Author Topic: Will KG be thought of as a Celtic years from now? What about Allen?  (Read 24927 times)

Re: Will KG be thought of as a Celtic years from now? What about Allen?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
KG is pretty similar to Clyde Drexler.  Spent the good portion of his career on one team, ended his career elsewhere where he was an integral member of a championship team.  Clyde spent 11.5 years in Portland and only 3.5 in Houston, but had he played a few more in Houston, I don't think it would have changed the perception much. 

I guess the question is, how is Drexler perceived as a Trailblazer or as a Rocket.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
it's hard to say what they will be 'thought of' as.. the more interesting question will be what they go into the HOF as, Celtics or a different team.. something tells me Ray Ray is almost assured of going in as a Celtic, that's just my feeling based on his comments over the years.. KG had a lot of loyalty to the TWolve franchise, and it would be less surprising to see him to go in with that jersey on, but if I had to put money on it I think I would lean toward the C's.  he's just accomplished so much more that's been meaningful while he's been here.

as far as the comment earlier about this C's team being a 'footnote' to the Kobe Lakers, I think that's needlessly harsh.  This C's team was MILLIMETERS from making Kobe a footnote to their 2 titles in 3 years, and my feeling is that wasn't lost on people around the league.  commentators, coaches and players around the league voiced amazement at what the C's did in 2010.  A hundred years from now, maybe the only name people remember is Kobe Bryant but in the short term this team gets a lot more respect.  comparisons to the Chuck Daly Pistons i think are pretty deserved, and not in the least bit something to be ashamed of.  let's wait and see what they do this year...

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
moved two posts down
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:01:59 AM by Rondoholic »

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
KG is pretty similar to Clyde Drexler.  Spent the good portion of his career on one team, ended his career elsewhere where he was an integral member of a championship team.  Clyde spent 11.5 years in Portland and only 3.5 in Houston, but had he played a few more in Houston, I don't think it would have changed the perception much. 

I guess the question is, how is Drexler perceived as a Trailblazer or as a Rocket.

That's a good analogy.  Clyde the Glide was still a star when he helped lead the Rockets to a title, and, at least from my perspective, his time as a Houston Rocket is more memorable.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday

I think Drexler is a Blazer just because he was second fiddle on Rockets who were definitely Olajuwon's team (and 1st fiddle on finals teams in late 80s/early 90s in Portland).

I like what you're thinking though and am struggling to find an example myself.

How about Barkley -- great player in Philly for 8 years, then an MVP in Phoenix where he had his greatest team success during his 4 years there. He's probably shared by those teams in terms of legacy although maybe remembered most for Phoenix because of '93 season/finals. Also, you'd have to exclude the 4 years in Houston after Phoenix too.

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think Drexler is a Blazer just because he was second fiddle on Rockets who were definitely Olajuwon's team (and 1st fiddle on finals teams in late 80s/early 90s in Portland).

I like what you're thinking though and am struggling to find an example myself.

How about Barkley -- great player in Philly for 8 years, then an MVP in Phoenix where he had his greatest team success during his 4 years there. He's probably shared by those teams in terms of legacy although maybe remembered most for Phoenix because of '93 season/finals. Also, you'd have to exclude the 4 years in Houston after Phoenix too.
Wasn't KG second fiddle to Pierce?  Granted they were a bit closer, but Drexler was still an incredible scorer in that championship season in Houston. 

How do people remember Wilt?  5.5 years with the Warriors, 3.5 years with the Sixers, 5 with the Lakers (though 1 he played in just 12 regular season games).  Championships with the Sixers and Lakers and the most dominant seasons ever with the Warriors. 

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
Wasn't KG second fiddle to Pierce?  Granted they were a bit closer, but Drexler was still an incredible scorer in that championship season in Houston.  

How do people remember Wilt?  5.5 years with the Warriors, 3.5 years with the Sixers, 5 with the Lakers (though 1 he played in just 12 regular season games).  Championships with the Sixers and Lakers and the most dominant seasons ever with the Warriors.  

Pierce was the scorer but I think KG was the identity of that team. Plus, I still think KG was technically still in his prime during the championship run, he just chose a different identity as a player due to the fact that Pierce and Allen were here.

I would guess Wilt is remembered as a Laker.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Eh...different chapters.

There were significant years for each player on different teams.

Going on the 5th here in Boston...that's a good percentage of thei careers. 

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For me, KG will be thought of as a Hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2niW_PpCA

No matter what happens from here on out.

I'm believing that he has a few more bullies to knock out before he hangs it up, too.

Hopefully, Minny is already planning to retire his jersey, like they are doing with Shaq in LA soon.

Ray?

Class, and Clutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x99mER-dzFw

I hope the rumors about SEA getting a franchise back are true, because Ray certainly deserves to have his jersey retired SOMEWHERE.

As far as history? Well, the TRUE Basketball Purists and Historians, wherever they may be, will always remember these two and what they've done for not only BOS, but their previous teams.

After all the fluff of Lebron and Co clears, years from now historians will remember that NO OTHER TEAM did what The Boston Celtics did back in 07-08...take 2 pieces and add them to another piece in BOS..go from 24 wins to Championship next year.

As Joe Fan I am stating that this will NEVER be done again.

MIA tried it, but failed. They had decent chemistry, but not PERFECT chemistry:

Yes - no matter what happens from here on out, it has been special. Sometimes, Banners don't matter - at least to me. It's how the game is played, and BOS has done it the right way for the most part.

That's what I'll remember, and I hope others do, too.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Will depend who he goes into the HOF of fame under, same is true of Allen.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
Is Bill Walton thought of a Celtic?

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Guys are most often remembered for where they were successful.

In that regard, Pierce, KG, and Allen will always be remembered as Celtics.  If given the choice, I'm sure they'll all choose to enter the Hall of Fame as Celtics.  If the League decides (like in MLB), then KG may go in as a Timberwolves player, but Pierce and Allen will be Celtics.

Now, can anything change in the next few seasons?  Pierce is a Celtic for life, even if he's traded to another team.  KG will retire soon enough, so I doubt he'll add to his legacy on another team.  Allen, he may go to another contender and win a title, but I feel he'll still be remembered as a Celtic, even if he spends his twilight years elsewhere.

Good forum question.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
Guys are most often remembered for where they were successful.

In that regard, Pierce, KG, and Allen will always be remembered as Celtics.  If given the choice, I'm sure they'll all choose to enter the Hall of Fame as Celtics.  If the League decides (like in MLB), then KG may go in as a Timberwolves player, but Pierce and Allen will be Celtics.

Now, can anything change in the next few seasons?  Pierce is a Celtic for life, even if he's traded to another team.  KG will retire soon enough, so I doubt he'll add to his legacy on another team.  Allen, he may go to another contender and win a title, but I feel he'll still be remembered as a Celtic, even if he spends his twilight years elsewhere.

Good forum question.

Yes, in reference to Ray possibly winning another championship somewhere else, I think it would end up being similar to Robert Parish winning one with the Bulls. He was brought in via trade as well, but he'll always be remembered as part of the Celtics' "Big 3".

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Wasn't KG second fiddle to Pierce?  Granted they were a bit closer, but Drexler was still an incredible scorer in that championship season in Houston.  

How do people remember Wilt?  5.5 years with the Warriors, 3.5 years with the Sixers, 5 with the Lakers (though 1 he played in just 12 regular season games).  Championships with the Sixers and Lakers and the most dominant seasons ever with the Warriors.  

Pierce was the scorer but I think KG was the identity of that team. Plus, I still think KG was technically still in his prime during the championship run, he just chose a different identity as a player due to the fact that Pierce and Allen were here.

I would guess Wilt is remembered as a Laker.
Drexler was still in his prime for the Rockets championship team he was on.  He was a 20.5/7/5 player in the post season that year.  Heck 2 years later Houston made another strong run and Clyde was still 18.1/5.6/4.8 at 34.  That was clearly the Dream's team, but Clyde wasn't some afterthought and I don't think the Rockets win that second title without Clyde.

Clyde had a lot more success in Portland than KG ever had in Minnesota, which may very well make them a bit different, but I still think they will both be remembered for their first team not their second.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Will depend who he goes into the HOF of fame under, same is true of Allen.

I don't think players in the Basketball HOF "go in" under one team.  It's not like baseball, where players wear a particular team's cap. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes