Author Topic: crazy, silly, total reboot idea (Nash involved)  (Read 1810 times)

crazy, silly, total reboot idea (Nash involved)
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
This will not ever, ever, ever happen.  But if the Celtics really wanted to take one last swing with this group AND rebuild through the draft, they could call up the Suns.

Sorry in advance if this has been floated elsewhere.

Step 1: trade Rondo and our 1st rounder (if necessary) for Steve Nash and the Suns unprotected (lottery) pick.  Allows the team to make one last run for old time(r)s sake

Step 2: after the season amnesty Pierce (as a favor to him), release holds on KG and Allen and totally, completely start from scratch

you'd have two picks (1 lottery) in a very good draft and you'd essentially be starting over as an expansion team

Ainge has already said he doesn't want to build through the draft, so again, this is fantasy, but interesting that it could be done so "easily"

shoot, we'd have to sign free agents just to get up to the salary floor
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: crazy, silly, total reboot idea (Nash involved)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
so then miami and chicago could really own us four old players to finish the season off. cool

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
Replacing Rondo for Nash wouldn't make the team noticeably better.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Starting over from scratch can really suck, think about the "star" free agents to even the mediocre free agents. They have to be willing to sign with the Celtics. If you have a ton of cash and no one wants to sign because you don't have any good players your stuck with crap players you paid extra for. (Similar to the Nets and Outlaw).

I understand getting the Celtics to a very low salary total seems easy but filling the roster isn't always easy.

I might be the only person on this board that WANTS Rondo. I really like his game and when hes the true Alpha I really think he will step up. All we need is to trade him and then watch him go on and crush the competition.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Nash is wonderful player, one of my favorites to watch.  I think he is old as Ray.  At this point it is side ways move. ANd he has only a short career left to give and NO interest in leaving the beautiful sunny warm area he lives. I agree it doesn't make us a ton better , maybe pick n roll with our older guys.

To me,We still need "SIZE"  aka.. rebounding , strenght to box out, and young legs to run the floor with Rondo.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Is "amnesty-ing" (this isn't a real word) Pierce really doing him a favor though?

Under the amnesty rules, only teams under the luxury tax can bid, if I'm not mistaken.  Not sure Pierce would be happy about playing for a non-contender (outside of the C's).

Otherwise, as much as I do NOT want this to happen, it is plausible.  I could see how plugging Nash into the roster in place of Rondo might help for this season, not that I personally think this is true.  And having an almost barren roster with oddles of cap space would provide numerous option going forward.  It would be the ultimate rebuild project.

On second thought, no, I don't like it.  Way too much roster uncertainty moving forward.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Trading Rondo for Nash doesn't give us the ability to make one more run, it prevents it from possibly happening. Right now there are 9-10 teams with fewer wins than the Suns, you could be trading Rondo (and possibly our pick) for Nash and a 10-12 pick. It's conceivable that Phoenix would end up with Rondo and the better 1st round pick.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Nash is wonderful player, one of my favorites to watch.  I think he is old as Ray.  At this point it is side ways move. ANd he has only a short career left to give and NO interest in leaving the beautiful sunny warm area he lives. I agree it doesn't make us a ton better , maybe pick n roll with our older guys.

To me,We still need "SIZE"  aka.. rebounding , strenght to box out, and young legs to run the floor with Rondo.

tp to the point
nash amazing passer, good shooter and ft shooter but I don't believe he makes us any better and we loose our best young player who is under contract for longer than nash will be in nba

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I already mentioned the Rondo, Ray Allen and Jermaine O'Neal for Nash, Jared Dudley and Gortat as a preseason type deal. Nobody was interested, sorry Jeff.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25616
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Phoenix is only two games behind us right now.  They'll probably end up with a better pick by virtue of being in a stronger conference, but basically we'd be moving Rondo to move up maybe 5 slots in the draft, and for 30 games of Nash.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes