Author Topic: Trade Idea: Deron Williams for Rondo and Bass.  (Read 4525 times)

Trade Idea: Deron Williams for Rondo and Bass.
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7fcjvjl

Works in the trade machine, and if NJ gets the sense Deron is headed out of town this year, they might want to trade him for players. If we can somehow get Deron to agree to a short deal, we can try and convince Dwight Howard to sign a deal this offseason.

Re: Trade Idea: Deron Williams for Rondo and Bass.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ygnssl

I'd prefer this:

Rondo, Dooling, JaJuan Johnson for Deron

I'm at the point where I'd do this even without a Deron extension in place.  I think this could turn Boston into quasi-contenders this season.  Deron, Ray, Pierce, Bass, KG could be a very difficult lineup to defend down the stretch in the 4th quarter.  Bradley, Pietrus, and JO would be the other primary rotation players in the playoffs with Wilcox seeing JO's time when hurt.

If we have a good showing this postseason, maybe Deron re-ups and we build around him or re-up for one more go at it.  If he leaves, then we trade Pierce for expiring contracts and a nice future draft pick (like the pick Charlotte owes Chicago) then let the tanking begin.

NJ ONLY does this if Dwight gets traded somewhere.  If Dwight does, then I think NJ would be very inclined to do this, because Deron would then be surely headed outta town in the summer.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Works in the trade machine, and if NJ gets the sense Deron is headed out of town this year, they might want to trade him for players. If we can somehow get Deron to agree to a short deal, we can try and convince Dwight Howard to sign a deal this offseason.

Why would the Nets do that?  They are trying to get Howard to join Dwill, how does this trade accomplish that?  Also, there's no way that you get Williams for that deal...   

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
It's a good thought, but I suspect action781 is correct that NJ only trades DW if DH is off the table and probably would be looking for a CP type return.  Maybe Rondo, who has a nice contract, along with both of the #1's gets them interested. Note: they'd have their own lottery #1 plus Lopez and cap space.

Another good point by action is that this team with DW  is capable of making some noise this season. Deron immediately cures the C's offensive woes.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

Why would the Nets do that?  They are trying to get Howard to join Dwill, how does this trade accomplish that?  Also, there's no way that you get Williams for that deal...   

Deron Williams isn't under contract next year, and I doubt Howard would sign there if Deron may or may not be leaving. If NJ gets the impression Deron is leaving, they would at least want to trade him for something. Rondo and Bass would be better than...nothing.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
If we can get Deron to sign a short deal and then sign Josh Smith in FA, I really feel that Howard would seriously have to entertain coming to Boston. (Him and Josh Smith are BFF apparently, and Deron would be an exceptional PG for him to play with). That and the Celtics have a great coach in Doc and a max contract for the Celtics to sell him on.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
If we can get Deron to sign a short deal and then sign Josh Smith in FA, I really feel that Howard would seriously have to entertain coming to Boston. (Him and Josh Smith are BFF apparently, and Deron would be an exceptional PG for him to play with). That and the Celtics have a great coach in Doc and a max contract for the Celtics to sell him on.

If we keep Rondo and sign Smith (Smith is friends with Rondo from high school so that's a possibility) would maybe be a better domino to land Dwight.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
My immediate thoughts was 'why would the Nets do this?' But with a new arena they do have a ton to lose. Taking a hit at the PG to secure yourself another marketable star might be the right play not only basketball-wise, but business-wise.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

It's obvious why they'd do it.
If Deron Walks, they still have an All Star level PG to lure Dwight with, because he WANTS to go to New Jersey more than he wants to play with Deron Williams.
You don't think they would give up Williams for Rondo or that deal? You're kidding yourself. He can just walk out of town if he pleases and they get an All Star PG back.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
at the beginning of the season I woulda said no way to this... But now it would definitely be something I would think about and consider. Williams can take over a game at this point with his scoring, building around him and Pierce and hopefully being able to entice Howard here would be mighty fine if you ask me...

Im still skeptical that the Nets do this one however.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'm not sure what use they'd have for Bass.  Make more sense to just send them JO. 

It would be awesome if we could somehow get them to include Humphries.  We need a rebounder like that so badly.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
at the beginning of the season I woulda said no way to this... But now it would definitely be something I would think about and consider. Williams can take over a game at this point with his scoring, building around him and Pierce and hopefully being able to entice Howard here would be mighty fine if you ask me...

Who would the Celtics be competing with? I'm sure the lakers would offer Gasol, but if you are the Nets, who would you want more from a fanbase and business perspective, a 31 year old Center/forward, or a 26 year old all star caliber PG.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think people have to throw away the idea of D-Will enticing Dwight to sign in Boston.  If Dwight is available to sign as a FA this summer, then D-Will is not being traded out of NJ.

Only way NJ does this is if Dwight gets traded somewhere.  NJ is all-in for Dwight.  Deron clearly has more super-star allure than Rondo to attract Dwight, so you can all ignore the possibility of them trading Deron in any kind of package for Rondo, because D-Will is NJ's only chance of landing Dwight.  If they were to trade him to Boston, then Dwight has no reason to choose NJ over Boston anymore so just lost all chances at Dwight.

If Dwight is traded somewhere and extends, then NJ almost has no choice but to trade D-Will.  Otherwise, D-Will is certain to leave this summer if there's no chance of Dwight coming, so they will lose him for nothing.

If celts get D-Will, the celtics should absolutely hold on to Bass.  He wouldn't help the Nets anyways and is a FA this summer, so why wouldn't NJ try to acquire some of our rookies like JJJ or Bradley instead then go after Bass in FA if they like him that much?  Bass can help this team a lot this year.  I'd like the celts to hold on to JO too if possible.  He can contribute when/if on the floor in the playoffs.  Instead, trade away JJJ + Dooling to make the contracts work.  (works in trade machine)

I don't think a few of you realize that Josh Smith isn't a free agent this summer.  But, if Dwight is off the table, NJ would be wise to look at that as a next-best possibility:  acquiring Rondo then signing Josh Smith with all their cap space in '13 and hopefully that would entice some other FA signings in Brooklyn.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Who would the Celtics be competing with? I'm sure the lakers would offer Gasol, but if you are the Nets, who would you want more from a fanbase and business perspective, a 31 year old Center/forward, or a 26 year old all star caliber PG.

Honestly, I think the Nets would rather have Gasol.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Honestly, I think the Nets would rather have Gasol.

I don't know about that. Even if you think Gasol is more valuable Rondo is 5 years younger, on a better contract, one of the most popular players in the NBA (jersey sales mean a little something) and he is one of the most exciting players in the NBA.