they don't want anymore (darko). 

Atlanta adds a veteran shooter, depth at center, and a young scorer they can take a look at it.

Minnesota get paul pierce for beasley and a pile of rubbish and we get josh smith and not much else for our two starting wings...how is this trade helping us at all?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
If Atlanta like 3 more 1st rounders next year I go all in with this trade!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7awzofo

Diggles

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Minnesota - Paul Pierce

Minnesota get paul pierce for beasley and a pile of rubbish and we get josh smith and not much else for our two starting wings...how is this trade helping us at all?
We get younger, faster, more athletic, and more talented.  The Celtics aren't a contender, so they need to get younger and start over.  Wes Johnson is the starting SG in Minnesota and Marvin Williams is a more than capable 3/4 6th man type player (who is starting in ATL).  Plus you get Josh Smith a legit all star talent for two 35 year old wings, one of which isn't going to be around next year anyway (unless the Celtics totally fail in free agency).  The Celtics need to bring in as much young talent as they can, and this trade does that.  Smith is 26, Williams is 25, Johnson is 24 (and was a top five pick 2 years ago).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
if danny ainge can get josh smith for ray allen or smith +marvin for kg than i think its a no brainer. DO it!

ps. does anyone think ray and kg will be traded for younger players only to come back to the celtics as UFA in the offseason?
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
Minnesota - Paul Pierce

Atlanta gets fleeced in this deal. They would never do that.

I don't like it much for Boston either.

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
smiths numbers from last night: 24 pts, 19 rebounds,  4 assists and 3 blocks. can u imagine inserting him into our starting lineup? we are a good defensive team now, insert smith and we may be contenders!
rondo, pietrus, pierce,  smith, KG
with bradley wilcox and bass off the bench
(we would need to pick up shooting guard somewhere (pretty much anyone would be more effective than dooling)
that is one tough starting 5, talk about lock down D.

here's a three way deal with sota and atl that i think might get it done.
to atl: beas, allen, and clips pick
to sota: jo, stackhouse (or mcgrady) protected future pick (not 2012)
to bos: smith

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=786fhhs
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:38:03 AM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
smiths numbers from last night: 24 pts, 19 rebounds,  4 assists and 3 blocks.
rondo,
pietrus,
pierce,
josh smith,
KG
that is one tough starting 5, talk about lock down D,

to atl: beas, allen, protected future pick (not 2012)
to sota: jo, stackhouse (or mcgrady) and clips pick

a 3 way deal where atl gets beasley makes a lot of sense to me, but minny needs to be getting at least a 1st back.

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
smiths numbers from last night: 24 pts, 19 rebounds,  4 assists and 3 blocks.
rondo,
pietrus,
pierce,
josh smith,
KG
that is one tough starting 5, talk about lock down D,

to atl: beas, allen, protected future pick (not 2012)
to sota: jo, stackhouse (or mcgrady) and clips pick

a 3 way deal where atl gets beasley makes a lot of sense to me, but minny needs to be getting at least a 1st back.

ATL gets the clips (or our) pick, i can't see giving sota our 1st this year and leave us with no  picks in this years deep draft. (do we have another pick coming from sota or somewhere else?)

i don't believe we can trade next years pick if atl gets ours. so either ATL takes the clips pick or we give sota our 2014. which could be really good if we fail in bringing in talent this summer (this makes me nervous).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:28:51 AM by arctic 3.0 »

Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
hickson  >. josh smith...
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
hickson  >. josh smith...
really?
i don't see it

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I think some here think getting JS give the C's a decent shot at Dwight Howard.  It's not even possible unless DA can solve a basic math problem.  Boston projects to be at about $34 million as is after this season -- which accounts for $4mil that Bass may opt out of and does not account for contracts for EMoore, or either of their 2012 #1 picks, or Jeff Green.

Unless Pierce or Rondo is involved in the trade for Smith, Smith's salary of $13m next year puts the C's at $47m.  Say Bass opts out and they end up with only 1 of their #1's, the salary ends up at something like $45m.  With cap projected at about $61m, a $16m starting salary is not nearly enough to get DH. 

So, how would folks propose to have the space to get DH AND have the pieces of the puzzle that will entice him. 

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I think some here think getting JS give the C's a decent shot at Dwight Howard.  It's not even possible unless DA can solve a basic math problem.  Boston projects to be at about $34 million as is after this season -- which accounts for $4mil that Bass may opt out of and does not account for contracts for EMoore, or either of their 2012 #1 picks, or Jeff Green.

Unless Pierce or Rondo is involved in the trade for Smith, Smith's salary of $13m next year puts the C's at $47m.  Say Bass opts out and they end up with only 1 of their #1's, the salary ends up at something like $45m.  With cap projected at about $61m, a $16m starting salary is not nearly enough to get DH.  

So, how would folks propose to have the space to get DH AND have the pieces of the puzzle that will entice him.  

really don't think we have much of a shot at howard, not that intrigued by DW. everyone else available this summer are complimentary players. so we need to make trades to rebuild on the fly.
I think if we get smith and resign KG we should use whatever cap space we have to land a quality 2 and a back up center.

finally, adding smith this year gives us a legitimate shot at toppling the bulls/heat.
he is a terrific defender and shot blocker who will ignite the fast break offense with rondo.
pietrus, smith and pierce can all guard LBJ. The starting 5 might be the most dominate defense in the league.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:54:29 AM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think some here think getting JS give the C's a decent shot at Dwight Howard.  It's not even possible unless DA can solve a basic math problem.  Boston projects to be at about $34 million as is after this season -- which accounts for $4mil that Bass may opt out of and does not account for contracts for EMoore, or either of their 2012 #1 picks, or Jeff Green.

Unless Pierce or Rondo is involved in the trade for Smith, Smith's salary of $13m next year puts the C's at $47m.  Say Bass opts out and they end up with only 1 of their #1's, the salary ends up at something like $45m.  With cap projected at about $61m, a $16m starting salary is not nearly enough to get DH. 

I think they're trying to move Pierce, but if it came down to it this summer and a chance for DH they could amnesty PP to make the numbers work.