Author Topic: Prediction: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce  (Read 25020 times)

Re: Danny Ainge is going to trade Paul Pierce
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
On the other hand, if you trade Pierce now, you could get a couple young guys + picks

from whom?  what team is giving us a package of picks and young guys for Paul Pierce?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think so.

Wyc tipped his hand during a broadcast with Mike, though, saying they'd have room for two max guys this summer.  The only way I can figure that is by amnestying Pierce.

Or by trading him for expiring contracts.

There's also the distinct possibility that Wyc just doesn't really understand the cap all that well.

Wyc didn't get that rich by not paying attention to the numbers.  He can't do talent evals like Danny, but I'd guess he has the numbers side of things down pat.

I'd guess you're right about that.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
On the other hand, if you trade Pierce now, you could get a couple young guys + picks

from whom?  what team is giving us a package of picks and young guys for Paul Pierce?

Houston seems like a natural fit.  A huge pile of substantial expiring rookie contracts (Thabeet, Flynn, Hill, T-Will, Dragic, Lee) and some other young guys, plus a pretty giant hole where a starting-quality SF should be.  Pierce would definitely elevate that team into a more serious playoff contender.  Their core (Lowry, Martin, Scola, Dalembert) would all be locked up for another year, as well, making it a smooth fit.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
I don't think so.

Wyc tipped his hand during a broadcast with Mike, though, saying they'd have room for two max guys this summer.  The only way I can figure that is by amnestying Pierce.

Or by trading him for expiring contracts.

There's also the distinct possibility that Wyc just doesn't really understand the cap all that well.

Wyc didn't get that rich by not paying attention to the numbers.  He can't do talent evals like Danny, but I'd guess he has the numbers side of things down pat.

I'd guess you're right about that.

Eh, Wyc just likes to get everyone excited about free agency.  Remember when he said the C's would be able to sign a max free agent the year Pierce opted out? 

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

Houston seems like a natural fit.  A huge pile of substantial expiring rookie contracts (Thabeet, Flynn, Hill, T-Will, Dragic, Lee) and some other young guys, plus a pretty giant hole where a starting-quality SF should be.  Pierce would definitely elevate that team into a more serious playoff contender.  Their core (Lowry, Martin, Scola, Dalembert) would all be locked up for another year, as well, making it a smooth fit.

Houston is a good choice. Chicago for Deng plus picks. Portland? One of the challenges of this kind of a deal is that teams who are going to want him are contenders, whose picks are worth less.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'd actually suspect that Houston wants to move Martin and promote Courtney Lee as a starter in his place.  The other young guys are an unexciting bunch.

I think a more logical trade involves Pierce to Dallas, two out of Heywood/Odom/Marion being absorbed by Boston's cap space, and the Celtics getting compensated with Dominique Jones and Roddy Beaubois (plus a draft pick?), while Dallas maybe clears enough cap space to add Dwight Howard or Deron Williams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'd actually suspect that Houston wants to move Martin and promote Courtney Lee as a starter in his place.  The other young guys are an unexciting bunch.

I think a more logical trade involves Pierce to Dallas, two out of Heywood/Odom/Marion being absorbed by Boston's cap space, and the Celtics getting compensated with Dominique Jones and Roddy Beaubois (plus a draft pick?), while Dallas maybe clears enough cap space to add Dwight Howard or Deron Williams.
Huh? Pierce and Dirk would eat enough of the cap combined to shoot the dreams of Deron/Howard down.

Pierce makes 16, Dirk makes around 20 right? That is enough to take them down to a single high level FA right there.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
Wow man please change the title or something, lol... :)

I've already prepared myself mentally for Danny to trade just about anyone at this point, but that still doesn't mean it won't shock me.
I'm trying to make it easier for you when it happens -- prepare yourself.

Good point.

I guess that after Febuary of last year, nothing should surprise me anymore.

Last February was just the appetizer.  I'm guessing once we get full swing into rebuilding, a lot of fans will be shocked by the rapid change.

At this point, I'd be happy with a return of this guy, somehow:

Even after Kobe's statements, Mitch has let it be known that Pau is still on the table.

I still believe that Danny isn't giving up on this year, though....I have no clue about what it would take to get Pau, or if what we are giving up would be too great, but....I trust Danny with whatever happens at this point.

Pau would be a great fetch for Pierce if the Lakers could be convinced. 

Pierce/JO/Bass/Bradley for Pau/Barnes/Morris/trade exception might be tempting to them.

