Author Topic: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)  (Read 37311 times)

Re: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Only makes sense for Atlanta if it's Smith/Hinrich for Pierce/Bass/Bradley (our best non-Rondo package for a team that's looking to add talent).  That gives them a healthy offensive boost in the short and mid-term (especially if they resign Bass) and a nice cost-controlled back-up PG in Bradley.

If they want to make a run at hometown boy Dwight, they might consider KG/Bass (or Wilcox) and a pick for Smith/Williams/Zaza, shaving off about $27 mil from their cap next year.  JJ/Horford/hometown might make Atlanta an attractive destination for Dwight.
I don't think hinrich would be the other piece of this deal. I don't think they want Pierce either. For Atlanta the deal would be about  saving money and getting young picks and players to build around Horford, Johnson and Teague. I think they would want us to take Marvin williams (overpaid) and have a third team (like Houston or Minnesota) send them picks plus young talent
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Only makes sense for Atlanta if it's Smith/Hinrich for Pierce/Bass/Bradley (our best non-Rondo package for a team that's looking to add talent).  That gives them a healthy offensive boost in the short and mid-term (especially if they resign Bass) and a nice cost-controlled back-up PG in Bradley.

If they want to make a run at hometown boy Dwight, they might consider KG/Bass (or Wilcox) and a pick for Smith/Williams/Zaza, shaving off about $27 mil from their cap next year.  JJ/Horford/hometown might make Atlanta an attractive destination for Dwight.
I don't think hinrich would be the other piece of this deal. I don't think they want Pierce either. For Atlanta the deal would be about  saving money and getting young picks and players to build around Horford, Johnson and Teague. I think they would want us to take Marvin williams (overpaid) and have a third team (like Houston or Minnesota) send them picks plus young talent

Maybe.

But JJ is 30.  If they want to get the most out of him, they want to add players who can help now, not to start a mini-rebuilding project that may not pay dividends till he's 32 or 33. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
i think they do it for ray's expiring & bass i see them tryna rebuild

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I guess we will be right back to the days of having two horrible FT shooters on the court most of the game. Hack a Rondo/Smith at the end of games will be boring as hell to watch.

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess we will be right back to the days of having two horrible FT shooters on the court most of the game. Hack a Rondo/Smith at the end of games will be boring as hell to watch.
darn. I didn't think of that. Same thing would happen with D Howard though.

It would be interesting to see the trade Howard threads that would emerge

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

How many times have we ever seen hack-a Rondo?

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Hardly ever, because "play off Rondo and tight cover everybody else so Rondo takes a long jumper at the end of the clock" is even more effective.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42

I seriously thought that Cleveland was going to hack Rondo the other day because the clock was winding down and he had the ball in his hands.  I was screaming for him to give it up but they took their chances that we would miss and that worked also.

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
i just dont see how we get Smith and keep rondo. Ive never been a fan of smith but rondo and smith along with the necessary cap space would make us a front running for Howard. However thats a scary shooting team and I just don't see how the numbers work with out the hawks getting hoses.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 04:12:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
i just dont see how we get Smith and keep rondo. Ive never been a fan of smith but rondo and smith along with the necessary cap space would make us a front running for Howard. However thats a scary shooting team and I just don't see how the numbers work with out the hawks getting hoses.
The only way the hawks do this is to take salary off their books so they aren't tax payers, plus they get young talent and picks. We'd poetically have to take on marvin's contract or maybe they would make us take on Joe Johnson's contract too. In the end it's probably a pipe dream, without giving up rondo, but a guy can hope.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think Rondo tries to avoid putting himself in a position to find himself on the floor on every other possession.  If I were an opposing coach and Rondo was doing a lot of driving and penetration in the fourth quarter, I'd be telling my bigs to hit him hard and not be afraid to risk a borderline flagrant foul.  I don't think Rondo's body can take that sort of punishment on a nightly basis, so it's probably smart for him not to try to take over the fourth quarter like that very often.  He's probably better driving against stars who teams depend on rather than scrubs who the opposing team can afford to go without for a game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The only way the hawks do this is to take salary off their books so they aren't tax payers, plus they get young talent and picks. We'd poetically have to take on marvin's contract or maybe they would make us take on Joe Johnson's contract too. In the end it's probably a pipe dream, without giving up rondo, but a guy can hope.

The Hawks can get under the luxury tax without moving Smith.  They are only like $1 mil over after signing Dampier.  Just dumping Hinrich for a player that makes a little less would take care of them.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7qrcu9j
since the rumor is out there, here's an idea
to ATL ray, jo and jjj
to BOS: smith, hinrich

atlanta gets under the cap this season, with this trade they would be giving up on the season unless horford can make it back.
we get a quality young big to run with rondo going forward. don't know if we improve our playoff chances much.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »

Offline Weediam

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Anything is possiblllleeeee!!!!!
I like this better for both teams:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7yquhf2

Atlanta gets some sharp shooting off the bench and bass can fill up 14 and 9 here and there if the get him that 15-18 footer consistently.

We have a nasty front line D and just take on Stack to make salaries match...can be a "rah rah" man

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
or we combine rumors in one big trade season mash up!
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=89v8m5f
to Bos: Smith
to Atl: ray, jj hickson
to Sac: JO, clippers pick
 (depends on ATL being desperate to lower their cap hit.)

makes as much sense as anything i've thrown out he ::)re