Author Topic: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)  (Read 37303 times)

Re: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7qrcu9j
since the rumor is out there, here's an idea
to ATL ray, jo and jjj
to BOS: smith, hinrich

atlanta gets under the cap this season, with this trade they would be giving up on the season unless horford can make it back.
we get a quality young big to run with rondo going forward. don't know if we improve our playoff chances much.
My idea is the same as this but you replace Hinrich with marvin williams to get another bad contract off the books. I think they can probably move hinrich to the lakers for a tpe in order to save money. We might have to throw in a first or two as well.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
In a trade centered around KG for Josh Smith, I think Garnett would be treated as an expiring contract needed as trade ballast, so the Celtics would have to kick in almost the same sort of value that they would have to give Atlanta if that huge expiring contract belonged to Jermaine O'Neal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
"@WojYahooNBA: Josh Smith has wanted trade for past year, and league sources say ATL GM Rick Sund has always been partial to Ray Allen, not Kevin Garnett."

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
In a trade centered around KG for Josh Smith, I think Garnett would be treated as an expiring contract needed as trade ballast, so the Celtics would have to kick in almost the same sort of value that they would have to give Atlanta if that huge expiring contract belonged to Jermaine O'Neal.

Not necessarily.  Atlanta would still likely make the playoffs with KG as a key player, whereas JO would give them nothing.

An expiring veteran star who can push you into the playoffs can have value other than the cap relief he provides.  Remember JO fetched Shawn Marion as a soon-to-be-expiring contributor.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
"@WojYahooNBA: Josh Smith has wanted trade for past year, and league sources say ATL GM Rick Sund has always been partial to Ray Allen, not Kevin Garnett."

Sund is probably more interested in swapping Marvin Williams of Kirk Hinrich for Ray,  no matter how fond he is of him.  He once traded Gary Payton for him, but that was 10 years ago.  I don't think Josh Smith would be available in a Ray trade. 

And how would they even incorporate Ray?  Bump JJ to the small forward or play him off the bench with T-Mac?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Trade Ray , NOT KG.....we an't got a center.!!!!!!
Add Pau and Curry and we'll be good .

Trade Ray , JJJ and Dooling  for Josh Smith

We keep Bass and KG and Rondo and PP
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:17:39 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ive always had a love affair over Josh Smith and I think he would be great. I would love to see Smith and Rondo on the break, throw Jeff Green in there next year with either Paul or Allen trailing for the tranistion three and hopefully howard slamming home the rebound... holy moly. what a pipe dream.

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Ive always had a love affair over Josh Smith and I think he would be great. I would love to see Smith and Rondo on the break, throw Jeff Green in there next year with either Paul or Allen trailing for the tranistion three and hopefully howard slamming home the rebound... holy moly. what a pipe dream.
+1

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

On the downside can you imagine DH, RR and JS on the court together in crunch time.  Hack-a-take-your-pick. Rondo is the best FT shooter of the threesome.

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
An expiring veteran star who can push you into the playoffs can have value other than the cap relief he provides.  Remember JO fetched Shawn Marion as a soon-to-be-expiring contributor.

I think Atlanta is in a place where they're not looking for cap relief and need to look at their roster construction beyond this season.  If they can see Garnett as a guy who would stick around in Atlanta for a few more years, then maybe the deals look different.

Shawn Marion was the expiring contract when traded for Jermaine O'Neal, who still had a year left.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Any chance that a deal like this could happen?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=82dx93v

Atlanta gets a aging star and cap relief and finally gets out of Williams contract.

Celtics roll with

Rondo/Dooling
Mayo/Bradley
Pierce/Pietrus
Smith/Bass
KG/Wilcox

I could get to like that real quick....

Next year we go with

Rondo
Mayo
Pierce/Green
Smith/Green
Center?

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
so, if danny trades for Josh Smith and Michael Beasley..

he can go to Howard in the summer and say "look we have Rondo, josh smith, beasley, pierce, Green

that doesnt look like a bad team, and probably better than anything the Nets or Magic can offer him as far as roster

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm beginning to get the impression that we might not be making a pick in this year's draft...

I think they will be used a chips to get Josh Smith and Beasley...If Howard is traded or says no in the offseason, I could see them going after Big Al as well.

(C) Al Jefferson
(PF) Josh Smith
(SF) Paul Pierce
(G) Jeff Green
(PG) Rajon Rondo
-------------------------
Bench...

(C) Chris Wilcox
(PF)Someone from free agency or Draft
(SF) Michael Beasley
(G) Pietrus
(PG) Avery Bradley

Scoring from Big Al, Pierce, and Green. Defense Lockdown from Josh Smith, and Rondo to add to and facilitate it all.

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
so, if danny trades for Josh Smith and Michael Beasley..

he can go to Howard in the summer and say "look we have Rondo, josh smith, beasley, pierce, Green

that doesnt look like a bad team, and probably better than anything the Nets or Magic can offer him as far as roster

There wouldn't be nearly enough cap room to sign him outright. It'd been to be a sign and trade.

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We need J Smith ...yes he would be a DH magnet.