Author Topic: KG hate: Jealousy or justified?  (Read 14620 times)

KG hate: Jealousy or justified?
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I just read this article on Charles Jokely Oakley and he basically calls out KG, Barkley and some others calling them whimps/sissies etc.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/charles-oakley-pretty-much-thinks-that-everybody-is-a-wimp/comment-page-1/#comment-74147

The most annoying part about it was the comments below where KG had a massive amount of hate comments and people calling him a coward/wimp/ fake tough guy etc...
(and yes, I am 'robbie84' who has left the most recent comment)

Where does this hatred come from?
I mean he has a loud mouth but it's not like he's Gilbert Arenas or Allen Iverson or some kind of locker room cancer.
Is it just jealousy and he is kind of a Lebron James villain type?

I also noticed on a RealGM poll recently a question:
'Who would you rather build a franchise around- Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan'

Duncan won with about 75% of the vote.
Call me a homer but is that not completely ridiculous?
Duncan had an elite spurs team whilst David Robinson was injured that season, they both came in the next year and won it all!
It simply amazes me how the average fans mind works.
I loved KG when he was at Minnesota for his tough defense, heart and hustle.
Do people just think he gave up in the T Wolves or something?
Stuff like this makes me even angrier at him being injured in 2009 and the 2010 loss to the Lakers. He should have at least 2 rings right now.

Does this frustrate anybody else?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: KG hate: Jealousy or justified?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A lot of stuff there:

1.  I absolutely do not think KG is a fake tough guy;

2.  I absolutely do think that KG is a bully who picks his targets;

3.  I would definitely start a franchise with Duncan over KG;

4.  I agree that if KG hadn't gotten injured, he'd have at least two rings right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think the duncan kg comparisons are kinda stupid. Or I at least think people should admit that it is very close even if picking Duncan. People are too heavily influenced on the rings argument. I do think KG was the more dominant player but people will always come at you with ring arguments among other things. I just think KG dominated like shaq did.

The whole tough thing is just so false too. A guy that plays as hard as KG does for every game he's ever played after all these years is tough. A guy that has been pretty much injury free most of his careered is tough. A guy who led the league in rebounding for a few years is tough.

He hasn't shot anyone or started a brawl.If kg isn't tough who is in the nba. Is duncan tough because he doesn't scream? Is dwight tough because he looks like he is on steroids? You can say the whole league has gone soft but kg is a prime example for todays players of what a true tough player is

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Not saying I agree with him on the kg thing BUT charles oakley was a tough bball player

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:32 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
A lot of stuff there:

4.  I agree that if KG hadn't gotten injured, he'd have at least two rings right now.

Covered it all quite succinctly!
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Not saying I agree with him on the kg thing BUT charles oakley was a tough bball player

Yeah I just don't get it especially with how vague a term it is. Its like Michael Jordan coming out and saying KG doesn't have any heart ir desire.

He gives examples of 2the guys who are both very tough in different ways. If neither KG or Perk are tough than I really don't know where his criteria comes from. You put those guys together and I can't think of one thing that isn't "TOUGH" about them

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
A lot of stuff there:

I disagree with 1, KG is a fake tough guy, which is why he picks his targets.  A real tough guy is tough with everyone not just random rookies and young players.  I've also seen KG back down when challenged.  Definition of a fake tough guy if you ask me.

I'd like to think 4 is correct, but I'm not so sure the Celtics beat the Lakers when the Lakers have a healthy Andrew Bynum. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
A lot of stuff there:

Just out of interest: do you think the TWolves would have done better with Duncan instead/the Spurs would have done worse with KG instead?

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
A lot of stuff there:

Just out of interest: do you think the TWolves would have done better with Duncan instead/the Spurs would have done worse with KG instead?
I do.  Duncan was better than Garnett.  I don't know if Duncan would have won a title in Minnesota (though I wouldn't have been surprised if he did the year KG took them to the WCF), but I absolutely believe he would have won at least one playoff series outside of that one year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A lot of stuff there:

I'd say yes on each count.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A lot of stuff there:

EXXXACTLY, rav123.

I'll even raise you one:

Let's go back in time, and place Tim Duncan in KG's spot and vice versa.....let's place KG with David Robinson, in San Antonio, with Defensive player(s) of the year David Robinson AND Bruce Bowen...

Throw in Manu, Tony Parker, Greg Popovich.....Yep KG would have 4 or 5 rings.

Vice Versa - have Tim Duncan in Minny with Sam Cassell, Rasho Nesterovic, and Latrell Sprewell. The sad thing with Spree is that when he joined Minny, he was still a very good player, but clearly on the decline by then (03-04).

Fate is kinder to some than others.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline Taklamar

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
A lot of stuff there:

My thoughts as a Minnesota fan who followed KG to the Celtics;

1. Depends on definition of "tough guy".  I think people's definition varies a fair bit there.

2. True

3. Duncan is a traditional power forward/center to build around.  I think KGs best was better than Duncans, but his skill set requires different players around him than a traditional PF role like Duncan fills.

4. 2 or 3 rings, yeah.

"Just out of interest: do you think the TWolves would have done better with Duncan instead/the Spurs would have done worse with KG instead?"

Better as in gotten out of the 1st round more often?  Yeah probably 1-2 times.  No titles though.  The lack of draft picks because of Kevin McFail's actions destroyed the KG era.  That and some...questionable signings/trades...Marko anyone?  The year they went to the WCF, the PG injuries were terrible.  Cassell and his backup, Troy Hudson, were both out/limited and playing PG was Darrick Martin.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »

Offline Taklamar

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Oops, forgot the 2nd part about KG winning less with Spurs.  Duncan was a 4 year (?) polished college player that was NBA ready.  KG was a high school player jumping to the NBA.  He wasn't polished enough for the Spurs to win that first title.  KG wasn't a force until probably his 5th year in the league.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Oakley was something of a thug. Not the worst ever, but up there. Not a cheap shot artist, but playing basketball because he was strong and knocked people around, not because he was really skilled. KG doesn't fit into that category.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Oops, forgot the 2nd part about KG winning less with Spurs.  Duncan was a 4 year (?) polished college player that was NBA ready.  KG was a high school player jumping to the NBA.  He wasn't polished enough for the Spurs to win that first title.  KG wasn't a force until probably his 5th year in the league.

Good point..especially with KG not being a force until a few years later.

Off-topic, but this makes Blake Griffin's development even more shocking.

One (Two?) years of college...first yr in NBA injured...second year in NBA? Putting up 20-10 on most nights.

Wow.