Author Topic: Why only LAL or NJ for Howard?  (Read 1092 times)

Why only LAL or NJ for Howard?
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Seems like ESPN only mentions NJ or the Lakers for Dwight Howard.  We know he wants to go to a big market and both teams have a young center to trade.

What about Atlanta?  They are stuck in 4/5 seed purgatory with no end in sight.  They could trade Al Horford and Joe Johnson for Howard and Turkaglu.  

Atlanta would have the most athletic frontline maybe ever in Howard, Smith, and Marvin Williams.  (Non of them can really shoot the ball) and it would open a spot at Sg for Tracy McGrady at least in the short term.  Atlanta isnt a huge market, but it is a top 10 compared to Orlando being a top 20.  It is also Howards hometown and he played AAu ball with Josh Smith there.  

Is Dwight so set on going to NY or LA that Atlanta would never happen?  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:47:53 PM by Donoghus »

Re: OT: why only LAL or NJ for Howard?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think Atlanta would need to offer Smith and Horford and also take on Hedo's contract.  Even then, I doubt they'd get any assurance from Howard that he'd stay there.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: OT: why only LAL or NJ for Howard?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I just have no idea in he'll how nj could squire him.  Brook lope was the supposed center piece which I alway thought was a joke. That guy sucks. Might as well be a trade for david lee or deandre jordan. Im hoping the magic could do a lot better

Re: Why only LAL or NJ for Howard?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The original reason these two teams are always mentioned, is because they are big market teams.  NJ/Brooklyn has Deron Williams in place, and Howard has expressed interest in playing with D-Will over the summer.  He also said he'd play in Chicago because of D-Rose.  LA was mentioned for obvious reasons, in terms of their market.

But I think Brooklyn will have enough cap room to sign him this summer, AND sign Williams.  Orlando is faced with the possibility of losing him for nothing at the end of the season.  So if Dwight is planning on signing with Brooklyn either way, they might as well try to weasel something back from them in return (i.e. Lopez or Brooks or something).