Author Topic: Will KG be thought of as a Celtic years from now? What about Allen?  (Read 24850 times)

Re: Will KG be thought of as a Celtic years from now? What about Allen?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
If KG plays out the 3 years with Boston I would retire his number and forever remember him as a Celtic. He's done so much for us, changing the culture, buying into the Celtic way, embracing it, and most importantly he's won.

I think Ray's is up in the air. If he doesn't win a title in Miami I could see him kinda being remembered as a Celtic. If he wins in Miami I think he will be remembered as a ring chaser.

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »

Offline AlainaCath

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
KG will be remembered as a Celtic to everyone outside of the Great Lakes.  History remembers playoff teams, that's the reality.

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
KG - yes. He'll be a guy who should have been a Celtic his whole career, it was just an accident of history he went to elsewhere first. Think of someone like DJ who won a championship elsewhere, but he's a Celtic.

RA - no. He'll be remembered as multi-team guy and the best shooter to ever play. He played on the C's in 08 amongst other teams, but he was best when he didn't have to be the best player on the team.

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
KG - He has to be just because of the championship and his, hopeful, retirement in green. He was a beast/freak in Minny putting up stats galore. But he changed the culture of the boston celtics when he came here and to do that to a team that has so many memories and such rich tradition, thats pretty special.

Allen - Since this is his fourth team i am not so sure. The championship helps and so does breaking the 3 point record here... But he didnt have as huge as an impact on this team as KG did. He was the main man in Seattle and people still had trouble viewing and being exposed to his game.

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Kg will and Ray won't.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think both will.

They were involved in so many big stage games in the past 5 seasons.  Lots of national exposure for them while on the Celtics while playing at a high level.  2 Finals appearances plus a couple of highly touted Heat series.  Then you factor in all the Big 3 ESPN items from the past 5 years, I think most of the country will associate them with the Celtics.

Their best brand of basketball didn't necessarily occur with the Celtics but the title plus a lot of time in the spotlight while in Boston leads me to believe they will mostly be associated as Celtics.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Interesting to note that if Ray had signed this last contract, he would have ended his career with 7 full years in Boston - more than with any other team.

At that point, given his success here he'd be a Celtic.

Now I don't see it happening. There's too much bad blood.

As to KG, I would climb up into the rafters myself to hang that number up there. I suspect we all feel that way.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
After 2008 KG put himself ahead of Bill Walton on my All-Time Celtics list, since then he's been steadily climbing up the ladder.

Ray Allen, while also on that list, is probably somewhere around Danny Ainge (as a player). I don't think he should be raised to the rafters.

KG is/will be:
Championship + Years in the uniform + Impact on the franchise

Ray is:
Championship

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
KG is without a doubt a Celtic.  His number goes to the rafters next to Paul's.

Allen, he'll just be another guy that helped us win a title.  He was here because he was traded here, not because he wanted to be.

Personally, I'll remember Allen as a scum-bag, a scum-bag that helped us win a title.

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31
KG will definitely be rememebered as a Celtic.  Changed the culture.. Anchored a top 3 defense in the NBA for the past 5 years.. Brought us a chip.. The Celtics would be nowhere right now, had it not been for KG.. 5 WILL BE IN THE RAFTERS.

Allen's case is tough.  Especially since he moved to the dark side.. But he did provide COUNTLESS memories.. that playoff series against the Bulls, where he just went absolutely bananas hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3.. Definitely some of of my favorite memories throughout all my years watching the NBA.. He broke the record here.. Hit SOOOOO many big/clutch/buzzer beating shots... He sacrificed so much for us......... BUT.. he pulled a grimey move siding with Darth "Pat Riley" Vader..

so.. I SAY NO, RAY. YOU WILL NOT BE REMEMBERED AS A CELTIC. YOU BROKE YOUR FANS' HEARTS, RAY. YOU SHALL FOREVER BE KNOWN AS A TEAM-HOPPING MERCENARY AND I CANT WAIT TIL AVERY BRADLEY COMES BACK AND SHUTS YOU DOWN WHEN WE PLAY YOU.. OH AND I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO ALL THE HEAT AND C'S GAMES.. AND I WILL BOO.. BOO TIL I PASS OUT EVERY TIME YOU TOUCH THE BALL..

(VENT COMPLETE. Caps now off.)

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
KG is no question in my book. Ray is still very much up in the air. As for right now, DJ is the best former SuperSonic to play at a high level for the Celtics.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
KG - Absolutely
Ray -- Absolutely not

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With KG now in Brooklyn, I think it is time to bump this thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
With KG, a resounding YES.  Allen, not at all

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Of course, KG's career will likely be highlighted by being a Celtic. He won his first ring as a Celtic. He did one of most memorable and joyful "Anything is possible" celebration as a Celtic. He made and broke several records as a Celtic. He redefined the Celtic culture. He showed others what it meant to be a Celtic. He forced his teammates to not play for stats, but from their heart. He helped Pierce bring back this franchise to greatness.