Author Topic: Wow. I didn't realize Kyrie Irving was incredible.  (Read 11068 times)

Re: Wow. I didn't realize Kyrie Irving was incredible.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
He's kinda small, but that nba training will help him bulk up.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Im serious when I say he reminds me of Kobe and Michael with his mix of natural ability as well as fundamentals.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nice post.

I would not be surprised if there was some validity to Lebron going back to CLE. After all, he would have Kyrie there, and Andy would still be there, too.

Imagine Kyrie in 2 more years?

Toss in the fact that they'll probably miss the playoffs this year, get a few more pieces through the draft, and whatnot.

So in two-three yrs, if things don't work out in MIA(And I hope they DON'T ;D) - Lebron could go back to CLE and have a VERY good team there waiting for him.

What a story.
]

Currently they have the 8th best odds of landing Anthony Davis.  I'm just saying.

Even more reason for LeGone James to bail out on MIA in 2-3 years, lol.....

Imagine Kyrie, Andy, Tony Davis, Tristan Thomas, Lebron and whatever other pieces they could acquire by then.

What a potential heist job by Lebron. And it wouldn't suprise me one bit.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:32:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is there any comparison to what he's doing at age 19??  It's nothing short of incredible.

Limited to players with 30 or more games played in a season

Irving currently has a WS/48 of .147 (.100 is roughly average)  Teenagers with a WS48 of .115: Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Chris Bosh, Thaddeus Young, Tracy McGrady, and Andris Biedrins (twice).

Teenagers who have averaged at least 15 ppg: Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Stephon Marbury, Kevin Durant

Teenagers who have averaged at least 4 apg: LeBron James, Tony Parker, Stephon Marbury, Shaun Livingston

Teenagers who have shot at least 37.5% on threes: Kobe Bryant, Jrue Holiday
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is there any comparison to what he's doing at age 19??  It's nothing short of incredible.

Limited to players with 30 or more games played in a season

Irving currently has a WS/48 of .147 (.100 is roughly average)  Teenagers with a WS48 of .115: Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Chris Bosh, Thaddeus Young, Tracy McGrady, and Andris Biedrins (twice).

Teenagers who have averaged at least 15 ppg: Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Stephon Marbury, Kevin Durant

Teenagers who have averaged at least 4 apg: LeBron James, Tony Parker, Stephon Marbury, Shaun Livingston

Teenagers who have shot at least 37.5% on threes: Kobe Bryant, Jrue Holiday
Good stuff...

The WS/48 thing... don't even know what to say about it, because a couple of those guys were averaging like 10 minutes a game. 

A couple slightly misleading points... Like Kobe shooting 37.5% on threes. He only took 130 of them his rookie season.  Shot 41% overall that season and only averaged 7.6 points.  The next year (age 19) he averaged 15 points, shot 43% and only 34% from three.  So... it wouldn't be a stretch to say Kyrie Irving at age 19 is better than Kobe Bryant at age 19.  In fact... if we're just looking at shooting percentages, Kobe has never in his entire career come close to shooting the percentages that Kyrie is currently averaging.  Naturally I probably just jinxed Kyrie and he'll go into a shooting slump, but I'm just sayin... Kobe has never shot over 47% and has never shot over 38% from three.  For his career he has shot 45%, 34% from three and 83% from the line.  If Kyrie can keep this up his rookie season, with almost no help, and being his team's top scorer... wow.  Unreal.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Apparently, Kyrie Irving is the 43rd player in NBA history to average at least 18 pts and shoot 48% FG, 40% 3pt and 80% FT.  Assuming he keeps those averages up, that's pretty amazing stuff, especially for a 19 year old.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
What more is there to say than to just chime in with, "Wow - The kid is freaking awesome!"

I first noticed him a few games before the first Bos-Cle game, because he started to tear up other teams.   I sorta remembered then, oh yeah, wasn't he a high draft pick or something?

I think the comment that he plays like a 5-year vet already is spot on.

Cleveland fans can be happy about some good karma coming their way as a consequence of 'The Decision'.  Irving is definitely on his way to being a super star.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I'd love to see this kid playing for Australia at the Olympics ;)
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Imagine Kyrie, Andy, Tony Davis, Tristan Thomas, Lebron and whatever other pieces they could acquire by then.

What a potential heist job by Lebron. And it wouldn't suprise me one bit.

Irving would have to take the big shot as LeBron would not.  Besides a lot of folks hate him in CLE nowadays.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Hes definately good, tons of potential in that kid. I feel great for the cleveland fans, they will be a playoff team with a couple more pieces, or maybe in a few years while the young pieces they have just get better.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd love to see this kid playing for Australia at the Olympics ;)

Id love to see nic nat play for Australia at the olympics.

i think Irving has gone under everyones radar. He has surely exceeded my expectations of him. For a number 1 draft pick he isnt that polarising which is how he has slipped under peoples radar.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I would die if the Lakers got him...it would be as bad as CP3 going there ::)

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
I had no idea he was so young..! He's on track to being something special.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.