Author Topic: Great time to trade & Why I love Danny Ainge  (Read 8134 times)

Great time to trade & Why I love Danny Ainge
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's why I love Danny Ainge.  The guy has guts.  

Back in December of 2003 the Celtics were suddenly "clicking".  They had rattled off an improbable 5 game win streak to take the team to 12-12.  It was their longest win streak in a while ...

And then suddenly:  December 15, 2003:  Ainge traded forwards Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown and center Tony Battie to the Cleveland Cavaliers for guard Ricky Davis, centers Chris Mihm and Michael Stewart and a second-round draft pick.

Fans (the little of us who actually followed that crap team) were shocked.  You traded a key roleplayer like Eric Williams and a key big man like Tony Battie to take back talented, but nuts, RIcky Davis!?!

That's guts, baby.  That's a guy who is willing to take a chance.  Ainge didn't care about our petty win steak.  He knew that team wasn't a contender, so he pulled the trigger on a deal which had the potential to bring us some real talent.  Whether it worked out or not didn't matter... it was a chance he felt worth taking and there was no better time to trade his guys than while their stock was hot in the midst of a win streak.

Ask anyone with sense and they will tell you this 2012 team, even at full strength, will be destroyed by the Heat or Bulls.  Just bad luck.  Jeff Green got hurt, David West teased us and Krstik is overseas.  We have no starting center.  Anyone with perspective can see this team is playoff fodder for a real contender.  Say what you want about Danny Ainge, but he's a guy with perspective and long-term vision.

A petty 3 game win streak isn't going to do anything to sway his opinion of this team.  If anything, it HELPS him blow it up.  Nobody wants to trade for a washed up Pierce... but a Paul Pierce who just proved he could lead a team to a three game win streak almost by himself?... THAT has value.  THAT's the kind of play that can convince a team like Indiana to give up a prospect like Paul George AND a 1st rounder for Pierce.    

KG showing life?... that's the kind of play that could convince a contending team to trade a late 1st rounder for him (not that any of them exist with expiring contracts to match)...

Ainge has proven to me to be the kind of guy who will sell high and buy low... even if the guy he buys low doesn't pan out.  I'm bracing myself for a shakeup.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:58:40 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Great time to trade & Why I love Danny Ainge
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's why I love Danny Ainge.  The guy has guts.  

Back in December of 2003 the Celtics were suddenly "clicking".  They had rattled off an improbable 5 game win streak to take the team to 12-12.  It was their longest win streak in a while ...

And then suddenly:  December 15, 2003:  Ainge traded forwards Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown and center Tony Battie to the Cleveland Cavaliers for guard Ricky Davis, centers Chris Mihm and Michael Stewart and a second-round draft pick.

Fans (the little of us who actually followed that crap team) were shocked.  You traded a key roleplayer like Eric Williams and a key big man like Tony Battie to take back talented, but nuts, RIcky Davis!?!

That's guts, baby.  That's a guy who is willing to take a chance.  Ainge didn't care about our petty win steak.  He knew that team wasn't a contender, so he pulled the trigger on a deal which had the potential to bring us some real talent.  Whether it worked out or not didn't matter... it was a chance he felt worth taking and there was no better time to trade his guys than while their stock was hot in the midst of a win streak.

Ask anyone with sense and they will tell you this 2012 team, even at full strength, will be destroyed by the Heat or Bulls.  Just bad luck.  Jeff Green got hurt, David West teased us and Krstik is overseas.  We have no starting center.  Anyone with perspective can see this team is playoff fodder for a real contender.  Say what you want about Danny Ainge, but he's a guy with perspective and long-term vision.

A petty 3 game win streak isn't going to do anything to sway his opinion of this team.  If anything, it HELPS him blow it up.  Nobody wants to trade for a washed up Pierce... but a Paul Pierce who just proved he could lead a team to a three game win streak almost by himself?... THAT has value.  THAT's the kind of play that can convince a team like Indiana to give up a prospect like Paul George AND a 1st rounder for Pierce.    

KG showing life?... that's the kind of play that could convince a contending team to trade a late 1st rounder for him (not that any of them exist with expiring contracts to match)...

Ainge has proven to me to be the kind of guy who will sell high and buy low... even if the guy he buys low doesn't pan out.  I'm bracing myself for a shakeup.
Dude, you are OBSESSING with blowing this team up.

Danny said in an interview on WEEI that he would make a trade that made sense but that he wasn't actively looking to do anything because he was going to give this team time to round into shape and prove itself.

