Author Topic: Soccer riot in Egypt kills 73 (so far)  (Read 7985 times)

Soccer riot in Egypt kills 73 (so far)
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Re: Soccer riot in Egypt kills 73 (so far)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Two countries actually went to war over the results of one of the earliest world cups, it might have been Uraguay and Paraguay.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Two countries actually went to war over the results of one of the earliest world cups, it might have been Uraguay and Paraguay.

Whhaaatttt?

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Not the first time Football match turns into War. It's heartbreaking situation for family of the deceased coming back in a body bag after a football match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAjo5aqEBU

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/01/world/africa/egypt-soccer-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Am I the only one who finds this crazy? 
That has got to be like exhibit D or so for reasons I'm happy I live here

You know what's rrrreeeeallllyyyyy crazy about all this?   Alcohol is forbidden in Islam.  So all those people are sober. Give or take.

Maybe they were chewing that khat thing that agitates people and gives you energy. I have no idea if there's something fueling this. I hear the middle east is big on tea, but I can't chalk that up to caffeein.

The only thing I can think of that strikes me as similarly crazy is pepper spraying peaceful protesters and 80 year old women.

That excludes nuts that stockpile massive amounts of weapons and whatnot...total nuts don't count. This theoretically should be fairly sane normal people.

I guess college rioting is equally insane....that stuff in Vancouver was nuts.  But that in many cases is pretty young people with alcohol

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
unreal....are those loud sounds tear gas or something? Rubber bullets?  Look at the players running for their lives.  Unreal

Ok.....updating the bucket list right now

attend a soccer match in the middle east

actually wait.....

attend a soccer match anywhere  exceptions for world cup, Britain, and Ireland

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
omg....my brother in law is in Egypt on vacation!  Oh fudge...at least he looks kinda mid eastern, but his wife is blonde as heck....i TOLD him to get on facebook [dang it]....so not good so not good..he's way more of a basketball guy. OMG he's in Cairo....look at this...The military deploys planes to transport team, injured!

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
omg....my brother in law is in Egypt on vacation!  Oh fudge...at least he looks kinda mid eastern, but his wife is blonde as heck....i TOLD him to get on facebook [dang it]

lol Egypt is a big country you know. what are chances he attended the football match in Port Said, Egypt?

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
omg....my brother in law is in Egypt on vacation!  Oh fudge...at least he looks kinda mid eastern, but his wife is blonde as heck....i TOLD him to get on facebook [dang it]

lol Egypt is a big country you know. what are chances he attended the football match in Port Said, Egypt?
CNN said "Cairo", but maybe that's just where the writer is. He does like soccer but his wife doesn't. But he's totally the kind of guy that would have bought the jersey of the most popular team if it were cheap.   We can't reach him.  It's gonna be a long week

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

CNN said "Cairo", but maybe that's just where the writer is. He does like soccer but his wife doesn't. But he's totally the kind of guy that would have bought the jersey of the most popular team if it were cheap.   We can't reach him.  It's gonna be a long week

football match is in Port Said, Egypt some 3hr drive from Cairo, Egypt according to Google maps http://tinyurl.com/7trdb3z

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »

Kiorrik

He'll be fine m8, seems like it'd be fairly out of his way to go there.

Really, plus I'm assuming he'd be smart enough to get the heck out when stuff started happening? ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I dont understand how all the people died, the video doesnt look that violent. Apparently there were fans dying after being chased under the stadium with their team.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels