Author Topic: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)  (Read 37325 times)

Re: Celtics pursuing Josh Smith? (rumor)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Kirk Hinrich added in makes the salaries work
he could be a nice vet to help some young guards here.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

But why would they trade Hinrich and Smith for KG?  Smith has been their best player this year, should have been an all-star, and may actually be a bargain for what he makes.

The C's would have to really sweeten the pot for Atlanta to even listen right now.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

But why would they trade Hinrich and Smith for KG?  Smith has been their best player this year, should have been an all-star, and may actually be a bargain for what he makes.

The C's would have to really sweeten the pot for Atlanta to even listen right now.
I unfortunately agree with this too. It makes me wonder about some Rondo/Teague stuff happening. I could see some picks moving

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
interesting - here's the original link

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/jeremy-lin-carmelo-anthony-ny-knicks-developing-chemistry-owner-james-dolan-stay-year-article-1.1031706

By interesting, you mean "nothing to see here" right?  This is speculation by a writer that knows nothing, and is regurgitating rumors that he has heard elsewhere.  If he had sources, he wouldn't have buried the information. 

I agree...

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I unfortunately agree with this too. It makes me wonder about some Rondo/Teague stuff happening. I could see some picks moving

The problem is, I think Smith only makes sense if you are keeping Rondo.  Not only are they old buddies, but I think Smith really needs a PG like Rondo to get the most out of him, and Rondo needs a running-make like Smith.

Let me also say, I think Smith could very well be a target of this team.  I think they will try to entice the Hawks with with their cap space this summer and a couple picks/prospects for Smith.  He also would be a major target in the summer of 2013, if they carry over their cap space.  However, I just don't see a deal making sense for both sides before the deadline.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/jeremy-lin-carmelo-anthony-ny-knicks-developing-chemistry-owner-james-dolan-stay-year-article-1.1031706

By interesting, you mean "nothing to see here" right?  This is speculation by a writer that knows nothing, and is regurgitating rumors that he has heard elsewhere.  If he had sources, he wouldn't have buried the information. 

No offense, but I've seen you (and others) downplay articles from other bloggers/journalists before who claim to have sources, so I'm not sure why this is different just because Mitch didn't specifically say "according to sources".

I don't think I've seen the Celtics linked to Josh Smith before, even if I'm supposed to assume that they'll be linked to everyone from our in-laws to our grandmas before March 15th. Same for Rondo to Utah; maybe ideas from this site or from another, but nothing saying that Utah's actually interested in Rondo or Boston's interested in someone from Utah. Clearly Mitch is getting the interest in Josh Smith from source.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12

Hypothetically wouldn't KG & 1st rd pick(s) for Smith & Hinrich work? & then KG's $20 mill expires for ATL to make a run at D12??  Just thinking out loud.
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

No offense, but I've seen you (and others) downplay articles from other bloggers/journalists before who claim to have sources, so I'm not sure why this is different just because Mitch didn't specifically say "according to sources".

I don't think I've seen the Celtics linked to Josh Smith before, even if I'm supposed to assume that they'll be linked to everyone from our in-laws to our grandmas before March 15th. Same for Rondo to Utah; maybe ideas from this site or from another, but nothing saying that Utah's actually interested in Rondo or Boston's interested in someone from Utah. Clearly Mitch is getting the interest in Josh Smith from source.

Yes, I downplay articles, whether it has sources or not, if it comes across as shaky, which 99% of these rumors are, because most of them are either made up (by the writer, or the source), or more likely blown way out of proportion.

And I am not sure why you assume Mitch is getting the interest from a source.  When good journalists get information from a source, they say "according to a source from the organization...or with knowledge of the situation...etc".  When they just mention it in passing with no mention of a source, 99.99999% of the time, it is because their source is another rumor (such as last summer when the C's were linked to Josh Smith), and they are just putting 2 and 2 together, in order to fit with their story.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I assume if Atlanta was trading smith they'd want to throw in Marvin Williams to rid themselves of his contract.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i rather trade Allen for Josh

I love Ray Allen but I remember Atl also wanted Ray or KG for Josh...

As some of the above said already, KG could mentor Josh and hes also a good defender

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
i rather trade Allen for Josh

I love Ray Allen but I remember Atl also wanted Ray or KG for Josh...

As some of the above said already, KG could mentor Josh and hes also a good defender
If we traded Ray or Pierce to get smith we would need to get young players and picks from a third team for Ray or Paul then send them to Atl.

If you are a fan of j smoove like me you should hope the hawks continue to lose.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
you trade anyone BUT rondo to get his best friend Josh Smith here...

then you go hard after Jsmith's childhood friend Dwight Howard this summer. If you can't get him you go after someone like Roy Hibbert

Re-sign Jeff Green and sign OJ Mayo

Next years starting five could be this....

Rondo- PG
Mayo- SG
Green- SF
Smith- PF
Howard- C

You virtually go from an old has been team to a young "going into their prime" team in 1 year

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 12:10:31 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

then you go hard after Jsmith's childhood friend Dwight Howard this summer. If you can't get him you go after someone like Roy Hibbert

Rondo- PG
Mayo- SG
Green- SF
Smith- PF
Howard- C

You virtually go from an old has been team to a young "going into their prime" team in 1 year

you need a stud wing player for that team to go anywhere and I don't think it's any of those guys. Plus the foul shooting at the end of the game would be a huge concern with Rondo,Smith and Howard all shooting 60% and under this season.(Rondo is actually the best ft shooter out of the 3 this year  :o, that's pretty bad)

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Only makes sense for Atlanta if it's Smith/Hinrich for Pierce/Bass/Bradley (our best non-Rondo package for a team that's looking to add talent).  That gives them a healthy offensive boost in the short and mid-term (especially if they resign Bass) and a nice cost-controlled back-up PG in Bradley.

If they want to make a run at hometown boy Dwight, they might consider KG/Bass (or Wilcox) and a pick for Smith/Williams/Zaza, shaving off about $27 mil from their cap next year.  JJ/Horford/hometown might make Atlanta an attractive destination for Dwight.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I have no doubts that this is Danny's ultimate plan.

Rondo- PG
Mayo- SG
Green- SF
Smith- PF
Howard- C