Author Topic: Trade Idea with New Orleans  (Read 2200 times)

Trade Idea with New Orleans
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Kaman, Jack, and the rights to the T-Wolves unprotected 2012 1st-rounder, for Rondo, JO, and Wilcox.  It works on the trade machine and also does the following:

1. Gives us three 1st rounders in a deep draft.  The Minny pick could be around 12-15, our own could be anywhere from 13-17, and the Clippers pick could be in the 20's.  If Danny packages all three, the he could possibly nab Harrison Barnes, Jeremy Lamb, or Kidd-Gilchrist (to name a few).

2. Still gives us a chance to compete this year and make one more run with the Big 3.

3. All of our cap room would still be intact -- in fact we'd be gaining 5 mill (after doing the math on Rondo- Jack salaries).

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Idea with New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Basically you're trading Rondo to be a bit better this season, create a few million in cap space, and get a late lottery pick.

I don't think that's really worth it.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Basically you're trading Rondo to be a bit better this season, create a few million in cap space, and get a late lottery pick.

I don't think that's really worth it.

I agree with you in that we'll be a bit better this year, but it's more than that.  If we are to give it one last go with the Big 3, this deal enables us to do that.  As currently constructed, we look like we'll be bounced in the 1st round.  This deal gives us a legit center who can do it all, and a very capable PG who's putting up comparable #'s to Rondo.

Additionally, if you look at as more than a late lotto pick, and take into account that this pick/chip could enable us to get into the Top 5 and land an impact talent (Barnes, Lamb, Kidd-Gilchrist, Sullinger, and Drummond come to mind), then it's really something to think about.

Finally, the additional five mill we gain in cap space could be big for us next year, as we might look to re-sign Garnett and Allen on cap-friendly deals.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »

Offline florida dodger

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Kaman, Jack, and the rights to the T-Wolves unprotected 2012 1st-rounder, for Rondo, JO, and Wilcox.  It works on the trade machine and also does the following:

1. Gives us three 1st rounders in a deep draft.  The Minny pick could be around 12-15, our own could be anywhere from 13-17, and the Clippers pick could be in the 20's.  If Danny packages all three, the he could possibly nab Harrison Barnes, Jeremy Lamb, or Kidd-Gilchrist (to name a few).

2. Still gives us a chance to compete this year and make one more run with the Big 3.

3. All of our cap room would still be intact -- in fact we'd be gaining 5 mill (after doing the math on Rondo- Jack salaries).

Thoughts?

Don't like it.

For starters, if we are trading Rondo, we should be getting New Orleans own pick not the lesser Wolves pick.

Maybe Rondo and JO for Kaman and the Hornets pick.  I'm more amenable to that but still wouldn't pull the trigger.

I'd like to rebuild with Rondo.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
boston = suck
new orleans = suck

trading from both teams that suck, would mean they would still suck....
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »

Offline florida dodger

• Jordan Walsh
boston = suck
new orleans = suck

trading from both teams that suck, would mean they would still suck....

Hornets are the 2nd worst team in the league and Kaman isn't even their starting center.

Having said that, the Hornets do have 1 or 2 good players.  Gordon who is unfortunately injured looks like he could turn out well. 

Also, I like Okafor.  He is good rebounder and defender which fits into our system and needs.  But theirs the problem of taking on his salary for the next 2 years, which I am sure some on this board will not want to do.

Hornets suck but all teams have good players (except maybe the Bobcats.)

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
It'd be a bad trade for the Celtics, and the Hornets wouldn't do it anyway. If they wanted Rondo, they would have him right now.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

Offline hangupandlisten

• Xavier Tillman
I think the Hornets would do this in a heart beat. They said no to Rondo for Chris Paul and ended up getting a better package for it (if Gordon were healthy) but for an expiring big man and Jack they'd pull the trigger.

That being said, I think I'd only do this if Minnesota were to fade a bit, thus improving the draft pick.