Author Topic: Pacers/Celtics/Hornets trade idea  (Read 4010 times)

Pacers/Celtics/Hornets trade idea
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce
Hornets - O'Neal, Stephenson, 7 mill trade exception

Why for Celtics - Kaman is better than O'Neal (both are health risks) and Granger is a younger version of Pierce (though not as good this year, probably will be next year and better the year after).  Granger is also a bit cheaper going forward providing slightly more flexibility.

Why for the Pacers - Pierce may be the guy that can get them over the top this year and would be a solid championship level veteran to guide the youngsters

Why for Hornets - they save about 7 million this year, get another young talented player to look at, and pick up a trade exception that they can use until this time next year

Other pieces could also be included, maybe the Celtics could send Bradley to the Pacers and get George Hill back (or something like that).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Pacers/Celtics/Hornets trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce

Why for Celtics - Kaman is better than O'Neal (both are health risks) and Granger is a younger version of Pierce (though not as good this year, probably will be next year and better the year after).  Granger is also a bit cheaper going forward providing slightly more flexibility.

Why for the Pacers - Pierce may be the guy that can get them over the top this year and would be a solid championship level veteran to guide the youngsters

Why for Hornets - they save about 7 million this year, get another young talented player to look at, and pick up a trade exception that they can use until this time next year

Other pieces could also be included, maybe the Celtics could send Bradley to the Pacers and get George Hill back (or something like that).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6pyp5jr
Never, ever trade Pierce. That should be a new rule on CB.

Celtics lineup:
PG Collison/[sign a vet]/Bradley
SG Pierce/Moore
SF Granger/Pietrus/Pavlovic
PF Garnett/Bass
C  Kaman/Wilcox/Stiemsma
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Pierce for Granger is still an intriguing trade if we're not looking like serious contenders by the trade deadline.  Granger's younger and cheaper than Pierce, and offers comparable scoring ability (though much less in the way of playmaking). 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce

Celtics lineup:
SG Pierce/Moore
PF Garnett/Bass
C  Kaman/Wilcox/Stiemsma

Pierce can no longer play SG.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
For the first time in a long time around these forums I actually kinda like the OP's proposal... However, I would never trade Pierce. Especially after how easy he has been making basketball look lately...

I like the idea of getting both Kaman and Granger but I just dont think we could pull it off.

If we could trade JO and Ray and somehow get Granger and Kaman with three teams involved then I would be all for it.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »

Offline Bean_town fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
hornets want a young player and a first rounder in return for Kaman

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce

Why for Celtics - Kaman is better than O'Neal (both are health risks) and Granger is a younger version of Pierce (though not as good this year, probably will be next year and better the year after).  Granger is also a bit cheaper going forward providing slightly more flexibility.

Celtics lineup:
SG Pierce/Moore
PF Garnett/Bass
C  Kaman/Wilcox/Stiemsma

That's an inspired trade idea.  Nice job man.  There aren't many holes I can poke in it from a logic standpoint.  TP

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:33:16 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce

Celtics lineup:
SG Pierce/Moore
PF Garnett/Bass
C  Kaman/Wilcox/Stiemsma

That's an inspired trade idea.  Nice job man.  There aren't many holes I can poke in it from a logic standpoint.  TP

Granger's 28 and his numbers have been declining for the last 3 years. He's not some kid that's going to be getting better as he matures. As for the second trade, we give up the best player in the deal and arguably the second best as well. In the nba, a quarter is better than three dimes, but that trade's like a quarter and a dime for a dime and a couple of nickels.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce

Why for Celtics - Kaman is better than O'Neal (both are health risks) and Granger is a younger version of Pierce (though not as good this year, probably will be next year and better the year after).  Granger is also a bit cheaper going forward providing slightly more flexibility.

Celtics lineup:
SG Pierce/Moore
PF Garnett/Bass
C  Kaman/Wilcox/Stiemsma

Granger's 28 and his numbers have been declining for the last 3 years. He's not some kid that's going to be getting better as he matures. As for the second trade, we give up the best player in the deal and arguably the second best as well. In the nba, a quarter is better than three dimes, but that trade's like a quarter and a dime for a dime and a couple of nickels.

