Poll

What should happen to Jason Whitlock

Suspended
Fired
No Discipline
Ridiculed into submission for his hypocrisy

Author Topic: What should happen to Jason Whitlock  (Read 29637 times)

What should happen to Jason Whitlock
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
For those of you that haven't hear Jason Whitlock put out pretty offensive and racist tweet after the Knciks beat the Lakers last week.

The story can be found here, http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-02-12/jason-whitlock-apologizes-for-offensive-jeremy-lin-tweet

For somebody like Whitlock who always seems to be a go to guy for a quote whenever a racially charged incident happens in the world of sports to come out and do something like this is pretty much the definition of hypocricy. 

How do you feel? What should happen to Jason? Is this a big deal or not?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: What should happen to Jason Whitlock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Suspension.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I got caught up in the excitement.

so the first thing he does is think about little lin ? pretty creepy if you ask me(It's an insult to asians clearly, how can you get caught up in the excitement and then come out with a tweet like that?) . Oh by the way it doesn't look like Whitlock could curl a woman's toes himself, look at that dude, he looks like BBD

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Say what you want, but I personally don't think it's insensitive to enjoy racist jokes (obviously depending on the approach).

However, there's absolutely, 100%, an appropriate time and place for them.  He went about it in the wrong way, and on top of that, it wasn't even in good taste.

I don't think what he did was a big deal, but I myself would fire him.  He knew he was representing Fox Sports when he did it, and that makes me think he's not all there in the head.  There's no chance he thought, "these guys won't mind being associated with this."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Who is Jason Whitlock?  The dude is a nobody anyways.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
yea fox pretty much gives him free reign to say whatever he pleases as long as people are clicking the link. the egg is on their face, though it seems like this is the type of "news" they prefer from him.

i actually think whitlock has some decent insight, but i just hate how he makes it sound like he is the be-all-end-all authority on race in sports.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
yea fox pretty much gives him free reign to say whatever he pleases as long as people are clicking the link. the egg is on their face, though it seems like this is the type of "news" they prefer from him.

i actually think whitlock has some decent insight, but i just hate how he makes it sound like he is the be-all-end-all authority on race in sports.

I'm with you JGOD and thats why I voted for ridicule him into submission.  Basically his only shtick right now is race issues.  I think people basically getting to the point where they say, "He isnt even good for race issues anymore, look at what he tweeted," will be much more effective than fox just firing or suspending him. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A lengthy suspension.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, based off of some of the "stuff" I've heard over the years......the Bill Maher rant about Tebow....other stuff dealing with race, religion, etc....

Whitlock should be chastised..maybe fined at the most...but then - was Maher fined?

I was very close to cancelling my HBO subscription with Maher's rant. To my knowledge - nothing happened to the guy.

What Lin is doing is great for the NBA...I've missed Yao Ming since he retired. I hope that Lin continues it, and that Melo gets onboard quickly.

But anyways Whitlock did apologize..he seemed to get caught up in the moment. If I were his fellow journalists I'd pull him aside and chastise him, but nothing more.

I'm sure he won't do it again.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Speaking of hypocrisy ....

His only "crime" was picking the wrong guy/thing. If Lin was an outspoken Christian and he did a long skit about how he's not actually good and neither is his team and Jesus is just doing all the work people would be here saying "Hey guys! See that skit! It was so funny!"

I'm not his father and don't like thinking about everyone I'm going to offend or make cry every time I say or write something.

I'm pretty sure Lin is ok.  Back to real problems.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Whitlock is a race card pushing hack. 

His writing, especially since joining Fox Sports, has become a joke.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't know what 'should' happen to him, but besides bein bad at his job, he's also obviOusly bad at making jokes and apologies.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I admit I kinda liked him on Sports Reporters. I thought he balanced off Mike Lupica and Bob Ryan ok

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Speaking of hypocrisy ....

His only "crime" was picking the wrong guy/thing. If Lin was an outspoken Christian and he did a long skit about how he's not actually good and neither is his team and Jesus is just doing all the work people would be here saying "Hey guys! See that skit! It was so funny!"

I'm not his father and don't like thinking about everyone I'm going to offend or make cry every time I say or write something.

I'm pretty sure Lin is ok.  Back to real problems.

Or maybe its not a big deal because he isnt black.  If this was a wellfare joke or a fried chicken joke it would be completely different.  Nappy headed hoes was a huge deal.

Think of the most racist thing you can say to an Asian person and pretty much this week it has been said, whether it was light hearted or not, math jokes, food jokes etc.  Its just a different mentality culturally. 

On that note, I dont think it was a huge deal, but I also think other racial incidents get more attention than they deserve as well.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Nobody rushed to condemn SNL or Maher. Nobody rushed to the defense of my guys.

So I'm not going to condemn Whitlock or worry about Lin.

Not playing this game.  Boo freaking hoo.

It's between Whitlock, his employers, and the Asian community. Gee I wonder who'll win that one.