It's rounding into shape and proving itself. It just put on three of the most dazzling defensive halves of basketball ever seen.

He is not making any trade any time soon.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Seriously, was anyone really surprised when Danny traded for Ricky Davis? I mean, aside from Obie?

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Look, I'm all for Danny making the team better.

But I pray that THIS TIME when he trades - he's mindful of the affect it could have on the team.

Febuary 2011 was SO DESTRUCTIVE to this team...I'll never forget it.

I agree with who was traded and what we got in return and WHY it happened, but man! That trade took the wind out of Boston's sails.

I just don't think that team recovered fully after that.

Chemistry is SO important to this team - perhaps more important than any other team out there. It's always been Boston's way.

For me, any trade should be in the very back of Danny's mind right now.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Danny said in an interview on WEEI that he would make a trade that made sense but that he wasn't actively looking to do anything because he was going to give this team time to round into shape and prove itself.

It's rounding into shape and proving itself. It just put on three of the most dazzling defensive halves of basketball ever seen.

We'll see.   I think we would have already blown this team up had the opportunity presented itself.  I don't blame teams being cautious about trading for a 34 year old Pierce (locked up for 3 years) when he's playing like he was earlier.  It's good to see he still has it.  Nobody wants a washed up vet.  We're still sitting under .500 and the only winning team we've managed to beat is the Magic... a team so devoid of talent that Dwight Howard is supposedly leaving them soon.

Ainge will give the team a little longer... hopefully our assets prove valuable enough that we can get some late 1st rounders for them.   It's for the greater good.  The sooner we start, the sooner we can return to contention (hopefully in as little as 5 years).

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

We'll see.   I think we would have already blown this team up had the opportunity presented itself.  I don't blame teams being cautious about trading for a 34 year old Pierce (locked up for 3 years) when he's playing like he was earlier.  It's good to see he still has it.  Nobody wants a washed up vet.  We're still sitting under .500 and the only winning team we've managed to beat is the Magic... a team so devoid of talent that Dwight Howard is supposedly leaving them soon.

Ainge will give the team a little longer... hopefully our assets prove valuable enough that we can get some late 1st rounders for them.

Yipee I love late 1st rounders!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'll throw this out there too.  Indiana seems like the most logical trade destination for Pierce.  Tonight can be key.  Hopefully Pierce has a GREAT game against them.   The Pacers don't return to Boston this season... so after this game would be a great time to make the trade.  That way we can save the Paul Pierce homecoming game until next year.  Had AInge traded him a couple weeks ago, we'd have to go through the agony of watching Pierce and the Pacers destroy us tonight.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I'll throw this out there too.  Indiana seems like the most logical trade destination for Pierce.  Tonight can be key.  Hopefully Pierce has a GREAT game against them.   The Pacers don't return to Boston this season... so after this game would be a great time to make the trade.  That way we can save the Paul Pierce homecoming game until next year.  Had AInge traded him a couple weeks ago, we'd have to go through the agony of watching Pierce and the Pacers destroy us tonight.

You serious?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You serious?
You obviously have seen him posting around the blog GF.

He's serious....

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

You serious?

He's serious....

Wow.

I guess I'd make a lousy GM, then.

I wouldn't touch this team right now, the way they are playing.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You serious?

He's serious....

Wow.

I guess I'd make a lousy GM, then.

I wouldn't touch this team right now, the way they are playing.

Call me a lousy GM too, because I'm right there along side you my friend. This team while shorthanded just put on three of the most amazing displays of defensive basketball that can be seen in half a game that I have ever seen. Two of them in one game.

Gotta ride the horses until they die at this point.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
A trade could happen at any time, but I don't think GM's around the league are all of a sudden calling Danny off the hook because of the last two games.  Every team and/or player has good and bad stretches.  Rumors that teams were calling for Pierce surfaced before he even started playing well, because they saw value in him for what's he's been able to do, not what he did in hte last week.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Why did Sheldon Williams feel the need to chime in?   ;)

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
A trade could happen at any time, but I don't think GM's around the league are all of a sudden calling Danny off the hook because of the last two games.  Every team and/or player has good and bad stretches.  Rumors that teams were calling for Pierce surfaced before he even started playing well, because they saw value in him for what's he's been able to do, not what he did in hte last week.

Paul, Moore, Bradley, and KG have all improved their trade value lately. :-\
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird