Author Topic: For Fans of Barstool Sports  (Read 13254 times)

For Fans of Barstool Sports
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
http://www.bcheights.com/2.5479/another-look-at-bc-blackout-1.2761162#.TyolucXLzjs

You should read this.

Quote from: Maeve Kennedy Gormly
On the evening of Mar. 28, Boston College survivors of rape will be speaking out about their experiences at Take Back the Night as part of C.A.R.E. (Concerned About Rape Education) week. At the same time, hundreds of BC students will be partying and pouring money into a blog that says some women "kind of deserve to be raped."

At BC, we learn the importance of advocating for social justice, and we learn that money talks—we pay extra for fair trade coffee and splurge on Haley House cookies in the dining halls.  People with meal plans are regularly encouraged to donate to service trips or food drives. The bookstore hikes its prices even higher for BC-branded merchandise that is not made by children for pennies per hour.

If we are to be men and women for others—or men and women with socially conscious wallets, at least—then BC students should be ashamed of themselves for shelling out up to $200 for tickets to the BC Barstool Blackout event at the House of Blues, run by the popular and misogynistic blog Barstool Sports. Close to 1,600 people have responded affirmatively to the event on Facebook.

Barstool Sports consistently objectifies and degrades women with regular features like "Guess That Ass" and "Smokeshow of the Day," in which readers are supposed to identify women by zoomed-in pictures of their derrieres and ogle attractive coeds in push-up bras.

The event overlap between Take Back the Night and the BC Barstool Blackout is especially disturbing in the context of some of the callous remarks made by Barstool bloggers:

"[E]ven though I never condone rape, if you're a size 6 and you're wearing skinny jeans you kind of deserve to be raped right? I mean skinny jeans don't look good on size 0 and 2 chicks, nevermind size 6s. So it's almost like this guy had no choice but to teach her a lesson," "El Presidente," the head editor of the blog, wrote.

In December, "El Presidente" wrote, "Just to make friends with the feminists, I'd like to reiterate that we don't condone rape of any kind at our Blackout Parties in mid January. However if a chick passes out, that's a grey area."

Violent rhetoric such as this normalizes gender violence and creates a culture of rape, the ramifications of which women and men have to deal with every day. While Barstool readers may argue that these comments are made in the name of humor or satire, reinforcing a rape culture contributes to the victimization of men and women. We have survivors of rape and sexual assault on our campus. At parties, in Mods, off campus, and in our residence halls, rape and sexual assault constitute a painful reality for many of us at BC.

Here at BC, we are supposed to be men and women for others. Although the First Amendment grants creeps like "El Presidente" the right to say that women deserve to be raped as a form of fashion advice, BC students should know better than to finance it.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: For Fans of Barstool Sports
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
this guy is a joke, he also made sexually suggestive remakrs about a toddlers Genitalia earlier this year.  Personally I never really go to the site for these reasons
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
this guy is a joke, he also made sexually suggestive remakrs about a toddlers Genitalia earlier this year.  Personally I never really go to the site for these reasons

Yeah.  I was aware before this that the site had a lot of shock/jock humor on it, but I didn't realize it was this extreme.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Seems like a Current Events thread, so everybody understand that this is on a bit of a short leash.

That said, freedom of speech works both ways. If you want to say scandalous and repugnant things unapologetically and make money off of it, there is a good chance that someone will label you a villain using their own free speech and do something about it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Seems like a Current Events thread, so everybody understand that this is on a bit of a short leash.

That said, freedom of speech works both ways. If you want to say scandalous and repugnant things unapologetically and make money off of it, there is a good chance that someone will label you a villain using their own free speech and do something about it.

I understand this is close to a current events issue, but I felt it was important to raise awareness about this, since I suspect that at least a few of the people who post here also read Barstool Sports, seeing as it's fairly popular among Boston sports fans.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Barstool is a humorous site poking fun at all things sports.  Nothing on it is meant to be or should be taken seriously.  Sure joking about rape probably isn't the best thing to do, but it is clearly a joke and not meant to encourage the conduct.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Really couldnt care less

Just a hunch but pretty sure talking about it more just fuels their fire

I find the site pretty entertaining and actually have a friend that writes on the ny one

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Barstool is a humorous site poking fun at all things sports.  Nothing on it is meant to be or should be taken seriously.  Sure joking about rape probably isn't the best thing to do, but it is clearly a joke and not meant to encourage the conduct.

Tongue in cheek is one thing, but writing that "if you're a size 6 and you're wearing skinny jeans you kind of deserve to be raped" is offensive and completely unacceptable in any context.

Even if you can claim that these things are "fratire," condoning that sort of humor and supporting the people / entities that use it normalizes rape, sexual assault, and degradation of women.  In other words, if you don't speak out when people make those kinds of jokes, writing them off as mere "shock humor," you deny the severity of the subject matter.  It minimizes the reality that rape and sexual assault actual do happen to normal people -- all of the time -- and it is not a laughing matter to them or to the people who love them.

Some things are just not okay to joke about.  We should have the same attitude in our culture about rape humor that we have about people who use racial slurs to get a laugh.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Barstool is a humorous site poking fun at all things sports.  Nothing on it is meant to be or should be taken seriously.  Sure joking about rape probably isn't the best thing to do, but it is clearly a joke and not meant to encourage the conduct.

Satire can be a tricky grey area. Rape jokes, however, are usually never funny. I still find the Kobe Bryant jokes to be kind of repugnant most times. Nearly always with Ben Rothlisberger (those usually seem to be a bit more vulgar).

Jokes like the ones listed above go beyond my own threshold, mostly because they're just vulgar and not at all funny. There's no meat there beyond 'ha, ha, rape'. No style, no irony, just dumbed down shock value humor.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Really couldnt care less

Just a hunch but pretty sure talking about it more just fuels their fire

I find the site pretty entertaining and actually have a friend that writes on the ny one

The point of taking a stand against this sort of thing is to remind people that rape and sexual assault are real.  It's easy for people to joke about things until they are confronted by normal people -- people they see every day -- for whom rape and sexual assault are a reality they must carry with them throughout the rest of their lives.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I've said it before, but I've been bummed by the direction he's taken the site in. I think he's legitimately a pretty talented guy and can be pretty genuinely funny. But throughout the years it's kind of played more and more to the lowest common denominator.

It's making him a lot of money I'm sure, and I can't say put in the same position I wouldn't do the same thing, but as an outsider it's disappointing.

The rape thing seems like a swing and a miss of a joke in an attempt for him to play up his own schtick. Personally, not offended by it.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
The big issue at play is that the blog is essentially "locker room talk"  that obviously goes beyond those confines.  What's all in jest to some may not appear that way to others due to the medium used to deliver the message...It's tough to tell what's a joke and what's serious when it's in type.

When you put that stuff on the internet, you're obviously going to get backlash, but i think barstool's arguement here is that it isn't saying anything that comediens like Daniel Tosh/Louis C.K./ect haven't said before.  I'm not on board with 100% of the stuff they run with on that site, but i'm still ok with it, overall.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The big issue at play is that the blog is essentially "locker room talk"  that obviously goes beyond the those confines.  What's all in jest to some may not appear that way to others due to the medium used to deliver the message...It's tough to tell what's a joke and what's serious when it's in type.

When you put that stuff on the internet, you're obviously going to get backlash, but i think barstool's arguement here is that it isn't saying anything that comediens like Daniel Tosh/Louis C.K./ect haven't said before.

I think that's true, but I also think it should be noted that Tosh, and especially Louis C.k. really, really funny. And, when they air something out they haven't rehearsed extensively (for Tosh, its on his show when he goes off the cuff, for LCK, apparently its when he gets drunk and gets told what twitter is), it usually goes off like a fart in church when they try to publicly do the shock stuff.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
Meh, fake life stuff. People blowing his comments out of proportion and making this a bigger deal than it is. Then he calls them out for it, and they add fuel to the fire, and he just mocks them p---ing them off even more. Why attempt to "fight the power" of this guy who clearly made a joke and doesn't condone rape? It's bizarro-world stuff.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Meh, fake life stuff. People blowing his comments out of proportion and making this a bigger deal than it is. Then he calls them out for it, and they add fuel to the fire, and he just mocks them p---ing them off even more. Why attempt to "fight the power" of this guy who clearly made a joke and doesn't condone rape? It's bizarro-world stuff.

It's tough to take your argument too seriously when you're ripping off his own vernacular.