Author Topic: My ideal situation (adding Gasol, Odom, Beasley)  (Read 2410 times)

My ideal situation (adding Gasol, Odom, Beasley)
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Combining 3 rumors here, the Rondo-Gasol swap, the interest in Beasley, and Odom's interest in Boston after a buyout (as per the front page).

First, is the 3 team trade below, where the Lakers have to send a pick or two, probably 2nd rounders, to Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wz5l87

Then, hopefully Odom is able to reach a buyout with Dallas, and we sign him as a free agent.

This will give us a starting lineup of:
KG
Pierce
Gasol
Bradley
Allen

Bench:
Odom
Beasley
Wilcox
Dooling
Pietrus

This would provide us with a major upgrade in talent, scoring, and rebounding. However, I think we would still need a big body in the middle to provide depth and bulk. So I would want to pick up a center like a Fesenko or Barron and waive Sasha or Daniels.

Beasley's contract expires this year, but the C's would have the ability to extend him a qualifying offer of 8M next season. It's a low risk/high reward situation.

Doc told Ainge in the pre-season to just give him talent and he'll make it work. And with this he'll have it. Although we're adding some personalities in Beasley & Odom, I think we have the vets and coach to make it work. I also wouldn't mind signing Sheed, instead of Fesenko or Barron, and having him as a 5th big until he gets in shape.

Re: My ideal situation (adding Gasol, Odom, Beasley)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:11 AM »

Offline birdbrady

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think Beasley or Odom would be one or the other.

And the more and more that I hear that we are interested in the Michael Beasleys, the Lamar Odoms, etc - the more I now know that whatever potential Rondo-Gasol swap, that Brandon Bass is now almost assuredly in the deal.

I think the parameters for that deal are set now imo.  Obviously teams are going to explore every option (like the Lakers would need Gasol to trade for Dwight.)

What scares me is Rondo going in the tank deliberately because I know he would relish being out in Los Angeles.  So with his sucky play, I just pray that we don't have to throw in a #1 pick along with Bass.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I think Beasley or Odom would be one or the other.

I think the interest would be in both, since Odom has the ability to play the 5. Perhaps not against Howard, but definitely against Chicago or Miami, which are probably the two teams we would meet in the 1st round. I think that in the playoffs, when the rotation shortens, you'll see less Wilcox and more of a 9 man rotation with a 3-5 of KG, Gasol, Pierce, Odom, and Beasley. A lot of versatility there. Plus, this would leave Pietrus as Allen's main backup, which would be nice in conserving Allen's legs throughout the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

Offline birdbrady

• Derrick White
I've never seen the Lamar Odom play the 5 in my life.  He's a stretch 4, just like Beasley.  They are redundant players.  Beasley is probably better now because right now Lamar is on another planet.  Honestly, I'd take the gamble on Lamar if Beasley was our option.  Only because Beasley would cost something.

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I've never seen the Lamar Odom play the 5 in my life.  He's a stretch 4, just like Beasley.  They are redundant players.  Beasley is probably better now because right now Lamar is on another planet.  Honestly, I'd take the gamble on Lamar if Beasley was our option.  Only because Beasley would cost something.

I remember him playing the 5 at times in Miami and in the Olympics.  ;) But forgot about the 5, think about it this way, who would be better at defending/banging with Noah, Asik, and Miami's Anthony?

I see Beasley as a natural 3, who can play the 4.

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »

Offline birdbrady

• Derrick White

I remember him playing the 5 at times in Miami and in the Olympics.  ;) But forgot about the 5, think about it this way, who would be better at defending/banging with Noah, Asik, and Miami's Anthony?

Well apologies then if he played the 5 in Miami, although that WAS 8 years ago when he was in his mid 20s.  And you can't count the Olympics, that's a different brand of ball.  That too was 8 years ago as well.

And Beasley is NOT a 3.  That's why Minny is trying to get rid of him.  Derrick Williams can't play the 3 himself and they want him to play more minutes as a 4, and Beasley is in the way.  The back up 4 is Beasley's spot.  Beasley is an outside shooting 4.  Like I said, poor man's Rodney Rogers.

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Well apologies then if he played the 5 in Miami, although that WAS 8 years ago when he was in his mid 20s.  And you can't count the Olympics, that's a different brand of ball.  That too was 8 years ago as well.

And Beasley is NOT a 3.  That's why Minny is trying to get rid of him.  Derrick Williams can't play the 3 himself and they want him to play more minutes as a 4, and Beasley is in the way.  The back up 4 is Beasley's spot.  Beasley is an outside shooting 4.  Like I said, poor man's Rodney Rogers.

Actually the Olympics I'm referring to was in 2010.

If Minny feels that Williams is a natural 4 then they need to trade him too.

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Actually the Olympics I'm referring to was in 2010.

If Minny feels that Williams is a natural 4 then they need to trade him too.

Odom isn't going anywhere according to Mark Cuban and I would think he would know.  "We haven't discussed a buyout and we wouldn't do a buyout. No chance that happens at all. "