Looking at the second trade from a logic standpoint:

For Celtics:  Going from Rondo to Collison is a sure downgrade, but he's super cheap, younger than Rondo and still on his rookie contract.  Capable player.  Getting Granger for elderly Ray more than makes up for it.  We don't lose Pierce in the process (I believe Pierce remains better than Granger for the next few years) and although Granger (28 years old) is paid a bit, his contract would line up with Pierce's (2 years).  Brilliant.  Meanwhile we dump JO and a prospect (jaJuan Johnson), but get a legit starting center (Kaman) who comes off the books at the end of the year unless we want to extend him.

The key to that trade from Boston's standpoint:  You take on Granger's 13 mil, but lose Rondo's 11 mil.  Collison adds another 2.3 mil.  SO if you're following along... if you let Kaman walk, your cap room is only impacted by -5 mil, but you have a core of Collison, Granger and Pierce already locked in with some 20 mil in cap space that you could still offer to a guy like Howard.  If you do nothing, this team has Pierce, Rondo and 25 mil in cap space... It's basically boils down to whether you think Collison and Granger combined = Rondo.

For Pacers:  From checking their fan forums, they are pretty down on Granger.  THey don't like him.  They love Paul George and believe (possibly irrationally) that he's a phenom.  There are several threads about, "it's time to trade Granger".  No brainer here.  Play Paul George at his natural SF position, get a gamer in Ray Allen and get a major upgrade of Rondo over Collison.  Can't see them saying no to it.

For the Clippers:  Getting a young prospect JaJuan Johnson and shedding some money (about 5 mil) this year (I assume this works, because the Pacers take on salary?) ought to be enough for them to move Kaman.

Not saying I would necessarily do it.  I'm just saying that logically, this is one of the few trades I've ever seen on this forum that actually checks out.  Lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:40:32 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
hornets want a young player and a first rounder in return for Kaman
I can't see that happening.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Celtics - Kaman, Granger
Pacers - Pierce

Celtics lineup:
SG Pierce/Moore
PF Garnett/Bass
C  Kaman/Wilcox/Stiemsma

Looking at the second trade from a logic standpoint:

For Celtics:  Going from Rondo to Collison is a sure downgrade, but he's super cheap, younger than Rondo and still on his rookie contract.  Capable player.  Getting Granger for elderly Ray more than makes up for it.  We don't lose Pierce in the process (I believe Pierce remains better than Granger for the next few years) and although Granger (28 years old) is paid a bit, his contract would line up with Pierce's (2 years).  Brilliant.  Meanwhile we dump JO and a prospect (jaJuan Johnson), but get a legit starting center (Kaman) who comes off the books at the end of the year unless we want to extend him.

The key to that trade from Boston's standpoint:  You take on Granger's 13 mil, but lose Rondo's 11 mil.  Collison adds another 2.3 mil.  SO if you're following along... if you let Kaman walk, your cap room is only impacted by -5 mil, but you have a core of Collison, Granger and Pierce already locked in with some 20 mil in cap space that you could still offer to a guy like Howard.  If you do nothing, this team has Pierce, Rondo and 25 mil in cap space... It's basically boils down to whether you think Collison and Granger combined = Rondo.

For Pacers:  From checking their fan forums, they are pretty down on Granger.  THey don't like him.  They love Paul George and believe (possibly irrationally) that he's a phenom.  There are several threads about, "it's time to trade Granger".  No brainer here.  Play Paul George at his natural SF position, get a gamer in Ray Allen and get a major upgrade of Rondo over Collison.  Can't see them saying no to it.

Did you think maybe there's a reason that all the fans want to trade Granger? He's not that great a player and he plays the same position as PP. Collison's pretty ordinary as well. Two decent players for one star player is a clear downgrade.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I can't see Indiana giving up a 28 year old Danny Granger for a 34 year old Paul Pierce.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Very interesting trade.  Rondo+Ray for Granger and Collison.  I think I do that one.

In terms of Pierce playing SG, I don't see that as an issue.  He is a very good defender.  He would have trouble with the smaller SGs but think how much trouble the smaller SGs would have trying to stop Pierce on the other end.  We would win that mismatch.

In terms of the Kaman part (that is a separate deal as presented in the second proposed trade idea), it seems NO could get more for him but I think I would do that part too if NO would.  That seems like a good deal for us.  It is very hard to tell what JaJuan is going to be as a player so you don't know what you are giving up.

I don't think Indiana would do this though.  I think we value Rondo more than the rest of the league does.  I see Larry Bird as old school and wanting a PG that can shoot.