Author Topic: How about Blatche?  (Read 8750 times)

How about Blatche?
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Let me start by saying, I know he's an idiot. At least that's the image that has been presented. However, he is big, young (only 25), and talented. His contract is decent around 7.7M per year, but it does take up some of our cap room and it runs until 2015. We also know Ainge is not afraid of taking chances on players of questionable character (Marbury, West, etc.) Plus, it appears that Blatche is available for next to nothing (see below). So if JO is out for the year because of his left hand injury, or even if he is not, do you trade JO's expiring contract for the potential of Blatche, a player who just last season averaged 16.8 PPG and 8.3 RPG? Would the presence of our veteran players and of a well respected coach be enough to keep him in check? Is it worth the gamble?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-at-halftime-part-ii-can-they-trade-andray-blatche-by-march-15/2012/02/27/gIQAZwx5dR_blog.html

The Wizards have aggressively tried to deal Blatche in advance of the March 15 trade deadline, according to multiple league sources, but struggled to find any takers. Blatche is certainly open to a change of scenery, according to a person close to him.

The team discussed dealing Blatche to Charlotte last month for Tyrus Thomas but were rejected, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. Blatche is still owed nearly $23 million after this season, and rival teams have expressed concern about his conditioning and character.

After failing to generate much interest last season, when he averaged 16.8 points and 8.3 rebounds, the Wizards realize they face a more serious challenge trying to deal him now, when he has regressed and struggled to stay healthy.

They also understand they have to convince only one team to take a chance on a player who has shown several flashes of his ability in recent years. But as one person with knowledge of the team’s thinking shared recently, if they are unable to move Blatche at the deadline or in the offseason, they still have the amnesty clause at their disposal (Rashard Lewis can be bought out next season for $10 million).

Re: How about Blatche?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  He is hurting the development of the Wizards team.  He is openly soft.  He will not listen to coaches.  He is extremely selfish. 

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:40 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He's a headcase and I'm pretty sure he has a Chinese tattoo that he thinks says something like "strength" that actually says something like "boat"

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes -- if Danny can do it without giving up anything of importance to make it happen.

Expiring deals. No draft picks. That would be my offer. I'd like Danny to keep JO too ... to have a physical post defender off the bench (if that is possible, is it?).

Maybe Wilcox and Dooling? Does that get close to Blatche's salary?

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Andray Blatche -- as a starting center (Blatche's best position, not PF where is forced to play so they can give McGee minutes) alongside Rondo, Pierce, Garnett and Ray or Pietrus -- would give the Celtics a major offensive upgrade.

Blatche is one of the most talented offensive fives in the league and would flourish (offensively) alongside Rondo's playmaking and the Big Three's floor spacing. Major upgrade to Boston's offense.

His talent is well worth the gamble if the asking price is low enough.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If this were at last year's trade deadline, when we had a strong, contending team with locker room leadership, I might consider it.  This year, as we're probably about to enter rebuilding?  No thanks; I doubt Blatche would behave any more here than he has in Washington.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »

Offline tfwhiteiii

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Wizards can't give away Blatche.  Only way I'd even consider him is in the off-season, Boston swung a deal for Blatche like trading a trade exception to Washington.  Then for taking back Blatche's contract, the Wizards send a top 3 protected pick.

Blatche is not a 'low-risk, high-reward' gamble.  If he doesn't work out, you're on the hook for his 7M/per contract for a long time.  Heck, he's due 8.5 in 2015.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now, if the Wizards decided to amnesty Blatche in the off-season, I might put in a small (sub-$3 million) bid on him, just because his talent is worth it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Andray Blatche -- as a starting center (Blatche's best position, not PF where is forced to play so they can give McGee minutes) alongside Rondo, Pierce, Garnett and Ray or Pietrus -- would give the Celtics a major offensive upgrade.

Blatche is one of the most talented offensive fives in the league and would flourish (offensively) alongside Rondo's playmaking and the Big Three's floor spacing. Major upgrade to Boston's offense.

His talent is well worth the gamble if the asking price is low enough.

Blatche can't play C because he is afraid of contact. 

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No.  He is hurting the development of the Wizards team.  He is openly soft.  He will not listen to coaches.  He is extremely selfish. 

Well, to be fair it's not like the Wizards have had Red or Wooden coaching him either. I wonder how Rondo's career would have gone if he had been coached by the following "leaders":

Eddie Jordan
Ed Tapscott
Flip Saunders
Randy Wittman

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Here is my Blatche proposal.  I have no idea if Washington would do this, but I would.

Garnett & Stiemsa (for salary - I might include Johnson or Bradley if they wanted them and that was a deal breaker)

for

Lewis, Blatche, 2012 unprotected 1st

The Celtics take on a ton of future salary, but get a high draft pick in the upcoming draft.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
No Blatche...

He and magee both lack the Bball IQ to ever win and they are hurting Walls development.

Washington needs to get rid of Blatche, either trade him for nothing of amnesty him. Then they need to either trade Magee or just let him walk.

There core to build around should be Wall, Jan Vesely, and there 2012 pick (Sullinger would fit nicely with those other 2). Then they need to get some solid veterans on that team to help Wall reach his potential.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Here is my Blatche proposal.  I have no idea if Washington would do this, but I would.

Garnett & Stiemsa (for salary - I might include Johnson or Bradley if they wanted them and that was a deal breaker)

for

The Celtics take on a ton of future salary, but get a high draft pick in the upcoming draft.
How about blatche and a top 3 protected first for jo?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

for

Boston not taking on anywhere near enough salary for that to be worthwhile for Washington.

That first round pick is far more valuable.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

for

I would do that if we could then amnesty Blatche, I would also include our 1st and allow washington to make the pick top 5 protected this year and top 3 protected the years after.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet