Author Topic: Celtics (14-11) at Raptors (8-19) 2/10  (Read 27913 times)

Celtics (14-11) at Raptors (8-19) 2/10
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (14-10) at Toronto Raptors (8-19)
Friday, February 10
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #26 – Road Game #9
TV: CSNNE, TSN, NBA-LP 751
Radio:  WEEI, CJCL 
Air Canada Centre

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG:  Ray Allen   
SF:  Paul Pierce
PF:  Kevin Garnett
C:   Jermaine O'Neal

Celtics Reserves
Brandon Bass
E'twaun Moore
Greg Stiemsma
JaJuan Johnson
Sasha Pavlovic
Marquis Daniels
Mickael Pietrus

Injured
Keyon Dooling (hip) day to day
Avery Bradley (shoulder)  day to day

Probable Starters
PGSG SF PFC
PG:  Jose Calderon   
SG: Jerryd Bayless
SF: DeMar DeRozan
PF: James Johnson
C:   Amir Johnson

Raptors Bench
Ed Davis 
Jamaal Magloire
Gary Forbes
Anthony Carter
Solomon Alabi
Rasual Butler 
Linas Kleiza
Aaron Gray
Leandro Barbosa

Injuries
Andrea Bargnani  (calf)  out

Team Connections
Rajon Rondo, Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey and Jamaal Magloire all attended the University of Kentucky
Jermaine O’Neal played in Toronto during the 2008-09 season
Linas Kleiza and Keyon Dooling both went to the University of Missouri
Keyon Dooling and Rasual Butler were teammates on the Miami Heat during the 2004-05 season
Rasual Butler and Brandon Bass were teammates in New Orleans from 2005-07
Brandon Bass and Jamaal Magloire were teammates in Dallas during the 2007-08 season.

Key Matchups
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Jerryd Bayless
Bayless gives up a couple inches to Ray, but he has the speed to stay with Ray as he runs through screens trying to get open.  Ray has been shooting the ball well and if Bayless leaves him open, hopefully Ray can make him pay. 

vs 
Paul Pierce vs DeMar DeRozan
DeRozan has been one of the bright spots for the Raptors but has gone through a slump this season at times.  Pierce should be able to get the best of this matchup, even if DeRozan is out of his slump.   

Honorable Mention
Benches
With the Celtics playing back to back, their bench will be important in this game.  If the Celtics can get good contributions from their bench they should be able to get a win in this game.   

Keys to the Game
Rebound -  The Celtics have got to crash the boards to prevent second chance points.  Rebounding takes effort and when they aren't winning the battle of the boards, they aren't putting the effort out in other areas either.  They were out rebounded by the Lakers and allowed about half of the Lakers points on tip-ins and put backs.  They have to do a better job on the boards. 

Focus - The Celtics tend to lose focus and take some teams for granted, and play down to their level.  They have to keep their focus and play their game whether they are playing the Lakers or the Rapors. 

Defense -  The Celtics must make defense their first priority in each and every game.  They have once again found their defensive identity and their win streak is a result of that.  They need to play tough defense and lock down the Raptors, just as they did the Magic a couple of weeks ago.   

Take Care of the Ball - Turnovers have been a problem for the Celtics at times.  They tend to lose their focus and make bad passes and take their eyes off the defenders at times.  They have to limit their turnovers and take care of the basketball. 

Ball Movement- The Celtics ball movement was almost non-existent against the Lakers, especially in the second half.  Too many possessions came down to a Rondo desperation jumper at the buzzer.  They were all trying to do too much and the ball wasn't moving and the players weren't moving without the ball.  They have to move the ball and find the open man.  Hero ball never works. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics played very passively against the Lakers.  They didn't drive to the hoop and settled for too many jumpers.  They also didn't hustle for loose balls and hustle for rebounds.  They allowed the Lakers to out hustle them all game, especially in the second half.  They have to be more aggressive, even against the Raptors, especially on the road. 

Game Notes
The Celtics are coming off a tough OT loss to the Lakers and with travel and back to back, this could be a tough one for them, even though they have already beaten the Raptors 4 times this season - two in preseason and two in regular season. All but one of the games were played in Boston.   

The Celtics are 8-2 in their last 10 and after winning 5 in a row, they lost their last game.  The Raptors are 4-6 in their last 10 games and have lost their last 3.  The Celtics are 3-6 at home while the Celtics are 4-4 on the road.   

This should be an easy game for the Celtics but with playing overtime and travel,  they are going to have to put out the effort.  The game isn't going to win itself, in spite of the Raptors' poor record. 

X-Factors
Back to Back and the Road
The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games after an emotional game versus the Lakers the night before.  Plus, they had to travel to Toronto and go through customs and all that stuff.  This is where they show what they are made of when the schedule gets rough and they have to win on the road. 

Re: Celtics (14-11) at Raptors (8-19) 2/10
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This may not be easy (a W for us though) with the minutes everyone played tonight!! GO CELTICS!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP.

Go Celtics! Vamos Celtas! Alléz Celtes! Avanti Celti! Vorwärts Kelten! Frente Celtas! Naar voren Kelten! Fronte Celtas!Kom så, Keltere!

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Redemption tonight, let's unleash the bench.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL!

The good thing about this season is that there is very little time to sit back and sulk about losses...another game is right around the corner.

Let's start up another streak, BOS!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Redemption tonight, let's unleash the bench.
Beating the raptors is not much of a redemption in my book.
I will wait until Sunday game against the bulls for redmpetion.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Official Report
Bill Kennedy
Home team fouls called: 19.3
Road team fouls called: 19.1
Kennedy’s 13 seasons of NBA officiating experience include 814 regular season and 42 playoff games including 3 Finals games. In addition to his NBA experience, Kennedy has 5 years officiating experience in the CBA, including working the 1996 and 1997 CBA Finals. He also officiated 2 games in the WNBA Finals in 1998,
and has 15 years of high school officiating experience in Arizona. Celtics fans will remember Kennedy's run in with Doc Rivers that resulted in both of them being fined. Yes, David Stern fined one of his precious refs and certainly, Kennedy hasn't forgotten. Here is how Doc described the incident:

"[Kennedy] stood there and goaded me and goaded me and goaded me and stared at me," Rivers said. "Look at the film. I actually walked away. He asked me, 'Where do you want the ball?' And I said, 'Ask them,' talking about our players. That's my right to say that, and I walked away. He stood there and stared me down and stared me down and goaded me until I turned around and said, 'What?' That's when I got thrown out of the game."

Doc was fined for criticizing a referee, but since the league fined Kennedy, they as much as admitted that Doc's criticism was deserved. Go figure. According to Tim Donaghy, Bill Kennedy is gay and his beef with Doc stems from Doc questioning his sexual orientation. The Celtics are 1-0 with Kennedy this season. The win was at Indiana where the Pacers shot 31 free throws to 14 for the Celtics. When the Pacers were down 7, Kennedy called a bogus flagrant foul on Pietrus that gave the Pacers 2 shots and the ball.And if that wasn't enough they called another technical on Pietrus for taunting on that same play. In a 7 point game with 34 seconds to go, they handed the Pacers 5 points. The Celtics are 7-3 over their last 10 games with Kennedy on the court. The Raptors are 0-1 this season and 4-6 in their last 10 games with Kennedy. His home W/L record this season is 15-5.

J.T. Orr
Home team fouls called: 19.1
Road team fouls called: 19.3
J.T. Orr is one of four new officials for the 2011-12 NBA season. Orr’s experience includes five seasons and 177 games officiated in the D-League. He also has four seasons of NBA preseason experience and worked in NBA summer camps for nine years.
In addition to his professional experience, Orr officiated collegiate games for 11 years and has 15 years of high school officiating experience. This is his very first game for the Celtics and the Raptors are 1-1 with Orr. His home W/L record is 9-9.

Violet Palmer
Home team fouls called: 20.2
Road team fouls called: 20.4
Violet Palmer, one of the first two female officials in the NBA, has officiated 757 regular season games and has appeared in eight playoff games over the past 14 seasons. Before joining the NBA, Palmer officiated in the WNBA during the league’s inaugural season, including the 1997 WNBA Championship. She has two years of CBA officiating experience and nine years of collegiate officiating experience as well as five NCAA Final Fours and two NCAA Championship games. Before becoming an official, Palmer was a successful basketball player both at the collegiate and
high school levels. She was a four-year letter winner at Cal. Poly Pomona, where her team won the NCAA Division II Finals in 1985 and 1986. In addition, she was on the basketball team at Compton High School. Palmer also acts as a coordinator for both the West Coast Conference and the Pac-10 Conference. At one time Violet was the worst ref in the league. In one game Cedric Maxwell was moved to urge her to go back into the kitchen because her calls were so bad. She has had Tommy close to exploding many times as well. She's improved a lot over the years and is no longer the worst ref in the league (that honor goes to Bennett Salvatore) but she's still not a great ref. Although, after getting a hug from Pierce after he ran into her in a win over the Pacers last season, the Celtics took 20 more free throws than the Pacers. The Celtics are 1-0 this season and 7-3 over their last 10 games with Violet on the court. The game this season, a win over the Wizards, the Celtics took 30 free throws to 21 for the Wizards. The Raptors are also 1-0 this season and 7-3 over their last 10 with Violet. Her home W/L record this season is 7-12. She is one of very few refs whose home W/L record favors the road team.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
That's a very sad lineup for the Raptors. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
DeRozan is too small to play the three. They gotta stop using him there.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
Two things:
1) Is Bayless definitely playing tonight?

and

2) Bill Kennedy....groan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Last I heard Bayless is a game time decision.  I left him in the starting lineup because I wasn't sure who would start in his place.  

Agreed on Kennedy...

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
Last I heard Bayless is a game time decision.  I left him in the starting lineup because I wasn't sure who would start in his place.  

Agreed on Kennedy...
Not sure how to quote twitter, but just read on Sherrod's twitter that Bayless is out.

I guess that's good news, probably wouldn't have mattered much. 

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Seems like we play Toronto every other game.  I'm sick of playing Toronto.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
WIth our current record, I'm not complaining.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

We win .667 % (42-21) of the games we play against the Raptors. I'll take it.