Author Topic: Prediction: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce  (Read 25008 times)

Re: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
... But my guess is that come March 16th, we will have a very different roster than we do today.

I don't think they will - nor they will have to - trade RR next month. They team rebuilding is planned to be done, calmly, for the offseason. They probably didn't have any hight expectation from this season, which is like a farewell for the 2008 era.

I'm throwing some numbers for a possible scenario. The actual roster total salary is $79.5MM (source: Hoopsworld, this is without counting Wallace and Shaq sort of severance wages). From the actual roster, only 6 players have contracts for next season: RR, PP, JJJ, EM, AB and BB. These contracts amount globally for $35.5MM so this leaves 8-9 spots and $44MM open, supposing the next year they will pay the same amount of money as of this season.

From the other current staff, if they resign RA and KG for the kind of money JO made this year, this will cost another $10MM. And of course, JO will go home, does not matter how little money he is willing to play for.

If they can resign CW, GS and MP for the same kind of money they made this year plus the 20%, this will amount for another $6MM. In my opinion, they won't offer anything to KD, SP and MD.

So far, we have 11 players: 4 G, 6 F and 1 C, and we have spent from the original $79.5MM:
$35.5MM plus $10MM plus $6MM = $51.5MM

This leaves them with 3-4 free spots in the roster and $79.5MM minus $51.5MM = $28MM available to spend in new contracts.

Then, with $28MM, they will have a very good chance of making a shot for a way above average Center player plus two other good players. For reference, this is what top centers around the league will make (according to actual contracts) for next season:
Chandler $13.6MM,
Bynum $16.1MM,
Noah $11.3MM,
Mark Gasol $13.9MM.

You can't go over the cap like that to sign free agents.

Re: Prediction: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Yeah, I think a Rondo for Williams trade would be at the top of Danny's list. 

The only problem is that it wouldn't coincide with a Howard signing, because NJ would only trade Williams once Howard is traded to a team like the Lakers, so they know that there is no chance he will even hit free agency.

But yeah, if Howard is traded to a team that will resign him, I think Danny will go hard after Williams, and he would have a great chance, since I don't think any team will offer more than Rondo without Williams agreeing to not opt out...which I don't believe Danny would require.

You think Ainge would trade Rondo for a half-season rental of Williams?

If D-Will wouldn't resign with the Nets sans Howard, I can't see any feasible reason he'd resign in Boston with a 35-year-old Pierce and slim pickings from a diluted free agent class.

Not worth it. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
rondo is better than d-will in a lot of ways. rondos contract gives us more flexability. theres too many positives to rondo staying

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
highly likely he will, but i won't be amazed if he doesn't...
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 03:13:40 AM »

Offline ReggieLewis#35

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
The thought of being pierceless is crazy,but if we can become better in the future i say get it if you can.