Author Topic: Re-build with a turkish front court.  (Read 1486 times)

Re-build with a turkish front court.
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
As we all know the Celtics will have about $35 mill or so to mess around with this off season. One thing that must be upgraded is the front court. We are one of the oldest and worst rebounding front courts in the league. And if we're all being honest with ourselves, Dwight Howard is not coming to Boston. Luckily for the Celtics there are alot of talented free agent big men on the market.

Lets start with Omer Asik who doesnt get much playing time on a very talented and deep Chicago Bulls team. Asik is exactly what the Celtics have been missing. He doesnt try to do things he can not and is a defensive menace and a rebounding machine. Nice shot blocking skills as well. Is still only 25 years young and could play an upgraded role of Perkins for the Celts. (minus the snarling and technical fouls) He's a restricted free agent after this season and the Bulls would be unlikely to match an offer in the 7-8 mill range. It may seem high for a guy with his stats but defensive minded centers are harder and harder to come by now a days. I would love Asik on the Celtics.

Next, Ersan Ilyasova. A true poor mans Dirk Nowitzki. Ilyasova is just 24 years old. He puts up 11 ppg and 9 rpg on the Bucks. He handles the ball well and lights it up from 3 point range. The Celtics could really use a guy like Ersan and Doc loves players like him who can spread the floor with their shooting and also run the floor with Rajon. Also, he looks like Josh Hartnett.

Get Semih Erden on board and we got ourselves a team!  ;D

Re: Re-build with a turkish front court.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I thought I was the only one who thought Ilyasova looked like Hartnett.  I actually created a Ilyasova trade thread last week.  I'm too lazy to go and find it though.  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would be reluctant to invest so heavily in a player like Asik until the core of the roster is properly fitted.

It'd make it more difficult to get high lottery picks and it'd decrease cap flexibility.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
That front court would not allow us to win a championship.

I think a lot of you need to look around at all of the superteams in the NBA and realize that a team consisting of other teams' back ups is NOT going to compete for a title.

We need stars. How we get them, I don't know.. But until then, we're a long ways away from a championship.

Ilylawhoa and Asik are not going to win any championships as starters together in this league, the way it is currently. Star power or bust.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
The truth is I liked Ilyasova before his monster game. Put him in  Celtics starting lineup, we will at least have a shot in the playoffs KG, Ilyasova, Bass, and Wilcox front court.

Turkey is an upcoming basketball powerhouse. They had a strong showing at 2010 Fiba World Championship where they won silver medal. DA be on the lookout for players over there.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
At least the suggestion wasn't Okur and Turkoglu.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'm not a huge fan of Asik.  I think he has good instincts and defensive skills but he won't get a lot of calls from the officials because of his size and the way he plays. It will be like watching young Perk out there getting whistled for breathing on a guy or Avery Bradley getting called for things that look like fouls.

I like Ilyasova alot and wouldn't mind adding him.

Ultimately the Celts are going to have to hope they can get a near breakout star with their money (like McGrady in Orlando) and two awesome draft picks in order to make this rebuild less painful.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Will there be Turkish prisons for players that don't play defense? Cause I'm all for that. Also there shall be no viewing of Lawrence of Arabia in the locker room. Too bad. I love that movie