Pierce's shooting and secondary playmaking make him a better fit between Kobe and Bynum than Pau.  Bass' speed and high-level jump-shooting makes him a nice pairing with Bynum.  JO is a decent back-up 5.  Bradley's the athletic, role-playing PG that they'll need to sick on Russell Westbrook, CP3, Tony Parker, Kyle Lowry, etc. 

Rondo/Gasol would be a fantastic pairing going forward.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Huh? Pierce and Dirk would eat enough of the cap combined to shoot the dreams of Deron/Howard down.

Pierce makes 16, Dirk makes around 20 right? That is enough to take them down to a single high level FA right there.

There are actually scenarios out there for Dallas signing both Dwight Howard and Deron Williams that work.  They involve trading Odom and either Heywood or Marion and amnestying the one that isn't traded.

I'm just positing the scenario of the Mavs ending up with Howard/Pierce or Williams/Pierce instead of Howard/Williams.  (Note the use of the word "or".)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

There are actually scenarios out there for Dallas signing both Dwight Howard and Deron Williams that work.  They involve trading Odom and either Heywood or Marion and amnestying the one that isn't traded.

I'm just positing the scenario of the Mavs ending up with Howard/Pierce or Williams/Pierce instead of Howard/Williams.  (Note the use of the word "or".)
I don't think they have to trade Odom, his deal is only partially guarenteed. They need to buy him out, trade one of Marion/Haywood, and then amnesty the other.

So why would they give up assets to get Pierce instead of just trading Marion/Haywood to open up the two max salary slots? I don't see them having any issues moving Haywood or Marion to another team under the cap.

Only if Howard and/or Deron is already off the market would they move for Pierce, then it makes sense.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I've already prepared myself mentally for Danny to trade just about anyone at this point, but that still doesn't mean it won't shock me.

Good point.

Last February was just the appetizer.  I'm guessing once we get full swing into rebuilding, a lot of fans will be shocked by the rapid change.

Even after Kobe's statements, Mitch has let it be known that Pau is still on the table.

I still believe that Danny isn't giving up on this year, though....I have no clue about what it would take to get Pau, or if what we are giving up would be too great, but....I trust Danny with whatever happens at this point.

Pierce/JO/Bass/Bradley for Pau/Barnes/Morris/trade exception might be tempting to them.

Pierce's shooting and secondary playmaking make him a better fit between Kobe and Bynum than Pau.  Bass' speed and high-level jump-shooting makes him a nice pairing with Bynum.  JO is a decent back-up 5.  Bradley's the athletic, role-playing PG that they'll need to sick on Russell Westbrook, CP3, Tony Parker, Kyle Lowry, etc. 

I suppose there's no way financially that we could keep Paul in this case?

I'd rather go with a Pierce/Pau/KG frontline - IF it comes to this.

I'd think that LA's main need is a PG.

We'd be left with AB and/or Moore for PG duties...I love these guys, but that scenario is a stretch.

Lord I don't want Rondo or Pierce to go, but unless BOS runs off a winning streak here I'm betting something happens here in the next few weeks.

I just don't want to be shocked like I was back in Feb 2011.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Good point.

I suppose there's no way financially that we could keep Paul in this case?

I'd rather go with a Pierce/Pau/KG frontline - IF it comes to this.

I'd think that LA's main need is a PG.

We'd be left with AB and/or Moore for PG duties...I love these guys, but that scenario is a stretch.

Lord I don't want Rondo or Pierce to go, but unless BOS runs off a winning streak here I'm betting something happens here in the next few weeks.

I just don't want to be shocked like I was back in Feb 2011.

The Lakers might want Rondo (even though he'd be a terrible fit on that slow, post-up team), but if I had to choose between Paul/Pau and Rondo/Pau, I'd go with the latter: cheaper, more years together.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm open to dealing Pierce, but while we're talking Lakers, I think they would much rather have Rondo out of anyone on our team.

The question is from me anyways would be like GreenFaith said; would Gasol be available in exchange?

Hopefully, both teams would go from there. And I also agree with Greenfaith on that I'd rather Rondo and keep Pierce. Assuming the premise that this is a guards' league is actually true, it'd probably be easier to replace Rondo than it would be to protect Pierce. People have mentioned Ramon Sessions. I dunno if that's doable, but it's better than nothing.

But, overall, I feel like there will be better offers out there for Rondo than for Pierce.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
You cant get much for Pierce right now.
But one prospect i seem to like is Derrick Williams from Minnesota. Great replacement. But nowhere near Pierce.
We should trade Ray for Kmart (Houston)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Anything is possible just took on a new meaning, I suppose. Honestly, I do not care at this point who plays for the Celtics I just want them to win basketball games. If they cannot do that, then at least play with effort and passion.
The beatings will continue until morale improves