Author Topic: Prediction: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce  (Read 24889 times)

Prediction: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
While Rondo trade talk is rampant right now, Danny always: a) takes the long view; b) tries to grow his assets; c) is not sentimental about his players.

With that in mind, a Pierce trade is coming. Given the difficulty of bringing free agents to Boston, you'd have to think that Danny's strategy over the next couple years is going to be to stockpile young assets and picks, and either wait for them to get good, or, more likely, cash them back in for star-level veteran players who don't fit in their current homes.

If you think about that way, having Pierce and Rondo for the next two years really makes no sense -- it improves your record, which worsens your position in the lottery -- and it wastes Pierce's last two years without getting anything back.

On the other hand, if you trade Pierce now, you could get a couple young guys + picks, which both accelerates the rebuilding process, and makes you worse next year, which gives you another good pick.

I think he'll try to do the same with Allen and Garnett, but the challenge there will be not to take back bad contracts. But my guess is that come March 16th, we will have a very different roster than we do today.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:13:01 PM by Kiorrik »

Re: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:35:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't doubt that Danny will try.  I'm not entirely sure what kinds of deals will actually be out there, though.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you think about that way, having Pierce and Rondo for the next two years really makes no sense -- it improves your record, which worsens your position in the lottery -- and it wastes Pierce's last two years without getting anything back.

Rebuilding with Pierce and Rondo in the roster will be a faster return to contendership than turning the team into the Washington Wizards.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You can start this post about every player on the Celtics at this point.

I do agree Pierce might be one of the more likely ones to actually be traded.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I don't think so.

Wyc tipped his hand during a broadcast with Mike, though, saying they'd have room for two max guys this summer.  The only way I can figure that is by amnestying Pierce.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
You can start this post about every player on the Celtics at this point.

I do agree Pierce might be one of the more likely ones to actually be traded.

Yeah, I think every player is on the table, but Pierce makes the most sense for a number of reasons.  He's easily the most valuable member of the Big 3, and also the youngest of the 3 (or should I say least old).

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
I don't think so.

Wyc tipped his hand during a broadcast with Mike, though, saying they'd have room for two max guys this summer.  The only way I can figure that is by amnestying Pierce.

Or by trading him for expiring contracts.

There's also the distinct possibility that Wyc just doesn't really understand the cap all that well.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wow man please change the title or something, lol... :)

I've already prepared myself mentally for Danny to trade just about anyone at this point, but that still doesn't mean it won't shock me.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

I've already prepared myself mentally for Danny to trade just about anyone at this point, but that still doesn't mean it won't shock me.
I'm trying to make it easier for you when it happens -- prepare yourself.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Good point.

I guess that after Febuary of last year, nothing should surprise me anymore.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Good point.

Last February was just the appetizer.  I'm guessing once we get full swing into rebuilding, a lot of fans will be shocked by the rapid change.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I don't think so.

Or by trading him for expiring contracts.

There's also the distinct possibility that Wyc just doesn't really understand the cap all that well.

Wyc didn't get that rich by not paying attention to the numbers.  He can't do talent evals like Danny, but I'd guess he has the numbers side of things down pat.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Good point.

Last February was just the appetizer.  I'm guessing once we get full swing into rebuilding, a lot of fans will be shocked by the rapid change.

At this point, I'd be happy with a return of this guy, somehow:

Even after Kobe's statements, Mitch has let it be known that Pau is still on the table.

I still believe that Danny isn't giving up on this year, though....I have no clue about what it would take to get Pau, or if what we are giving up would be too great, but....I trust Danny with whatever happens at this point.

Who knows - this team could also get Bass, KG and everyone else back healthy...go on a 10-15 game win streak, right into the trade deadline...Danny could turn down trade offers based off of this scenario, and we'd all be happy.

I'm still optimistic.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Danny needs to make some kind of move.  If he can get serious quality youth prospects for any of our players, I'm ready (for the first time) to move them.  I'm not sure I see that happening though... the only thing I can come close to imagining is a Pierce-Gay deal where perhaps we also send some depth at another position like Bass.

If he can't get youth, then I feel that Danny NEEDS to make a move that helps us make one final push this season.  Pau?  Fine.  Finishing the season with this current roster is the last thing I want to happen.

I'm all for trading Rondo personally.  He is 26 tomorrow and how long does rebuilding take?  If it takes 5 years to reach the point of contention, then by the time we are contending, then this pg we are "building around" will be 31 years old... a 31 point point guard who's game is currently built around athleticism.   :-\  If he can develop a jump shot like J-Kidd has, then he could still be effective at that stage of his career.  But I don't have faith in that happening.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Danny needs to make some kind of move.  If he can get serious quality youth prospects for any of our players, I'm ready (for the first time) to move them.  I'm not sure I see that happening though... the only thing I can come close to imagining is a Pierce-Gay deal where perhaps we also send some depth at another position like Bass.

If he can't get youth, then I feel that Danny NEEDS to make a move that helps us make one final push this season.  Pau?  Fine.  Finishing the season with this current roster is the last thing I want to happen.

I'm all for trading Rondo personally.  He is 26 tomorrow and how long does rebuilding take?  If it takes 5 years to reach the point of contention, then by the time we are contending, then this pg we are "building around" will be 31 years old... a 31 point point guard who's game is currently built around athleticism.   :-\  If he can develop a jump shot like J-Kidd has, then he could still be effective at that stage of his career.  But I don't have faith in that happening.

He could still be athletic at 31...Dwyane Wade is 30 and he is just as fast as ever.

Honestly, you can't look at someone who just turned 26 and say "Yeah but he'll be too old in 6 years when we are good again, so lets trade him." Seems silly.