Author Topic: Golden State and Monta Ellis  (Read 7752 times)

Re: Golden State and Monta Ellis
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 02:48:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The most recent report I read said that GSW was unwilling to trade Monta Ellis for anything less than a star talent. They are not interested in trading him for cap flexibility.

The only star talent the Celtics have (that isn't too old) is Rondo.

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 03:31:58 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
The most recent report I read said that GSW was unwilling to trade Monta Ellis for anything less than a star talent. They are not interested in trading him for cap flexibility.

The only star talent the Celtics have (that isn't too old) is Rondo.

Because they won couple of games with him. It doesn't change the fact Monta Ellis experiment in Oakland has failed. He isn't part of their future. They will trade Monta at the end of the day.

golden State and Monta Ellis
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:34 AM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
both monta and rondo are lights out performers on court, but i wonder if monta is sold on the concept of ubuntu, much less of a team..i don't think so..
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Answer to OP's question:

Ellis takes about 22 shots a game (Kobe takes 23).
Curry takes 13 shots a game.
Golden state wants to get rid of Ellis because although he's a valuable player, he's a chucker and he taking way too many shots away from Curry.

Curry is just too good to go underutilized and they can get someone back that probably helps them more than an undersized shooting guard in Ellis.

I'm not the biggest Ellis fan, he dominates the ball and is quite streaky, although with Rondo (who hates to shoot) instead of Curry, Ellis may be a nice addition as a 2 guard if we want to re tool.
Again though, he's probably a bit too short, although he is great because he can run the open floor whilst also being part of a half court offense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:30 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'd be making that call, ray allen would be the lead trade bait and move ellis right into starting lineup

Ray + 1st = Ellis

Rondo + Dooling = Al Jefferson

Bradley
Ellis
JGreen
JJJ
Big Al

Scoring won't be a problem.  Bradley's a top defender, but everyone else would have to buy in, but that's a lot of horses.
Would be entertaining on offense. That doesn't mean good necessarily with someone who will always be hit or miss like Ellis, but it would be interesting. Defense would be pretty bad, though I'm sure Ellis would get a lot of steals with Bradley's ball pressure forcing bad passes. Playing passing lanes is pretty much all Ellis does on defense.

'Buy in' won't do much to increase defensive skills. It will mostly just change interview answers.

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »

Offline KevinConnor

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
No thank you very much!

Ellis is just like Iverson and Anthony, first and foremost interested in his own stats. Sharing the bal and winning don't seem very important to him.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I know it sucks about Loyalty to Pierce, but trading him for Ellis intrigues me.

I think it works if you totally rebuild around Rondo and Ellis and let KG, Ray, and J.O. walk.  Only way you trade them is for draft picks or expiring contracts. 

With two exciting guards that should play well together and a ton of cap room, the Celtics should be able to attract a big man. 

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
People are underestimating the Celtics culture... Now, maybe if you remove the Big 3, then a guy like Monta Ellis will come in and fail to buy into "ubuntu" or defense, or the team concept that we have been so used to... But did we ever think Paul Pierce would turn into the person he is now when he was throwing his fits in his early-mid 20s? Paul was a selfish player in his early days as well.

Ellis has the talent. We all know that. He's had some great statistical years, so it's just just "upside." The gamble is, can you get him to buy into everything being a Celtic is about? I think we have the right people here to do that.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd love it if we can get Ellis for Pierce or Ray. I think a back court of Rondo and Ellis would be very difficult to guard on the break. In order for us to get ellis we would need to involve a third team with young prospects.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19